New Xbox Experience coming Nov 19th

Well it is inevitable HDD sizes released will get bigger over time - You have to look forward all the time.

I am still wondering whether they will give permanent ban to those that got the leaked version though, hope not.

I'm guessing they are making way for a new set of HD sizes. I would definately go for a 250 or 300 GB HD in order to be able to install all my games.

Cheers

Indeed! I've got about 8.0GB left on my system right now, but I want an HDD upgrade to be fairly definitive with respect to installing most of my games with room to spare for DLC. Right now, I'm sitting at about 15 games, but with sequels and other new games that may crop up... 120GB is looking not so big.

The funny thing about larger and larger HDD sizes is I think very few people are even using them.

You're just ending up with more and more GB's of space 90% of people will never use in this HDD arms race.

It is really a shame about the disc must in drive thing too. Would be nice to just install all your games (if you had big enough HDD) and choose them from a list..

The funny thing about larger and larger HDD sizes is I think very few people are even using them.

You're just ending up with more and more GB's of space 90% of people will never use in this HDD arms race.

It is really a shame about the disc must in drive thing too. Would be nice to just install all your games (if you had big enough HDD) and choose them from a list..

Understandable from a security perspective I guess. Perhaps a reasonable half-way-house would have been for the disk to be checked every n time the game is activated. Ask for the disk to be inserted one-in-five times it's run for example.

Perhaps they should "simply" move to an activation key along the lines of Windows and those DLC activation codes that RB2 used for the 20 free songs or Gears 2 used for the 5 free maps; just restrict the code to single use for one XBL account. If you don't have the activation code for whatever reason, then you'll need the disc.

Perhaps they should "simply" move to an activation key along the lines of Windows and those DLC activation codes that RB2 used for the 20 free songs or Gears 2 used for the 5 free maps; just restrict the code to single use for one XBL account. If you don't have the activation code for whatever reason, then you'll need the disc.

YES. PLEASE.

Does anyone have any idea if the new NXE takes up more RAM than the previous OS? I know it takes some hard drive space.

NXE is user interface not a new OS. So, its size can be as large as possible as long as it fits to the 512 ram.

Regarding the OS, I am not sure what kind of updates they make. But, given that any size increase may break games, I doubt its size increase at all!

The third and final wave of emails will be going out tonight to get into the NXE preview. Over 10K more people will be added this time. At this point why not just add everyone who applied since it's less than a week from release anyways.

Looks like I missed out again. Oh well. Less than a week left now. Can't believe they're giving out over 10,000 previews and that's still not enough to cover everybody that initially applied for it. The window to apply for it was about 17 hours.

Tommy McClain

YES. PLEASE.

Agreed, but after some thinking. How would they handle letting you take your disc and using it on a different system? And what about using a different Gamertag? They would need to have some kind of easy mechanism to transfer your authorization back to the disc so you could use it elsewhere. Seems like it could make for a very complicated system and one that could nullify 2nd hand sales. Hopefully Wii Speak isn't such a success that Microsoft uses it as a blueprint for their plans. This might be one of those times of "be careful what you wish for, you might just get it."

Tommy McClain

If it makes you feel better I have bought a gazillion 360s, a bazillion dollars in software and media and I did not get in either. :smile:

Thanks man! I could always count on you to make me feel better! LOL

Tommy McClain

Does anyone have any idea if the new NXE takes up more RAM than the previous OS? I know it takes some hard drive space.

The 360 has 16mb of flash memory for the OS. My understanding is the NXE still fits, it's just the extras like avatars are installed to the hdd. So you can still run it without a hdd/memory card attached.
The very original blade OS was 3mb, which is simply amazing considering everything it has (for example, all the localization, MCE, etc). The current dash is apparently ~7mb.

The best part in all this, is that microsoft are slowly edging toward full downloadable games. First arcade got bigger, then xbox originals, now hard drive installs. I wonder if this is 'testing the waters' one step at a time. Yes, sony are already doing this - although with a fairly limited number of titles. At least so far it has shown to not impact retail game sales that significantly.

I got in! Woo woo woo ! This has made my reasonably crappy Friday afternoon (well, that plus the endless entertainment of a NeoGAF NPD thread!)

Hmm I got in as well, can't help but wonder if they just gave it to everyone who applied as my lucks not good in these things :) Good timing for Banjo arriving today

Back