[360] Halo 3: ODST

• Quite the upbeat theme. Not sure if I like it or dislike it.
  • Rain sounds like a love theme to me. :LOL:
  • Traffic :yes:
  • Neon Night sounds seductive in a tropical island way :?:
Maybe I just need proper context. I'm certainly not a pro music reviewer (just my personal impressions). :LOL:

Hmmm, I was probably not going to pick this up until I saw that latest ViDoc. Now I'm kinda interested again.

Kinda cool it showed one of the ODST with a peraonalized helmet (looked like he painted teeth on the bottom part of his helmet to look like a lower jaw).

Regards,
SB

Got it!!! The one thing I can tell actually (before I'm finish it alone), it's a very good and fun game for now! Start it in 2 co-cop legendary slip-screen with my wife, and killing a brute is a very intense and pleasant moment, but when you fall on Hunters… you run like grunts showing the Chief!!!! ;)
And from a women point of view is a really good game but these f***** damned covenants really don't want to die?

Made a little 2 co-op Firefight and is really fun, Dying in the second wave, not to bad for a first round.

Heh, I always get a chuckle at sites that ding a game because it's more of the same. When for good titles, more of the same is what a lot of people want in a series.

Regards,
SB

Heh, I always get a chuckle at sites that ding a game because it's more of the same. When for good titles, more of the same is what a lot of people want in a series.

Regards,
SB

Exactly and also reason why people keep watching same series on TV without getting tired.

It's Halo. Expect the hate. It's funny to see people with pirated copies posting "reviews" on blogs.

I find it more laughable when ... bypass the reputable meta sites for "meta blogger" sites that promote a fashion [strike]site[/strike] blog :)lol:) as the first review. Trawling for hits for sure on both ends and it is not a surprise that it is extremely negative of course and as about as thorough as flamebait. Different opinions are good (I am not too keen on ODST myself) but how over the top the "fever pitch" gets is, well, quite an interesting social experiment!

Of course the recent CVG hyperbole in favor of ODST was just as obnoxious.

I ordered the game from Tesco, and received it by chance on Friday. I have played through the campaign and enjoyed every minute of it.

The hub city is superb, yep it looks similar and yes it’s massive but your Nav stops you from wandering aimlessly. There’s plenty to explore. The flashbacks are very well done indeed and this adds a lot of variety to the game to contrast with the hub.

Playing as an ODST does at first feel very similar to Master Chief, however one major difference soon becomes apparent, you feel more vulnerable. The fact that your health is not restored unless you find a med kit creates tension especially if its in a middle of a gunfight, a beeping sound warns when your near death and continues until you find health (this beeping noise has upset a few people, I found it fine).

The Story is the most concise and well presented in any Halo game that’s for sure, it’s not going to win any literary awards or anything like that but it’s entertaining and you can actually follow the plot, not many video games can say that.

The only problem for me is that the game is so well balanced and presented it just leaves you want more, so much more just as the credits roll. It’s a great game no doubts about.

I ordered the game from Tesco, and received it by chance on Friday. I have played through the campaign and enjoyed every minute of it.

The hub city is superb, yep it looks similar and yes it’s massive but your Nav stops you from wandering aimlessly. There’s plenty to explore. The flashbacks are very well done indeed and this adds a lot of variety to the game to contrast with the hub.

Playing as an ODST does at first feel very similar to Master Chief, however one major difference soon becomes apparent, you feel more vulnerable. The fact that your health is not restored unless you find a med kit creates tension especially if its in a middle of a gunfight, a beeping sound warns when your near death and continues until you find health (this beeping noise has upset a few people, I found it fine).

The Story is the most concise and well presented in any Halo game that’s for sure, it’s not going to win any literary awards or anything like that but it’s entertaining and you can actually follow the plot, not many video games can say that.

The only problem for me is that the game is so well balanced and presented it just leaves you want more, so much more just as the credits roll. It’s a great game no doubts about.

Does the hub world make for much of a sandbox gameplay environment? ie. can you pass your time killing Covenant patrols etc. like GTA Halo or something?

Ben Kuchara at Ars Technica says it's a $60 expansion..then again apparently he's been a hater all along :p

If you want to wash the taste of that bad review away, the Gamepro video review says it's the best Halo game yet.

I do think the decision not to have matchmaking in Firefight was a terrible one and will ruin that mode for many. Such as me for example. I only have one IRL friend I 360 game with, and he doesnt have internet (yes he has a 360 but not internet, it's a wife's family budget thing). Beyond that I dont play MP much in any games, dont particularly care to friend randoms (requests to go play game X while you're playing game Y are more annoying than anything) and so have a grand total of 1 XBL friend (and I haven't seen/played with him or even played online at all much in months).

Bottom line the mode will be pretty useless to me I guess (unless you can play it single player, I dont know, and even then it would be limited obviously). Although, I'm not that big on Gears horde mode anyway, preferring PVP MP, I would have at least liked to play around with firefight mode a bit.

The odds of anybody having friends online ready to play Firefight whenever they want, especially after some time passes and fewer are playing the game, seems slim in the best of cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think the decision not to have matchmaking in Firefight was a terrible one and will ruin that mode for many. Such as me for example. I only have one IRL friend I 360 game with, and he doesnt have internet (yes he has a 360 but not internet, it's a wife's family budget thing). Beyond that I dont play MP much in any games, dont particularly care to friend randoms (requests to go play game X while you're playing game Y are more annoying than anything) and so have a grand total of 1 XBL friend (and I haven't seen/played with him or even played online at all much in months).

Just to toss it out, but there is about a dozen of us here from B3D (+ our individual friends) that do play together. If it weren't for the B3D and Gameryde guys I would have 1 (!) friend on Live. So, uhhh, yeah. Join up ;)

Does the hub world make for much of a sandbox gameplay environment? ie. can you pass your time killing Covenant patrols etc. like GTA Halo or something?

I don't want to give to much away but the hub is the central pivot of the game, yes you can spend some time exploring and Convenant are there in numbers. However not all the city is freely available it opens in sections as you move the story along.

Precisely.

Except, of course, Gears of War (8), GRAW (8), Oblivion (8), Bioshock (8), Shadow Complex (7), Mass Effect (7), Double Agent (8), etc.

Oh, and :)

Are they insane? I can't believe they rated Shadow Complex a 7!! It's a brilliant game. That and Trials HD are my favorites at the moment.

Back