did anybody here preorder a pandora today?

Well the SGX531 might be the (gimme more bandwidth pweeease) core I've been expecting to get announced. Here's to SONY to open up its ears and eyes and go shopping asap :p

Note also from this announcement from IMG:-

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=400

That there is no mention of 545,555 or indeed 510. 545 & 555 were "announced" in Jan '07, yet strangely this press release says all announced members of the family have been licenced, but when listing the various IP cores in the family, these three have disappeared ?

Not very consistent to say the least.

yeah...but...like...they were announced but not licensed, yet the PR says all announced cores have been licenced. They forget to add "except for the ones that aren't"

yeah...but...like...they were announced but not licensed, yet the PR says all announced cores have been licenced. They forget to add "except for the ones that aren't"

The last roadmap I had seen didn't even have the 510 in it. The 555 was to be completed in that roadmap I think in H2 this year. I haven't followed quite frankly all the SGX announcements and you might very well be correct on that one. In any case if your "customers" don't show any interest in A or B, it doesn't surprise me that you re-adjust your roadmap and add core varieties that make more sense for market X or Y.

The interesting part of that newsblurb is that they're aiming for higher resolutions (probably for bigger than so far devices) and thus probably the need for more bandwidth.

In any case if your "customers" don't show any interest in A or B, it doesn't surprise me that you re-adjust your roadmap and add core varieties that make more sense for market X or Y.

Agree entirely, if there is no market for a core then its automatic not to develop it further, my only bone of contention is that they are stating that 100% of their announced cores have been licenced, which is patently not the case

Agree entirely, if there is no market for a core then its automatic not to develop it further, my only bone of contention is that they are stating that 100% of their announced cores have been licenced, which is patently not the case

Compare http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=325 with http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=357

The second roadmap prediction lacks any mention of 510 and 555. I guessed since then that one of the two or both might get dumped.

The interesting part of that newsblurb is that they're aiming for higher resolutions (probably for bigger than so far devices) and thus probably the need for more bandwidth.
It's not necessarily for bigger devices, but perhaps for devices that can be connected to HD screens such as what nVidia demonstrated for Tegra.

It's not necessarily for bigger devices, but perhaps for devices that can be connected to HD screens such as what nVidia demonstrated for Tegra.

Higher resolutions require more fillrate and in extension more bandwidth. In order to gain more fillrate one way is too pump up frequency or add more units; either way SGX53x is already too big if a vendor needs an SoC for say a mobile phone. This thread is about Pandora (which is a handheld console) and it does include SGX530.

By the way how certain are you exactly that APX2500 has been designed for mobile/PDA devices only and not also for a handheld console?

Ailuros don't understand your point both OMAP 3430 (handset SoC) and 3530 feature SGX530.

My bad I should have phrased it a bit better; SGX53x is mostly for high end mobile phones. I should have said mainstream mobile phones, as the majority won't necessarily shell out 600-700 Euros for a phone. They're still working on lower end variants like 520 and I'm quite confident that there will be also lower end OMAP variants as other licencees' SoCs.

oh! i see there were more replies
wonder why my email notifications stopped? or, perhaps they didn't even start because i forgot to tick something - duh

anyway, i will get a pandora, as a more portable alternative to something like an eee and as a more powerful web-capable computer (with a decent sized screen) than a fancy phone
for entertainment there is plenty for me in emulated systems and fantastic games from what i consider to be the great games era
it will also will be fantastic to see existing accelerated stuff get ported and new accelerated stuff made specifically for the machine

i'm really excited by a homebrew handheld that i could browse the web comfortably whilst out and about, play stuff like laser squad, beamrider or a dc game in my hand and even choose to amuse myself by returning to the proving grounds of my youth and trying to again code an old z80 based 8bit machine through similar emulation. i don't really need much else, except if i could attach it to a rack mount and use it to coordinate some simple recording and/or sequencing ;)

Back