PS3 Firmware 2.50

I think it should be faster because they can set several SPUs to decode multiple keyframes ahead of your search (instead of fastforwarding sequentially). Have you tried the PSP version ?

EDIT: Hurray ! ThreeSpeech confirmed Flash 9 in Firmware 2.50 -- http://threespeech.com/blog/2008/10/new-info-on-the-firmware-updates-for-ps3-and-psp/

Other new features delivered through PS3 2.50 will include:
• Video – Video scene search functionality will provide thumbnails to help you find a particular scene in a video more easily.
• Information Board – The Information Board will be able to include direct links to PlayStation Store, making it easier for PS3 owners to download content that they read about on the Information Board.
• Power save – PS3 owners will have the option to automatically shut-off their console or controllers after pre-selected periods of inactivity.
• Flash 9 content becomes supported on the Internet Browser.

I can't believe Sony went through the trouble. Still a little nervous. Let's hope Sony doesn't pull a "David Reeve".

In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.

About time. This is a godsend when considering the fact that external harddrives can only hold 4GB max and most hi definition movies need to be broken down if thats your method of storage.

There are some additional tidbits on the PSP firmware update on the threespeech page as well ... particularly for 2k owners this is interesting:

Additional enhancements delivered through PSP 5.00 will include:
• On-screen keyboard – A full-size, on-screen keyboard will be added to make text entry during Web browsing easier and more convenient.
• Sleep timer – During music playback, a sleep timer will enable users to shut off their PSP after a specified amount of time.
Video-out – The PSP-2000’s video-out feature will be able to display PlayStation format software (classics titles) at the full-screen size of the TV that the PSP is connected to; the feature will also support interlace displays.

If 2.50 is needed for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset then the update should be out in the next day or so with SOCOM coming out tomorrow. Tonight maybe?

If 2.50 is needed for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset then the update should be out in the next day or so with SOCOM coming out tomorrow. Tonight maybe?

Yeah, they're usually on Tuesday, but tomorrow seems likely this time.

If the Flash 9 support is comprehensive, other developers will be able to write applications for PS3. :)
What's missing now is RSS, which would allow us direct access to web applications/pages from XMB.

That would be bloody awesome! Making the PS3 a true multimedia beast step-by step.
Flash 9 is muy importante, but the machines still a far cry from fabulous. The browser is clunky and ugly, rendering rext lowres and upscaling to a blocky, blurry mess. It's all great advancement of the system though. Will be nice to watch GT trailers and the like.

I thought that too, but I recently upgraded my TV to a full HD one (from 720p) and the text is perfectly clear at all times.

Flash 9 is muy importante, but the machines still a far cry from fabulous. The browser is clunky and ugly, rendering rext lowres and upscaling to a blocky, blurry mess. It's all great advancement of the system though. Will be nice to watch GT trailers and the like.

Why is the browser ugly ? It looks fine on my screen.

I agree it's clunky mainly due to the annoying security dialog. Once 2.5 is out, I'd like to see if it has other browser fixes (e.g., more refined keyboard support ?).

I was viewing on a 40" 1080p native on the weekend, and zoomed it was a poor texture. At home on my 1680x1050 letterboxed monitor, it's just a blur. Presumably that's 720p upscaling, but why render at 720p when there's 1080p support? I'll try disabling 720p support in the monitor settings and see if it looks any better. But even with that fixed, the browser is far from great. Slow, lots of warnings, and general a poor performer next to every other browser out there. There's no priority to offer better though, and it's not an important aspect at the moment. Flash 9 on the other hand could be used in other applications, such as in the PSN Store or in Home.

Strange. I use a 720p monitor at work for my PS3. It's as clear as my PC and Mac output. 1080p should be even better since they use a different font and editing is in-place.

Speed is slower than PC browsers but still acceptable.

My gripes with the PS3 web browser are HTML standard compliance, clunky input and the stateless security dialog box. Look has been great for me so far. I use the PS3 browser from time to time (when my PC and Mac were busy).

[Typing this from PS3 just to double check the browser speed]

Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.
Huh. Who'd a thunk such newfangled features were even possible!

:p

Yeah the browser could do with some improvements, like being speeded up too, but I guess thats down to Netscape or whoever it is that developed it?

Still, you have to look at what the machine does already. Media streaming and Linux are an excellent bonus in the scheme of things, file support has been increased (albeit even more can be done in this area) and VC1 decoding is a godsend (for techies anyway).

I'd quite like it if Youtube videos could be moved straight across to XMB. Sony and Google are quite matey, so who knows...

I was viewing on a 40" 1080p native on the weekend, and zoomed it was a poor texture. At home on my 1680x1050 letterboxed monitor, it's just a blur. Presumably that's 720p upscaling, but why render at 720p when there's 1080p support?

Just a guess, but does the PS3 browser perhaps downsize images when a webpage is too big to fit in memory? In other words, as memory gets low, it goes back to already loaded images, scales them down, and discards the original.

It is more than Flash content. For the longest time, we could not view some video sites on the PS3 (e.g. The official PS blog). The player UI was written in Flash 9. You can now enjoy them on a PS3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/14/firmware-50-demo-playstation-store-on-psp/

On a related note, the PS3 firmware update (2.50) will add Flash Player 9 support to the PS3 Web browser, so you’ll be able to actually watch this video (and all of our blog videos) on your PS3 once the firmware goes live!

Back