Porsche calls Nissan cheaters!

Why, everyone knows that in everything but a top speed run the GTR will kick the 911 turbos ass.

Why not give it a challenge and stick it up against a Enzo.

Why, everyone knows that in everything but a top speed run the GTR will kick the 911 turbos ass.

Porsche 997 Turbo
480 hp
1440 kg

0-60 3.4 sec

Nissan GTR
480 hp
1730kg
0-60 3.5 sec

I dont see any reason for why a 997 Turbo cannot keep up with a 200kg heavier GT-R.

I dont see any reason for why a 997 Turbo cannot keep up with a 200kg heavier GT-R.

Well there have been reports from many places that says the GT-R is faster. I've seen atleast few of thoses. I saw a Fifth Gear episode where Bruno Senna drove them on a wet track and he drove a faster laptime on the GT-R and said the car has better balance than the 911.

Porsche 997 Turbo
480 hp
1440 kg

0-60 3.4 sec

Nissan GTR
480 hp
1730kg
0-60 3.5 sec

Yes, there appears to be no reason why it cannot keep up, but one things for sure is it cannot until the GT-R starts running out of legs.
Enzo would demolish it on most tracks, it's a simple hp/weight thing...
All right then, stick it against a Carerra GT then, they are about equal on Top Gears power lap board.

Ostepop: aerodynamics and handling play a big role when driving fast. Sometimes it has more influence than the weight difference.

Porsche 997 Turbo
480 hp
1440 kg

0-60 3.4 sec

Nissan GTR
480 hp
1730kg
0-60 3.5 sec

If straight line speed was all it took, you'd see drag cars winning around race tracks.

Handling, braking etc, play a big part in how fast you can get a car around corners. It's possible the GTR can use more of it's power in corners, keeping a higher average speed around the track, or is able to brake and accelerate harder in order to spend less time relatively slowly in corners. On a long twisty track like Nurburgring, just being a little faster in corners (and the corresponding faster speeds onto the following straights) will all add up.

Short of seeing telemetry data of the two cars, it's not possible to say why one car with superficially better specs is beaten by a car that "should" be slower. With telemetry data, we'd be able to compare the two and see where the GTR is faster. I'd bet it shows that the GTR is consistently faster in particular circumstances (eg higher cornering speed) than the Porche.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the electronic gadgetry on the GTR it's easy to see why the "ancient" 997 with it's comparatively straight-forward approach would be slower, especially around corners and during breaking, as has been mentioned.

Besides, that "480HP" figure for the GTR is misleading. Much like the BMW 335i and it's "300HP" :LOL:

Ostepop: aerodynamics and handling play a big role when driving fast. Sometimes it has more influence than the weight difference.

Since you are here, what does it mean when Mercedes displays says "Brake wear visit workshop" or something.

Is it just that brake pedals should be changed soon or is it something more urgent?

The only car manual i could find was in german, other wise i wouldn't have bothered you.

Since you are here, what does it mean when Mercedes displays says "Brake wear visit workshop" or something.

Is it just that brake pedals should be changed soon or is it something more urgent?

The only car manual i could find was in german, other wise i wouldn't have bothered you.

If your pedals need replacement I think you've got BIG problems! :LOL:

I'm sure you meant pads, I just couldn't help myself. :p

It should be the brake pads and maybe also discs, surely not pedals :) It should be done soon, but there is still some air left if it just came up.

Porsche 997 Turbo
480 hp
1440 kg

0-60 3.4 sec

Nissan GTR
480 hp
1730kg
0-60 3.5 sec

Those numbers don't tell the whole story. I've read a few articles that confirm Nissan's claim of less HP loss from the crank to the wheels. They claim a 10% loss versus the more normal average of around 15%. It's not a huge difference, but it does make the basic written HP comparison not work.

Actually, I have a vague memory that one car magazine suggested that the 480HP IS the rwhp number, after the deduction...thus providing evidence to the guy earlier who said some had over 500HP. About 534HP with a 10% reduction would be 480ish at the wheel.

Those numbers don't tell the whole story. I've read a few articles that confirm Nissan's claim of less HP loss from the crank to the wheels. They claim a 10% loss versus the more normal average of around 15%. It's not a huge difference, but it does make the basic written HP comparison not work.

Actually, I have a vague memory that one car magazine suggested that the 480HP IS the rwhp number, after the deduction...thus providing evidence to the guy earlier who said some had over 500HP. About 534HP with a 10% reduction would be 480ish at the wheel.
They dont put 480 to the wheels, besides maybe a few lucky ones.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0803_2009_nissan_gt_r_dyno_test/results_analysis.html

It makes a bit more than rated but no where near 480 to the wheels :LOL:

They dont put 480 to the wheels, besides maybe a few lucky ones.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0803_2009_nissan_gt_r_dyno_test/results_analysis.html

It makes a bit more than rated but no where near 480 to the wheels :LOL:

Great article, thanks...and updated by over half a year from the ones I read.

According to the article the cars HP rating in magazines/brochures should be 507+HP or higher in order to achieve the 430 wheel HP that they got.

So either the claim of 480@10% is correct, or the car puts out between 507(15%)-574HP(25%) at the crank...all brochure numbers.

What I found particulary interesting was the articles mention of a possible 25% loss due to the routing of the AWD. The Porsche is also AWD, so does it too possibly suffer a 25% loss? If it does then we found the HP discrepancy. 480@25%=360 vs the 430 the GT-R got in the article.

We now have a 70HP advantage to make up for it's extra weight. The GT-R is aprox 20% heavier, with 20% more HP. Power to weight is actually equal if all of the above is true.

I don't see what's so suprising about the GT-R's laptime.

It's huge car with huge wheels. You could probably call it a Porsche Turbo in a larger disguise on all fronts. Larger body, larger wheels, heavier. And the semi-slicks it uses are among the very best on the market (and most expensive too).

Back