ATI GPU transcoding app?

Isnt Nvidia's Cuda's C compiler the model baseline for openCL?

I haven't followed OpenCL closely, but my point was that Cuda and Stream are not applications in and of themselves, they aren't the transcoding routines themselves (there seemed to be some confusion about that).
They're just the technology that enables you to program transcoding routines (among other things).

I haven't followed OpenCL closely, but my point was that Cuda and Stream are not applications in and of themselves, they aren't the transcoding routines themselves (there seemed to be some confusion about that).
They're just the technology that enables you to program transcoding routines (among other things).
One of the differences here is that while we are happy for partners to go off and do what they please with the ATI Stream SDK, we also offer "AVT". AVT is effectively the descendant to "COBRA", which was referenced in older articles in this thread. AVT is our own Transcoding library, that is built within ATI Stream, that we make available to ISV's in order to to get an optimized (for AMD architectures) GPU accelerated transcoding routine; AVT is also the engine behind ATI AVIVO Video Encoder.

One of the differences here is that while we are happy for partners to go off and do what they please with the ATI Stream SDK, we also offer "AVT". AVT is effectively the descendant to "COBRA", which was referenced in older articles in this thread. AVT is our own Transcoding library, that is built within ATI Stream, that we make available to ISV's in order to to get an optimized (for AMD architectures) GPU accelerated transcoding routine; AVT is also the engine behind ATI AVIVO Video Encoder.

Yes, and nVidia offers PhysX in a similar vein.
Looks like both are trying to capture a different niche of the GPGPU market currently.

I think this is on topic, is there anything that makes low quality video look great (ie youtube)
nv purevideo was supposed to do it but ive never seen it work
plus nv charge for it

im sure ati claimed to do it through shaders
from amd's webpage (although maybe they means this appiles to dvd only)
"Enhanced DVD Upscaling - Watch standard DVD movies in near high-definition quality with DVD upscaling. The GPU uses post processing algorithms to enhance standard and low resolution videos and movies on your HD display."

this is from the 9800pro which i had and i could never get it to work (low quality video still looked like crap)

"Breakthrough video features
ATI's latest FullStream™ technology removes blocky artifacts from streaming Internet video and provides sharper image quality
Unique VideoShader™ engine uses programmable pixel shaders to accelerate video processing and provide better-looking visuals"

does ati still support fullstream can someone show a comparison ?
do nv have an equivelent technology

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberlink and TMPGEnc are offering video decoding on GPUs and some filters, which run on all CUDA enabled GPUs. And it looks like Cyberlink and ArcSoft will offer some filters@Radeons through ATi Stream Stuff, too. Question: For all Radeons (HD2000, HD3000, HD4000) or for HD4000 only (eg these filters are part of AVT)?

Davros:
My old 9100 could smooth some artifacts with DivX player 2.0, but this ability has been removed*. I've bought my 9800 in March 2004 and so I was disapointed, that there was no DivX acceleration and de-blocking on the 9800Pro.

*I'm not sure, when they did it.

From what I have read, both DX11 compute shaders and openCL are CUDA with syntactic differences.
Curious, where have you read that?

Cyberlink and TMPGEnc are offering video decoding on GPUs and some filters, which run on all CUDA enabled GPUs. And it looks like Cyberlink and ArcSoft will offer some filters@Radeons through ATi Stream Stuff, too. Question: For all Radeons (HD2000, HD3000, HD4000) or for HD4000 only (eg these filters are part of AVT)?
This is discussed in the Rage3D interview.

Arcsoft are doing some upscaling routines via Brook+, I don't know if they have any restrictions on support. Cyberlink are actually doing GPU accelerated Transcoding on our boards, and they announced this specifically in relation to HD 4800 Series; it is however using AVT so I suspect that HD 4600 will work as well.

Curious, where have you read that?

For opencl, from the slides that are posted here.

For D3D11CS, from one of the slides from the gamefest. Forgot the link though.

Is there something I am missing here? If yes, please tell me the right sources.

Can someone enlighten me why highly hyped ATI Stream stuff and encoder don't support H.264 (i assume iPod and PSP profiles don't fall under that) encoding and why it's using CPU 100% and almost no GPU (jumps to 10% here and there). Thats a CPU encoder, not GPU.
Not to mention WMV encoding usually ends up with totally corruped video full of blocks and smeared colors...

Can someone enlighten me why highly hyped ATI Stream stuff and encoder don't support H.264 (i assume iPod and PSP profiles don't fall under that) encoding and why it's using CPU 100% and almost no GPU (jumps to 10% here and there). Thats a CPU encoder, not GPU.
Not to mention WMV encoding usually ends up with totally corruped video full of blocks and smeared colors...

GPU transcoding is only available in Vista 32, for the time being. But you weren't all that interested in info per se, were you?

Well if they are ALL so freakin secret about 64bit compatibility...
Can't they just write 3 words like "only for Vista x86?" It really takes so much resources...

Can't they just write 3 words like "only for Vista x86?" It really takes so much resources...

It's rather ironic though, considering that ATi is now part of AMD, the company that introduced the 64-bit mode on x86 in the first place.
It's bad enough that so many companies don't support 64-bit yet (like how you can't really use the 64-bit version of IE7, because you can't get plugins like Flash or Java for it... and especially Flash is everywhere these days).

GPU transcoding is only available in Vista 32, for the time being. But you weren't all that interested in info per se, were you?

It is? Well, regardless of that, it's still quite fast on x64 platform on transcoding even if it uses just CPU, 9 seconds to convert music video in XVID format to Windows Media

It's in the release notes.

As for its speed, the transcoder was always fast, even when in CPU only form. Its issues lie elsewhere (user interface, pickyness etc.)

Back