Gran Turismo 5 in production?

eezing

Newcomer
It seems to be difficult finding anything solid regarding the GT5 production status. Running a web search mostly turns up results for GT5 Prologue. Is this game in production? When will it be released? Why is it taking so long?

GT5-> GT5P is essentially the same project.

GT5 is planned for 2009 and have been worked on for several years. GT5P was released as a showcase title and was essentially just an early build of GT5 with a couple cars and tracks.

PD has said that they will continue to update GT5P along with GT5 development (so you get newer engine builds, or patches if you will). PD did say at one time that we where going to see a Fall update to GT5P which will include car damage. But then again PD is notorius for taking a long time, but then again, thats probably why their games come out so complete.

Is this game in production? When will it be released? Why is it taking so long?

- it has been for a very long time.

- Kazunori Yamaguchi said a 2009 release is possible but not guaranteed.

- Polyphony Digital (PD) are very particular with their attention to detail and they will take their time. and since the GT franchise sold over 50 million units worldwide, PD probably dictates the release schedule.

Upcoming October update for GT5P online: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12996567&postcount=8479

This is just the precaution list prior to the actual update.

A free online update of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be performed beginning in the first part of October.

There are some cautions for when performing the update. Please make sure to read this before its installation.

■ Maintenance
On the day of the update, the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue online service will undergo maintenance. Please note that it will not be possible to connect to the online services during the maintenance.

■ Cautions when Downloading
If an error occurs during the download of update data, please retry the download. Data that had been downloaded up to that point is saved, and the download can be resumed. It is possible to resume downloading by:
Selecting News in My Page
or
Exiting the game with the PS button and restarting the game.

■ Reset due o update
The following content will be reset when the update is applied.
-Ranking
-Arcade time trial and drift trial in the My record
-Key assignment set in "Option"
-Quick tune settings saved for individual cars

■ Online event updated
With the update, the current online events will be updated.

■ Replay data compatibility
Replay data created before the Spec II update will not be possible to view after this update.
Before this update, please check the version information displayed on the lower left within the manual. If it is "Ver. 2.XX.X" or later, replay data will still be viewable after the update.

■ Required HDD space for the update
The amount of required HDD space for the update will depend on your current update status. If updating from the previous version, you will need approx. 116MB. If you are updating for the first time , approximately 380MB will be required.

※ To update, you will be required to have a Playstation 3 connected to the internet through a broadband network, and a downloaded or a Blu-ray version of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

※ The content described here are current as of the time of its announcement, but is subject to change.

Looking at how they evolve and handle their updates, PD is trying to perfect its online operations as we speak.

I feel like PD kinda blew it on the release date. Same thing happened with GT4, where the wheel came out like a year before the game. I think this whole Prologue business is a bunch of crap. PD knows that any faithful GT fan will purchase the Prologue along with the full game. I just don't get it. Anyway, I hope GT 5 has significant improvements over Prologue (such as damage). Actually, GT5 better have damage, as the multilayer could never be successful without it. I'm getting tired of garbage drivers riding the rails around the turns.

PD sucks in terms of making release dates. That's why Sony made them do a GT5 Prologue in the first place I reckon. I was very happy to see them do that. However, I do think it's time for a meaty update, as my interest is definitely waning.

Will be interesting to see if they come with something before the Holiday season, or if we'll have to wait till late March. I'm hoping for more tracks and being able to set up games yourself. I don't care for damage, but would definitely like longer races, tire wear and fuel consumption.

I feel like PD kinda blew it on the release date. Same thing happened with GT4, where the wheel came out like a year before the game. I think this whole Prologue business is a bunch of crap. PD knows that any faithful GT fan will purchase the Prologue along with the full game.
That's not true. GT3 sold 15 million. GT4P sold 1.4 million. GT4 proper sold 9.5 million. GT5P was a stop-gap title, for those keen to play GT quality without waiting the long time for all the content ot be made. For them to play the game a little earlier was worth a few bucks. For everyone else who is patient, they can save money waiting for the game proper.

The creation of GT5P didn't take anything away from GT5's development, and the non-existence of GT5P wouldn't had speed GT5 propers' release forward by any notable length of time. You're not having to wait any longer, so why begrudge those who are happy to pay a little extra to play now?

That's not true. GT3 sold 15 million. GT4P sold 1.4 million. GT4 proper sold 9.5 million. GT5P was a stop-gap title, for those keen to play GT quality without waiting the long time for all the content ot be made. For them to play the game a little earlier was worth a few bucks. For everyone else who is patient, they can save money waiting for the game proper.

The creation of GT5P didn't take anything away from GT5's development, and the non-existence of GT5P wouldn't had speed GT5 propers' release forward by any notable length of time. You're not having to wait any longer, so why begrudge those who are happy to pay a little extra to play now?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant, anyone who purchases GT5P will most likely purchase the full version. I bought GT5P, and will also buy the full game too. And, $40 is a little more than a few bucks.

But it was money you were willing to spend. ;) Which would you prefer - no GT5P and waiting until 2009 to play a next-gen GT, or spending $40 now for GT5P to play while you wait for GT5 in 2009?

GT5 is a title that Sony needs by next year. It's a AAA juggernaunt seller where all past games have done a good job moving it's hardware. If the PS3 is sticking with a 400 price next year they need to bundle that with GT5 to keep demand going. No other game will move PS3 like GT5 would.

GT5 is a title that Sony needs by next year. It's a AAA juggernaunt seller where all past games have done a good job moving it's hardware. If the PS3 is sticking with a 400 price next year they need to bundle that with GT5 to keep demand going. No other game will move PS3 like GT5 would.

FF13 and GTA4 would have...

FF sold 9 million in the beginnings, but recent versions have sold 5 million. GT (excluding prologues) has sold 9 million bottoms, 14 million tops. I think the photorealistic visuals of GT5 in gaming stores will attract a lot of hardware buyers as neither other game could.

FF sold 9 million in the beginnings, but recent versions have sold 5 million. GT (excluding prologues) has sold 9 million bottoms, 14 million tops. I think the photorealistic visuals of GT5 in gaming stores will attract a lot of hardware buyers as neither other game could.
I've a miwed feeling about this.
If the system price has not gone down significantly I think that Sony demo strategy may hurt them.
Not in regard to the game sales but to the number of systems pushed out by it.
I mean GT prologue Hd has been widely advertised gamers interested in the game have likely already bought the system.

It will have gone down by the time GT5 comes out. Rest assured. In 2012, you will be able to get a PS3 for £150. ;)

Seriously though, next year, if not this year still (and yes I know they denied it again and again), a price drop for the PS3 is imminent. I'm guessing they will slash price by £50 to even £100. Replace £ with $ as you please.

When you look at the big picture, the PS3 has done a significant job at selling equally as many units or slightly more this year compared to a console that is retailing at what, £140 these days?

Back