IGN Feature on the coming Zelda game for Wii

http://wii.ign.com/articles/920/920705p1.html

We envision smart, gameplay-changing integration of MotionPlus in a manner that would complement today's Z-target lock-on. Imagine if Link could freely maneuver through a non-linear world in typical Zelda fashion, but as soon as he locked onto an enemy, players would be able to control his sword-carrying hand with perfect precision using the Wii remote. Players could still jump, strafe and even dodge with the nunchuk, but they could also deliver accurate, fast slices and dices with the remote. With this kind of pinpoint control, Link might even be able to block incoming projectiles -- arrows, fireballs, etc. -- with his sword, but of course he wouldn't be reliant upon doing so, for holding down B-trigger would cue his shield. And when the lock-on is broken, normal controls would resume.

"I would love to see the combat camera moving behind Link's shoulder, with Wii MotionPlus giving us unprecedented control over his sword, shield, hammer, hookshot, bow and arrow, and so on. It shouldn't just be mindless waggling, though. I want the game to use accurate swordplay as a unique mechanism and tool the enemies' behavior and weak points around this," Schneider. "Let me swipe up to knock a helmet of a Bokoblin and expose his noggin. Let me stab forward to hit a gap in the back of the shell of an Amos Knight. Let me pull back with the remote to block or parry a blow from a powerful enemy."

Naturally, Wii MotionPlus controls wouldn't be limited to swordplay, as Schneider suggests. Nintendo could cleverly devise a series of new weapons that might make intuitive use of the control add-on. For instance, a spiked ball and chain that would allow players to accurately swing the Wii remote around to gain momentum, releasing the attack at precisely the right moment to inflict damage. Or, the ability to curve Link's boomerang using the same technique that works for frisbee in Wii Sports Resort. And what about finally being to hurl a bomb farther based on the power of motion, as measured by Nintendo's add-on? But one item above all else seems the perfect fit for MotionPlus and that is, of course, the Wind Waker, the magical baton that could literally conduct the wind in the hit GameCube title. Using MotionPlus, players could make subtle gestures that would be read and translated on-screen. Think of Wii Music's maestro mini-game taken to the next logical level, except as a legitimate hardcore gameplay mechanic.

Sounds great, but looking at how nintendo cares about their core (gamers) this generation I dont have very high hopes. SMG was way too easy (only that last world gave me the impression I atleast had to have some skill, and I'm not a great gamer by any means) and MarioKart wii is just pathetic and only fun if you suck uberass at games. I wonder how much they are gonna tone the new zelda down...

Nice article albeit not much is explained about the direction of the game other than uping the control precision. The Zelda series has a very cliched and repetitive formula, but it is difficult to tweek without losing what makes Zelda, Zelda. By far the most innovative mechanic in the series was the groundhog day element to Majora's Mask and I am guessing that they are going to use time as an important element again.

TP (toilet paper) was a robust example of the Zelda formula; it is simply more of what makes the series itself. Link has a wooden sword, finds a better weapon, goes to a dungeon with a superior weapon, slays boss, repeat. I'll admit that I won't complaint too much if this is done again, but there is definitely an infusion of some sort that must be made. I just don't know what.

Of course this is a pretty large article based on not IGN knowing much if anything (or not telling us if they do) about the game since Nintendo hasn't even released a teaser yet.

This article is just baseless speculation. I don't even know why people bother. They'll show us Zelda when they're good and ready. Besides, people either bitch about them making too many Zelda/Mario, then turn around and cry cause they haven't seen a trailer for a game rumored to be in development. I waited 7 years for Ocarina of Time, and I can wait another 7 if I must. Then again, the Wii does need its own Zelda developed specifically for the console. TP was just a port after all.

Back