DLC: The Next Generation Third Party Exclusives ? (TR:U, Mirror's Edge, GTAIV etc)

Blade47167

Newcomer
360 gets exclusive DLC. Lots of it, apprantly!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337802

"EIDOS AND XBOX ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE DOWNLOADABLE CHAPTERS FOR TOMB RAIDER: UNDERWORLD

Monday 6th October/... Eidos Interactive, creator of some of the world’s leading video game properties, today announces an agreement with Microsoft to release two brand new downloadable chapters in the continuing Tomb Raider adventures of Lara Croft. Containing up to six hours of new gameplay and content for Tomb Raider: Underworld™, the chapters will be available exclusively on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®. A demo for Tomb Raider: Underworld will also be available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace in October.

Offering entirely new content specifically designed to extend the Tomb Raider: Underworld experience, Tomb Raider: Underworld – Beneath the Ashes and Tomb Raider: Underworld – Lara’s Shadow will deliver two very different single player gameplay experiences. Tomb Raider: Underworld – Beneath the Ashes takes place after the Underworld story has finished and will feature an incredible new environment to explore, additional secrets to unlock and different enemies to fight. Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara’s Shadow will introduce players to a new kind of playable character and create a unique Tomb Raider experience."

Welp there goes a sale for them. Considering I don't have a 360 I would have been buying this for the PS3. Not now tho its went from a day 1 purchase for me to a gamefly rental.

Hmm bit sad about this, i wanted to buy this game for the PS3 but this indicates that the original PS3 and 360 versions got nerfed?
That's a bogus statement. Between RTM and game available on shelves there's a huge gap which can be easily filled with... well... work. If it takes 2 weeks to cert and 4 weeks to manufacture/deliver, content coming out 1mo after game's release was in development for 2.5-3 months. And that's not "nerf time", it's the reality of cert/manufacturing. With TRU being mostly content driven this is a pretty good idea to release more stuff.

That's a bogus statement. Between RTM and game available on shelves there's a huge gap which can be easily filled with... well... work. If it takes 2 weeks to cert and 4 weeks to manufacture/deliver, content coming out 1mo after game's release was in development for 2.5-3 months. And that's not "nerf time", it's the reality of cert/manufacturing. With TRU being mostly content driven this is a pretty good idea to release more stuff.

I'm pissed because they are screwing over PS3 owners.

I'm pissed because they are screwing over PS3 owners.
If Sony can't make people develop DLC for PS3, how is CD at fault? In other words: do you really think that respectable developer ditches PS3 for some fanboy reasons? It's business and it's free market, you know? It's up to Sony to secure games and DLC. Another thing is: I don't see any note in this press release that there will be no DLC for PS3. I can see that two pieces of DLC will be 360 exclusive, that's all. Calm down, stop pissing on people because your console of choice doesn't get DLC. Mirror's Edge gets exclusive PS3 content and I'm buing PS3 SKU despite the horrible controller.:rolleyes:

How many PS3 owners had a poor experience with GTA4 knowing that DLC would be coming to the 360 only?

I imagine many of them were pissed, then eventually got over it since that DLC is coming at a distant point in time, months upon months after the game shipped. The Tomb Raider situation is substantial content (i.e. 2-3 more hours of gameplay) coming a mere month or so after the ship date--that suggests Eidos wasnt willing to delay the game a few weeks and put more content in the game. Instead, they prefer to go exclusive with DLC, likely so that they can get MS marketing weight behind them and fight EA and Ubisoft marketing far more effectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine many of them were pissed, then eventually got over it since that DLC is coming at a distant point in time, months upon months after the game shipped. The Tomb Raider situation is substantial content (i.e. 2-3 more hours of gameplay) coming a mere month or so after the ship date--that suggests Eidos wasnt willing to delay the game a few weeks and put more content in the game. Instead, they prefer to go exclusive with DLC, likely so that they can get MS marketing weight behind them and fight EA and Ubisoft marketing far more effectively.

Couldn't really care myself, add DLC is all well and good if the games worth continuing with. Nothing in GTA4 held my attention long enough to make me worry about it. MGS4 would eb far more appealing with extra DLC.

How many PS3 owners had a poor experience with GTA4 knowing that DLC would be coming to the 360 only?
How many even finished the game in the first place?

If Sony can't make people develop DLC for PS3, how is CD at fault?
How can Sony "make people develop DLC for PS3"? Would that require piling on cash 'til the developer says "uncle"?

In other words: do you really think that respectable developer ditches PS3 for some fanboy reasons? It's business and it's free market, you know?
What is your definition of a "respectable developer"? Is it a developer that short changes a product on a platform due to better skills being required? Would it be "fanboy reasons" to also want one console to succeed over the other due to the reason mentioned above? These are just questions I'm posing. Each person reading this can come up with their own answers.

I can see that two pieces of DLC will be 360 exclusive, that's all. Calm down, stop pissing on people because your console of choice doesn't get DLC. Mirror's Edge gets exclusive PS3 content and I'm buing PS3 SKU despite the horrible controller.:rolleyes:
I believe you are correct. It seems like it's only 2 pieces of content totaling to a possible 6 additional hours for an undetermined amount of money.

I must disagree with your opinion that the PS3 controller is horrible. I mean it's basically been unchanged externally since the PS1. I haven't heard many complaints over it in the past 14 years.

How can Sony "make people develop DLC for PS3"? Would that require piling on cash 'til the developer says "uncle"?
There are multiple possible factors, from easy DLC cert to publishing DLC coupled with promotion to showering people with money. (money is as good guess as any other) CD guys do what's best for them and anyone who did any sort of work in their lifetime should understand that. It's up to platform owner to secure stuff. And I find it hard to blame DLC situation today on publishers/developers.

What is your definition of a "respectable developer"? Is it a developer that short changes a product on a platform due to better skills being required? Would it be "fanboy reasons" to also want one console to succeed over the other due to the reason mentioned above? These are just questions I'm posing. Each person reading this can come up with their own answers.
I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this. Crystal Dynamics are IMO respectable developer, regardless of platform. Exclusive DLC will be available not "just because" but for some reasons that make sense for them as a business. I don't think it has anything to do with skills. Actually I think that such rhetorical question is disrespectful. I don't think TRU DLC alone matters and helps anyone succeed. But the fact that with a very few exceptions (Mirror's Edge) it is 360 that gets extra DLC makes me more inclined to attribute this situation to Sony/MS and not CD's of this world.

I must disagree with your opinion that the PS3 controller is horrible. I mean it's basically been unchanged externally since the PS1. I haven't heard many complaints over it in the past 14 years.
It's too small, to light and too fragile for me. It's up to ones taste, really. My point was: although I'm leaning towards 360, I have no problems accepting the fact that ME got extra DLC on PS3. I care about the game enough to play PS3 SKU for the extra content, despite the controller (one of two major reasons I don't play PS3 that much.) I'll skip the complaints part - it's fallacy that doesn't belong to this thread.

I have a XBOX360 controller for my PC use and the Dualshock 3 for my PS3. I look like a spaz using either. :LOL:.
The XBOX360 does feel better in my hands then the Dual.

I'll wait until it's released on the PC.

The DLCs might just be the platform owners' strategies.

Microsoft wants exclusive content for people who pay for the XBL network (Otherwise, Sony's free online gaming may erode their subscriptions).

As David Reeve mentioned, Sony wants unique and different games to grow their customer profiles. Hence they may be willing to pay for exclusive content for Mirror's Edge.

The devs just do whatever make most sense to them. They can negotiate with the platform owners for cross-platform DLC (timed exclusive or otherwise), or they may just take the money and go (if money is involved).

I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this. Crystal Dynamics are IMO respectable developer, regardless of platform. Exclusive DLC will be available not "just because" but for some reasons that make sense for them as a business. I don't think it has anything to do with skills. Actually I think that such rhetorical question is disrespectful. I don't think TRU DLC alone matters and helps anyone succeed. But the fact that with a very few exceptions (Mirror's Edge) it is 360 that gets extra DLC makes me more inclined to attribute this situation to Sony/MS and not CD's of this world.

I simply asked what your definition of a "respectable developer" is. You haven't asked that question, yet. BTW, why would you believe the questions I asked are rhetorical? I did say each individual would need to come with their own answers, did I not (THAT was a rhetorical question)?

BTW, why would you believe the questions I asked are rhetorical?
Because that's how they looked to me?

I did say each individual would need to come with their own answers, did I not (THAT was a rhetorical question)?
Which doesn't indicate they were not rhetorical.

Respectable developer is someone who develops well received games and gained respect of both gamers as well as publishers and other developers. IMO most of the CD games (from Pandemonium to Legacy of Kain to TR games developed recently) were great. They got very good reviews and judging by some comments in this topic, people would love to see some of the old franchises to reemerge (Legacy of Kain was mentioned several times). Another thing is that by moving TR development from Core, Eidos acknowledged that CD have great reputation and would do no harm to the IP. I strongly believe that studio with good reputation is very unlikely to make hasty decisions. Does that answer your question?

This generation, we've very much seen the death of third party exclusives at retail. The majority of developers and publishers not under contract by the console manufacturers themselves (i.e. Microsoft/Sony as publishers) face high costs from "high def" asset and content creation that are more difficult to recoup by remaining exclusive. With the strength of the 360 & PS3 global sales, it would be folly to ignore either one entirely.

In this past year, the notion of DLC exclusivity appears prevalent, starting with GTA4 and followed by Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, and now Tomb Raider Underworld. While not as draconian as full platform exclusivity, for every action there is an overreaction on the internets, with people spewing dramatic comments of "lost sales". Did news of 360 DLC exclusivity for GTA4 prevent PS3 sales? Will it affect Fallout 3?

The reality of my money is not to buy this game because i think it´s bullshit. Lets just pretend they didn´t plan and develop the DLC along with the "original" game. Then i might have bought into the idea. It´s a nice bonus for 360 owners but it´s also a nice way of pushing up the price for a game.

At first i was worried that i might miss something, then i gave it some thought and concluded that i was likely not to have finished the orginal game anyway. And no, i did not finish the game yet and i really don´t care about more GTA4, i get plenty from the original game :)

This generation, we've very much seen the death of third party exclusives at retail. The majority of developers and publishers not under contract by the console manufacturers themselves (i.e. Microsoft/Sony as publishers) face high costs from "high def" asset and content creation that are more difficult to recoup by remaining exclusive. With the strength of the 360 & PS3 global sales, it would be folly to ignore either one entirely.

In this past year, the notion of DLC exclusivity appears prevalent, starting with GTA4 and followed by Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, and now Tomb Raider Underworld. While not as draconian as full platform exclusivity, for every action there is an overreaction on the internets, with people spewing dramatic comments of "lost sales". Did news of 360 DLC exclusivity for GTA4 prevent PS3 sales? Will it affect Fallout 3?

GTA has been out for what 5 months now and we still don't know when they will get their DLC. Thats very different from Underworld's DLC that will come out a month after the game or so. GTA is also a sandbox game which is massive. Tomb Raider is a linear game that will more than likely run 12~14 hours in length at most. Maybe less. 6 hours of content is major especially if it actually evolves the story. GTA's content will just be side quests or another story line. Its complety different...

No, all they need to do is sell more PS3s.

Oh, and I don't remember Xbox1 owners complaining about all the exclusvie PS2 content they haven't had a chance to play. You guys need to get your mind straight, really...

All of my friends that have tried a X360 controller and a PS3 controller pretty much agree that X360 feels better in the hands, some like the PS3 controller for Fifa games more than X360. I have heard a lot of complaints, even my GF complained about the controls after i moved the X360 out of the livingroom and put the PS3 there, and she owned a PS2 before.

This is of course very subjective area and there is no right and wrong.

That being said i do think Sony should have put a little more time to make the controller feel more ergonomical, maybe switch the locations of the analogs. It feels small and uncomfortable compared to a X360 gamepad for me.

I'm not sure I care. So Xb360 gets DLC. So what? The meat of the game is in the game itself, not in the DLC. I'd be highly surprised if the DLC would be that substantial to make it a worthwhile purchase over the PS3 version. A nice feature for those that want it, but I can't see me buying it in anyway. Too many good games to play at the moment. I'd be happy if I'd just complete the game. ;)

Back