(MotionDSP Carmel) the end of low framerates?

CNCAddict

Regular
Could this technology be used to provide filler frames in a low FPS gaming situation to smooth things out? I realize it may induce some lag and possibly artifacts since it can only look at past frames, and not future frames. However, it does seem like this could be a method to eliminate the jitters forever. Where am I wrong?

http://www.motiondsp.com/products/Carmel

MSU group has similar tool (an AVS plug-in) which does frame interpolation for slow-motion effects, but all those methods suffer from a specific "transition" defects in some cases, anyway. ;)

Thanks for the links..reading it now. My main question is if users would prefer to have some artifacts and slight lagging with very smooth gameplay as opposed to having no artifacts, same lag, and extremely choppy graphics. I guess in the extreme case some really strange stuff would happen in the game (characters merging with walls, shadows from objects no longer there, etc.) But in general I think this has some worth.

Brian, your thread link basically covers all the issues. Super kudos for posting that....I think this thread can die unless someone has Carmel specific info.

Interesting technology, but basic motion compensation not suitable for fast paced action games as it adds the frame latency a bit. But for slower paced games and cut scenes (or fmv sequences) technologies like this work very well.

It seems like this method would be more interesting to explore for games.

About that old thread of mine. We have a new version of that technology incorporated to our new graphics engine. It's now called "Predicted surface pixel cache", and we are using our physics engine integrator to predict the future frames. It works very well, and the technology actually decreases the controller to screen latency significantly instead of increasing it like the common motion compensation techniques.

About that old thread of mine. We have a new version of that technology incorporated to our new graphics engine. It's now called "Predicted surface pixel cache", and we are using our physics engine integrator to predict the future frames. It works very well, and the technology actually decreases the controller to screen latency significantly instead of increasing it like the common motion compensation techniques.

Sebbbi, awesome idea. Do you have a video/demo/game anywhere which shows the results of your predictor?

I take it somewhat like advection, you are using the motion vectors of the previous frame(s) to compose the next frame so you don't have latency.

One would think that object slowdown overshoot problem might be visible to the player, but I guess not if you add in (de)acceleration to the prediction.

Have you tried mixing this with interleaved or non-full frame rendering as well?

Back