The Conduit screens (new)

It looks ok. I see low poly models and low res textures. Looks good for Wii.

Framerate looks superb and that's probably the most impressive aspect of the visuals actually.

It wasn't an issue for me at E3, but at home, on a bigger screen, and with the turning speed turned up, the framerate's just not high enough. 30fps has never been a problem for me on console FPS because you couldn't move fast enough for things to looks choppy or blurry, but in The Conduit, you have the ability to turn as quickly as you can on a PC, and the redraw rate just can't keep up.

It's failed to make the top 20 in the UK charts. Eurogamer rated it 5/10, claiming a good game with a good engine on Wii, but derivative.

So is there a market for FPSes/'serious games' on Wii, or are many interested in this side of gaming getting their FPS fix from the HD consoles, where a generic alternative on Wii lacks appeal regardless of a good control scheme?

It could easily be argued that anyone that is really INTO FPS type games only has a Wii as a secondary gaming machine.

Add to that, the majority of Wii owners aren't exactly your traditional PC or hybrid PC/Console gamer.

Regards,
SB

Considering how completely dead this thread is, I think one can see how exciting Wii is for most console shooter folks.

Considering how completely dead this thread is, I think one can see how exciting Wii is for most console shooter folks.

Its dead for two reasons, firstly the game ended up being very average, and second this is Beyond3D ;) I'm sure if the game ended up living up to the hype this thread would be lively, well as lively as its possible for a Wii game thread to get on this forum.

Same thing goes for sales, the game actually needs to be decent to sell you know? This game got absolutely slated by a lot of sites and magazines. Why should we expect it to sell well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, B3D ignores a whole bunch of other well-liked games. It's not like the Red Faction Guerilla thread is booming.

Tiger Woods 10 was the fourth best selling game this month, second best selling Wii game, it doesn't even have a thread :)

Just came in to check the comments. This is the only Wii game I can remember that I've seen multiple adds for except for Wiifit, or super smash brothers. The commercials start off interesting enough to hold my attention, then it shows the game (I think it was street scene with cars that really got me) and I'm like WTF? And then they say 'Only on Wii' and I'm like..

"Oh, that explains it." It seemed okay storywise from what they said in the commercial and it was certainly marketed.

Are people giving it bad reviews because its a flawed game, controls don't work, poor camera, etc.. Or is it getting hammered because it's being compared to what people expect from FPS and people expect PS3/360 graphics and if you don't have those you'd better do something else amazing?

It just seems every time there's a question about the demographics or purchasing habits etc of the Wii or the PS3, people point to specific games that are going to provide 'proof', then the game comes out and people blame the game as a failure or flawed rather than admitting the demographic argument.

I tried the demographic argument above and was shot down. ;)

I'm not sure who heavily plays the Wii or what they play, but I don't think this group includes hardcore FPS fans. However, considering how lame this game looks (stupid bug slaughterfest) I can see why it wouldn't sell big from that angle too. On the OTHER other hand, if there's a Wii audience that's hard up for some shooter action, I thought that this game would get their attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, the graphics are no that important to me, especially on Wii. The game itself did not look very good. I'm sure the customizable controls are great, but the screenshots and videos I saw did nothing for me. I'm a sci-fi fan too. I'm not sure what it is that threw me off, but this game never really made its way onto my radar.

Meh. Can somebody point me to the FPS on the Wii that has better graphics or plays better?

As Swaayne said, even if you it was a mediocre at best FPS, you'd think it would do better on the Wii because of lack of competition. Mediocre at best FPS can still sell well on the 360, for example. Install base + No competition, you'd think the game would have to be the worst piece of garbage ever not to produce respectable sales.

Unless, there's no FPS fans on the Wii, or those that are have other systems (PC, PS3, 360) for that fix and won't suffer such a huge difference in graphics.

Back