Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Replying to COD5 question. It's most likely sub 720p as the previous COD4 game. ie 1024x600p 2xaa.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm mostly interested in the 1080p resolution for CoD. Jaggies are much worse in 1080p mode. In addition "waiting" text in multiplayer seems to be stretched wider, suggesting a non 16:9 resolution that wasn't properly accounted for.

Differences on the rocky wall behind the pipes is lower res texture but once again I believe it's due to more agressive mipmapping.

Why would they do more aggressive mipmapping (rather than smaller textures) on a machine which has, in general, more bandwidth, more texturing units, but less memory?

I have the impression that the textures in the PS3 version are slightly more defined in some places than the 360 version. Then again I could be wrong

edit: here is a brief observation in the first shot

The textures of the 2 characters in the foreground seem to depict slightly better textures on the PS3. Check particularly the standing soldier's hand. The shadow's are slightly crispier on the PS3 but on the 360 they are softer. Someone might say that they are a bit "jaggied" on the PS3.

The right character in the background though seems to be missing some objects in the PS3. There is some difference in the lighting effects too. I am not sure if this is context dependable though.

edit 2: I also noticed that the interior lighting effects are probably slightly better on the 360 on some places (see ceiling)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ noticed the same things.

One other thing I noticed (in the third pic to be specific) some of things on the PS3 version seem to shine/have more reflection while the 360 version is a little flat in comparison.

Do they both use 2xAA like CoD4? Hard to tell from those shots.

edit: vines also seem to be absent on the PS3 version (4th pic).

The jungle scene in Shot4 appears to have escaped comment - it's pared down very noticeably on PS3.
I just edited my post. Vines appear to be absent on the PS3 version.
So to sum up my findings - the 360 version has more objects in the environments and has softer, less jagged shadows. The PS3 version has more detail in objects/character models and slightly more sheen on certain objects (like straps, trees etc.).

edit: the moon in the night shots shines brighter in the 360 version. Not sure if that has to do with the slightly different angle (360 version is aimed slightly more towards the moon).

the 360 version has more objects in the environments and has softer, less jagged shadows.

Softer yes, less jagged - no, I think the PS3 version has higher-res shadows (see the top of the tank turret in the bottom right corner on the jungle shot).

Post updated with two more pics. Shot5 shows that PS3 has some pretty low-res textures too. Shot6 confirms that the shiny texture effect is more pronounced on PS3.

Its kind of inconsistent. In some places it seems to have higher res textures, and in others worse. The shoe particularly in shot 5.

Any chance of getting some 1080p captures on CoD, Grandmaster?

I'm rather curious about how it's being achieved on PS3, as 720p mode is seemingly sub-720, and the scaling resolutions supported by the PS3 are all higher than 720, no?

As with CoD 4, in some instances the 360 version looks better in others the PS3.

Mod edit : Removed off topic points. The above comment is inadequate - you need to qualify it with observations as to where the XB360 is better. This is an analysis thread.

Many of the shots are showcasing some sort of "sheen" for PS3 textures that seems to be in the 360 version but considerably less apparent on the 360. What process is causing this (specular?)??

Viewing the "shot 5" the ground and particularly rock work around the small flame (though other areas as well) to the left look as if the 360 is using a higher level of AF, but this doesnt seem to be the case throughout various other shots. Surely this wouldnt represent a case by case scenario for AF levels in the versions would it (as I would imagine AF to be a constant)?? Or would the difference in the rock work be related to texture quality/res. more so than AF levels??

Nice job Grandmaster, in getting those W@W shots so closely synch'ed. Very impressive job, as usual. It's interesting flipping between the three different platforms, I feel like the lighting and anti-aliasing are the biggest differences between the two consoles. There are interesting shots that show objects that aren't on one platform, but my eyes are definitely more drawn to aliasing, and harshness of lighting/shading effects that results in detail loss. I'll have a look at your blog, because I'd like to see the differences between static images vs. objects in motion.

Shot 5 unlike some other shots depict an extra object on the PS3 version absent from both the PC and the 360.

The differences between the two consoles are a bit strange.

Back