[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

Yes, AFAIK. The GOTY edition came with everything but of course this new addition. I want to take a look at it, but U2 is consuming all my free time!

Water is just by level right, and there are no drips or fountains or sources/spawnable water objects?

Right, there aren't any drips, fountains, or "air pockets" that you can create beneath the waters surface. Basically it's global, and you get a few new tools with it.

First is the Global Water tool, which can be connected to a number of switch types to raise and lower your water level. Then there's the water sensor, which can identify if an object is under water or not (so you can make switches that need to be submerged). Lastly, you get the scuba gear which lets you breathe forever under water, and the air bubbles which give you an additional 30 seconds of air.

My wife finally played it a few days ago.

She had a lot of trouble with the jumping and grabbing mechanics of the game. I also played it for a little bit with my own PSN account--so far it's not grabbing onto me as much as I thought it would

Planning on playing some more--what download levels do you suggest playing to start with? Or would recommend playing more of the disc levels first (GOTY edition)?

I'd definitely try out the Little Resident Big Evil levels (by Alphie Alpha). Anything by Jayden will be pretty good. You can also search "RangerZero" he's got some good levels as well.

If you want to play some fun puzzle based stuff, play "Submarine Sabotage". Really excellent water level.

I'll think of some more later, but there's a lot of them!

My wife finally played it a few days ago.

She had a lot of trouble with the jumping and grabbing mechanics of the game. I also played it for a little bit with my own PSN account--so far it's not grabbing onto me as much as I thought it would

Muahaha... this is why I almost threw my controller in some levels. Wait till a little kid with hands barely large enough to reach the triggers beat a level you gave up on.

EDIT:
Okay, to be more constructive ^_^

I think, like me, there may be a disconnect between your expectation and the game. So far, the absolute best levels are the frustrating ones I almost quit halfway. When we finally made it to the end, we ran around the coffee table and wave/scream like Olympic winners. It's rather "old school" in that aspect. I didn't expect LBP to be a game like this (I thought it would be warm and fuzzy through and through).

The other kind of levels we like are the beautifully crafted and imaginative ones. It's like a trip to the creator's mind. When you follow other SackBoys to their home, you can also see their personality. I don't think I can forget deepbrown's Pod. After interacting with him for a short while (He's direct, helpful and aggressive -- like a hot-headed man), I was shocked to see bright orange color and flowers everywhere in his Pod. May be he has a soft, tender heart. ^_^

A few of us posted some recommended levels in this thread earlier on.

Now I am wondering if the WiiWaa concept can work in LittleBigPlanet.

I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that new content like the Pirates of the Carribean downloadable content may be more user-friendly (just actually tried a tiny bit, which seems to confirm it). Personally I found that eventually the game mostly wasn't that hard, but there are one or two wtf moments in it. But there are a lot of far easier or more straightforward levels online for sure.

Guys, thanks a bunch.

I will definitely be spending more time on LBP, the wife....I'm not so sure. She usually either likes something from the start or she doesn't. She really liked the vids I showed her when it first released, but didn't seemed to impressed playing it. Maybe she'll come around watching me play some more.

Water is just by level right, and there are no drips or fountains or sources/spawnable water objects?

You can create a dripping effect with the paint gun...check out my 'free rainclouds' level for more details and all the bits you need, whilst you can't have water 'fill' something at least you can create an atmosphere - a dripping pipe or wall (etc)

Just out of curisoity, does everyone here create their levels by "carving" or do they do so by compartmentalizing sections one by one?

You can't really 'carve' as shapes can quickly get too complicated. Needs a mixture of both, carving pieces to be assembled.

You can create a dripping effect with the paint gun...check out my 'free rainclouds' level for more details and all the bits you need, whilst you can't have water 'fill' something at least you can create an atmosphere - a dripping pipe or wall (etc)
Yes, I suppose so. I have seen drips. Do paintballs explode on contact with the water or drop through it? I suppose you could also spawn other items. I could probably work my waterfall method as a gushing tap and link that to an increasing water level.

I'm getting ideas...

Anyone tried cooperative building BTW? It's been out a while and I haven't heard anything about it!

You can't really 'carve' as shapes can quickly get too complicated. Needs a mixture of both, carving pieces to be assembled.

Yes, I suppose so. I have seen drips. Do paintballs explode on contact with the water or drop through it? I suppose you could also spawn other items. I could probably work my waterfall method as a gushing tap and link that to an increasing water level.

I'm getting ideas...

Anyone tried cooperative building BTW? It's been out a while and I haven't heard anything about it!

Well, the way I was previously building was by creating large chunks of level, and then cutting paths in them, then using the corner editor to tidy them up. And, as you said, it quickly turned into a big mess, and complicated things greatly. I'm going to work on creating much smaller sections and then place them together later using rods, bolts, etc. I prefer not to glue, because it can be troublesome.

I tried the co-op creation, and for the most part it works rather well, but it can be bothersome when one person makes a mistake as it can cause a little confusion if you're not paying attention. Though, the "host" is the only one with control (rewind, pause, etc). I thought it was great though, if not mostly for some company and brainstorming.

Guys, thanks a bunch.

I will definitely be spending more time on LBP, the wife....I'm not so sure. She usually either likes something from the start or she doesn't. She really liked the vids I showed her when it first released, but didn't seemed to impressed playing it. Maybe she'll come around watching me play some more.

Please try my two beginner friendly levels, Kids Easy Fun: Beginner and Kids Easy Fun: Sunny Dungeon. I created these for my two kids (7 & 5). They had a lot of play testing!

Psn id: NickLaslett

Well, the way I was previously building was by creating large chunks of level, and then cutting paths in them, then using the corner editor to tidy them up. And, as you said, it quickly turned into a big mess, and complicated things greatly. I'm going to work on creating much smaller sections and then place them together later using rods, bolts, etc. I prefer not to glue, because it can be troublesome.
Now I think about it, a workaround I found was create a huge block from pieces and then carve out these. These keeps local piece complexity within the engine's limits.

In three months time (fingers crossed) with motion control editing (fingers more crossed) LBP should get a new lease of life.

Now I think about it, a workaround I found was create a huge block from pieces and then carve out these. These keeps local piece complexity within the engine's limits.

In three months time (fingers crossed) with motion control editing (fingers more crossed) LBP should get a new lease of life.

Yea, this is exactly how I've started creating more recently. I've reworked my "workflow" in creation. Now I start by sketching out "set pieces" each being broken down into 4 large sections into which I create my area's. Granted, I'm not going to stick to this formula as it can really limit my options and make things seem "samey".

Really excited to create though after having recently watched Avatar.

Edit: I know this is a silly request, but is there anyway we could get the "impressions" removed from the Thread Title? I don't know why it bothers me...but it does, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm getting ideas...

Not tried that yet, however they leave paint stains on floors, what I do to avoid this is adjust the 'life' of the drop (again my level explains) :)

Yes, this game breeds ideas - it's great, I just wish I had the time to let my creative juices flowing more :(

I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine that new content like the Pirates of the Carribean downloadable content may be more user-friendly (just actually tried a tiny bit, which seems to confirm it). Personally I found that eventually the game mostly wasn't that hard, but there are one or two wtf moments in it. But there are a lot of far easier or more straightforward levels online for sure.

Yes, I don't mean to say all LBP levels are hard. It's just that the basic mechanics can become very difficult if the level designers are not careful. Ironically, the more memorable levels are those hard ones that I managed to complete, plus the creative levels (like Quaz51's calculator, Jayden's LittleBigContra, MM's paint gun Metal Gear DLC, and more).

Little Big Minority Report anyone?

Yes, the LBP motion sensing extension should make editing easier and more fun. For some reason, I think of it as Harry Potter as opposed to Minority Report.

Yes, I don't mean to say all LBP levels are hard. It's just that the basic mechanics can become very difficult if the level designers are not careful.
I once tried building a 'web' of higgledepiggledy platforms connected entirely by ropes. Despite being positioned well within jumping distance, it was impossible to scale because jumping from a floating platform loses most of the force, and a Sackboy can only jump a fraction of their normal height. It's this 'inconsistency' in jump reponse that is so damned hard to work with! As a designer or gamer. You don't know how far/high your little character will jump when you press that jump button, or more often, most of the time jumping from rigid surfaces you know it's one large-block high, but the moment you're on a flexible platform or dropping edge, it could be any range at all, even next to no height.

This is the biggest fault of LBP IMO. Much as I wish they had kept to the original game design of creating in-game, the physics solution has created a lot of frustration and killed a lot of gameplay momentum for the wider audience and what has done most to limit sales and interest. If a choice between launching with a more traditional platform mechanic, certainly in the jumping, or launching with in-game creation, I think the former would be the better option.

Back