[360] Halo 3: ODST

Halo3 still stands head and shoulders above any other games I've played for portaying lighting when going from dark (in door or cave areas) into open clear sunshine. Saying that it would be a dissapointment if they haven't improved the engine over H3, AF and AA are obvious as are getting it 720p. Bizarre did it with PGR4.

I have to agree here I still think that Halo 3's lighting is in a world of its own just watch a scarab blow up and tell me you didn’t smile. I don’t think that the engine needs to much improvement AF and AA would be nice but Halo has 2 things going for it that no other game IMO has come close to, seamless transition from foot to vehicular combat AND showing at least your 6 basic colors in the rainbow lol, that second part I’m kidding about but it's actually kind of true. I just get board looking at monochromatic games like you see with RE5, KZ2 and even Gears, all amazingly great looking but it just looks like they lost half the box of crayons lol. I can’t speak for anyone else but I like to see color every now and again and I think that Bungie should be honored for what they accomplished on all 3 Halos. Granted the human models were seriously lacking and the aliasing can be horrendous if you’re looking for it, but with that much action going on and 50 different things on screen the only time you notice it is when you’re dead. Halo 3 is a BEATIFUL game I'll take some campaign shots during the week and post them to show some of the stuff that stands out, but for the scarab explosion its better left seeing in action

...Halo 3 is a BEATIFUL game I'll take some campaign shots during the week and post them to show some of the stuff that stands out, but for the scarab explosion its better left seeing in action

i agree. it is under rated especially considering the scope of the battles and people forget that this is not a corridor shooter. Many battles are expansive and open. the graphics astound me even in MP (which will be part of this ODST). I think it must loook better on some set ups than others as for me on my tv it is crisp (for no AA) and bright and the textures and lighting and physics and effects are wonderful.

I expect ODST to raise the bar a bit on the SP graphics as well considering H3 will be over two years old by the time this releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it must loook better on some set ups than others as for me on my tv it is crisp (for no AA) and bright and the textures and lighting and physics and effects are wonderful.

That's something I've definitely noticed. The game loses a lot on the roommates' cheap LCD panels in comparison to my beloved HDCRT. The softness hides the jaggies a bit as well.

That's something I've definitely noticed. The game loses a lot on the roommates' cheap LCD panels in comparison to my beloved HDCRT. The softness hides the jaggies a bit as well.

yep my DLP softens the edges just fine while still maintaining a crisp clean look while on an LCD monitor I have seen it on, it's worse. On my step- son's CRT it is really nice.

seamless transition from foot to vehicular combat

I'm not sure I understand. How are Halo's vehicles radically different from, say, Battlefield? Or Halflife, actually. Hell, in Halflife 2 getting in an out of vehicles is really seamless, it doesn't even change cameras.

AND showing at least your 6 basic colors in the rainbow lol, that second part I’m kidding about but it's actually kind of true. I just get board looking at monochromatic games like you see with RE5, KZ2 and even Gears, all amazingly great looking but it just looks like they lost half the box of crayons lol. I can’t speak for anyone else but I like to see color every now and again and I think that Bungie should be honored for what they accomplished on all 3 Halos. Granted the human models were seriously lacking and the aliasing can be horrendous if you’re looking for it, but with that much action going on and 50 different things on screen the only time you notice it is when you’re dead. Halo 3 is a BEATIFUL game I'll take some campaign shots during the week and post them to show some of the stuff that stands out, but for the scarab explosion its better left seeing in action

A lot of that is art-style, though, rather than tech. In fact, you seem to be highlighting art in spite of tech, in what you're saying. And Halo's art-style isn't for everyone.

I was wondering, would you be able to buy ODST and use the maps in Halo 3? Sounds stupid question but I want to get 1750/1750 79/79 achievements for Halo 3, don't want to buy the maps when I already have them.

I was wondering, would you be able to buy ODST and use the maps in Halo 3? Sounds stupid question but I want to get 1750/1750 79/79 achievements for Halo 3, don't want to buy the maps when I already have them.

I think any achievements you get in ODST MP, will be counted like your normal H3 game.

MP will be absolutely identical to H3, so I would assume that achievements would perform similarily.

not sure how that will work. I know that all the maps up to date will be included on the ODST disc though. I would imagine that online achievements would cross over to H3 but who knows?

Most Halo 3 buyers wouldn't have noticed anything extraordinary (if they had played any other AAA current gen shooter).

I myself only had two or three 'wow, impressive lighting' moments during the game, in the forests of the 1st level, when you come out of the tunnel into the savannah in the beginning of Tsavo Highway, and the lighting coupled with the smoke/fire in Floodgate.

The lack of AA (amplified by the sub HD rendering) on the other hand, is noticeable nearly all the time on certain levels.

That's true, I did only have a few 'wow, impressive lighting' moments. The entire level 'sierra 117' was great in terms of lighting, and the scarab explosions did wow me. Still, the lighting is the one thing I find memorable (within Halo, I'm not comparing it to other games).

I think one large problem with Halo 3's graphics is that there were few levels that really showed off Halo 3's lighting. If bungie can make all of ODST look as impressive as Sierra 117 then I would be happy; if they can't do that, then I may prefer AA over the lighting. It's a tough call though.

I may give Halo 3 another run-through, it may be interesting to refresh my memory of how it looks, especially in light of playing recent games.

Joshua said:
* Game-type: Race. After toying around with Forge and Custom Game types (as well as downloading some race types) it has become obvious a lot of people want a race type. Using VIP where VIPs can drive vehicles and utilizing a check point system you can simulate a rally race in a general sense. But a true racing system (laps and check points) would be a fun addition to Halo 3.

They used to have a playlist called Rocket Race. Four teams of two, one VIP per team, everyone is invincible except to assassinations. Everyone has rocket launchers :smile: and each team starts with a mongoose. The VIP has to reach the checkpoint to score - he cannot drive the mongoose. So you have teams of two riding around on mongeese with the passengers wielding rockets trying to capture 10 checkpoints to win. It's fun for but wears thin after a while.

As for the rendering, I don't think the textures in Halo are actually very high res. Remember reading that they use some clever shader tricks to 'fake' in more detail than is actually present in the texture. It looks damn good up close, but I'm not sure AF would actually help in this case. Of course I have no authority on this matter and could be completely wrong.

At the top of my wishlist is AA, even just 2x, but not at the expense of the beautimus HDR. And I'm sure if this was possible they would've done it the first time so I'll just live with the jaggies.

you need to apply for a job there. :smile:

You know how many people just screamed and slapped their hand against their head? :LOL: Or as Robert says, "He wants to turn every game into Battlefield" ;) Actually, I just enjoy Team work oriented games with objectives and allow people to play roles that give them a sense of accomplishment and reward outside of "I have faster twitch muscles than you do." I also like weapons and vehicles that have nicely defined roles. Anyhow, MS knows where I love. Heck, it would be a 10 minute drive to come visit and woo me ;) Maybe I can work on their new MMO :smile:

You know how many people just screamed and slapped their hand against their head? :LOL: Or as Robert says, "He wants to turn every game into Battlefield" ;) Actually, I just enjoy Team work oriented games with objectives and allow people to play roles that give them a sense of accomplishment and reward outside of "I have faster twitch muscles than you do." I also like weapons and vehicles that have nicely defined roles.

We have completely different tastes in MP I see. I always suck when I play teams with friends via splitscreen or system link in Halo or CoD, our team usually lose.

Though I'm proficient at the 'faster twitch muscles' part and dominate FFA deathmatches etc.I make a bad leader (or babysitter) and tend to get frustrated with my teammates (unless they're as good or better than me) and usually just give up and go lone wolf.

In Battlefield (2,2142 and BC) i'm usually a sniper, and sneak behind enemy lines so I can snipe people in the back, while they're all watching the frontlines in the opposite direction. :smile: I love remaining undetected.

I also hated it when you get noobs following you in Battlefield, and they give away your position.

Does anyone know if when playing splitscreen the tonemapping is done on a per 'tile' basis or if it's applied to the whole screen? E.g if I'm outside sniping and my buddy is camping in the base with a shotty, will his screen be too dark and mine too bright?

Does anyone know if when playing splitscreen the tonemapping is done on a per 'tile' basis or if it's applied to the whole screen? E.g if I'm outside sniping and my buddy is camping in the base with a shotty, will his screen be too dark and mine too bright?

I haven't played split screen recently, but there's an easy way to check at the very start of The Ark level while you are all in the pelicans still. When you look into the pelican to see the troops and then shift your view outside, you'll get that tone-mapping effect each time.

Haven't made it to that mission but yeah I suppose it would be a fairly easy thing to test..

And upon testing it appears it is per 'tile'. Good :cool:

Finished Halo 3 on Heroic this morning at 4AM.

Now to tackle Legendary.

While playing last night, I was really surprised by how big some of the areas are.

Also the loading is done with a barely a hitch when you pass new checkpoints that I wonder why most games don't adopt something similar.

Finished Halo 3 on Heroic this morning at 4AM.

Now to tackle Legendary.

While playing last night, I was really surprised by how big some of the areas are.

Also the loading is done with a barely a hitch when you pass new checkpoints that I wonder why most games don't adopt something similar.

Part of the reason is because texture loads are fairly low. If they had put higher quality textures that require a high amount of space, load times would also go up.

It's one of the compromises they made to make loading seperate sections extremely quick. Likewise if you can maintain mostly similar textures between "areas."

If you look at the stuff ID is doing for Rage, you'll see they are working on their own set of compromises for load times versus texture quality.

Regards,
SB

Back