Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Being an LCD, it would have to be, I don't think I've ever seen an actual 1280x720 panel.

My friend has a pretty old 27in 1280x720 Westinghouse LCD. Doesn't even have HDMI or DVI, but I love it; it's the only fixed pixel television I've come across that doesn't have crazy input lag. Too bad it has some nasty ghosting problems.

All 720p sets I've seen in recent years have been ~1366x768 for whatever reason.

Are you sure the native resolution of the set is not actually 1360x768?

it is of course, 1360 x 768 :smile:

however, I doubt extra 80 x 48 lines would provide any significant increase on the level of detail, rather I think it's just the poor downscale work the game does internally.

just wonder does the PC version of GTA 4 has the same texture dithering effects as the 360 version? If it doesn't then I really dont think the effects is intentional on the 360, because I find very distracting. If they are a intentional post processing effects then it would most likely be added in the PC version in the graphic option.

In the pre-release screens for the PC version of GTAIV, you can see that the filter used in the 360 version is indeed enabled, however, I haven't seen a single user posted screenshot with that effect. I did read, however, I did stumble upon this in a forum: "Also, pressing "P" ingame will turn on motion blur and a depth blur kind of effect that masks edges (like in the console versions)". I believe this is the same effect used on 360.

In the pre-release screens for the PC version of GTAIV, you can see that the filter used in the 360 version is indeed enabled, however, I haven't seen a single user posted screenshot with that effect. I did read, however, I did stumble upon this in a forum: "Also, pressing "P" ingame will turn on motion blur and a depth blur kind of effect that masks edges (like in the console versions)". I believe this is the same effect used on 360.

Sounds more like the PS3 effect, the 360 dithering is nothing like a blur.

just wonder does the PC version of GTA 4 has the same texture dithering effects as the 360 version? If it doesn't then I really dont think the effects is intentional on the 360, because I find very distracting. If they are a intentional post processing effects then it would most likely be added in the PC version in the graphic option.

Not sure about it but maybe its visible on these screenshots from the PC version?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1245258&postcount=521
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1245257&postcount=520
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1245256&postcount=519

Sounds more like the PS3 effect, the 360 dithering is nothing like a blur.

I think judging by screenshots of both versions that they both have it but its more pronounced in PS3 version due to lower resolution.

I dont see it in the PC shots actually not even in the earlier one that someone mention, they were even sharper and less jaggy than most screen shots that gamer has posted running on their rig probably because they were meant for promotion purpose. Shadows dont really count, Im talking strictly about the texture, I remember the shadows in both version has dithering but not the texture in the PS3 version.

Grandmaster will there be a comparison between GTA4 PC and console versions?

I'm on a week's holiday at the moment. I doubt anything will appear on Eurogamer, but I do something for my blog if I have time. It would be a nice excuse to use some of the new technology at my disposal for re-analysing the console versions too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think judging by screenshots of both versions that they both have it but its more pronounced in PS3 version due to lower resolution.

I guess you missed this multi-page thread on GTA4 dithering then. No PS3 SS had the effect, it was purely a 360 artifact.

1280x704, 2xAA

This has been in this thread for a while.
I've been wondering about this though... there are no borders in the retail game. So I'm wondering if they ended up going with 1280x720, or if they simply zoomed in a bit.

I'm also wondering if they used QAA or MSAA (I'm guessing QAA) but the game looks so sharp compared to other games that use QAA (Ratchet, Resistance, Far Cry 2).

I actually just loaded up that same comparison, and checked here while it was buffering. The first shot I saw instantly suggested QAA.

Back