[360] Halo 3: ODST

I don't get why they should leave out AA/AF so they can persist with their lighting model, which most people didn't notice anyway (unlike the jaggies) and KZ2 has H3 solidly beat for lighting anyway.

It's not like their partially realistic, vibrant art style requires such sophisticated lighting anyway.

I don't get why they should leave out AA/AF so they can persist with their lighting model, which most people didn't notice anyway (unlike the jaggies) and KZ2 has H3 solidly beat for lighting anyway.

It's not like their partially realistic, vibrant art style requires such sophisticated lighting anyway.

Am I misreading that or did you just say that most people didn't notice the lighting in Halo 3? Honest question.

Halo3 still stands head and shoulders above any other games I've played for portaying lighting when going from dark (in door or cave areas) into open clear sunshine. Saying that it would be a dissapointment if they haven't improved the engine over H3, AF and AA are obvious as are getting it 720p. Bizarre did it with PGR4.

Halo3 still stands head and shoulders above any other games I've played for portaying lighting when going from dark (in door or cave areas) into open clear sunshine. Saying that it would be a dissapointment if they haven't improved the engine over H3, AF and AA are obvious as are getting it 720p. Bizarre did it with PGR4.

Have you played KZ2? Sometimes when the lighting hits just right things look freaking real.

Have you played KZ2? Sometimes when the lighting hits just right things look freaking real.

Yeah I'm playing through KZ2 now, think I'm on the 4th level and lighting is indeed impressive but the lighting is completley different for both games. KZ2 is gritty in colour so the muzzle flashes and explosions are empasised and do look real. Halo3 goes from dark interior areas to open clear sunshine with bright colours everywhere, highground for example very impressively. Thats something I have yet to see in KZ2 becasue it doesn't at this point to seem to have that range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I misreading that or did you just say that most people didn't notice the lighting in Halo 3? Honest question.

Most Halo 3 buyers wouldn't have noticed anything extraordinary (if they had played any other AAA current gen shooter).

I myself only had two or three 'wow, impressive lighting' moments during the game, in the forests of the 1st level, when you come out of the tunnel into the savannah in the beginning of Tsavo Highway, and the lighting coupled with the smoke/fire in Floodgate.

The lack of AA (amplified by the sub HD rendering) on the other hand, is noticeable nearly all the time on certain levels.

here is an example (random sample) of the lighting that i think even indoors is so lovely.

68394219-Full.jpg

here is an example (random sample) of the lighting that i think even indoors is so lovely.

Nothing strikes me as special lighting, what are we looking for?

BTW try finding a true in game capture, everything is from theater mode.

Because they traded resource hungry AA & AF for HDR (this was an ongoing discussion earlier). By using the bullshots people are hiding the cost. What I see in game is a aliased low-res mess.

Oh I did not know that, thanks.

not on my tv. while playing a game you do not notice the aliasing as much as you DO notice that the HDR is that good.

I notice both :)

Are we still going on the assumption that Recon will be 'more of the same' wrt the renderer?

I notice both :)

Are we still going on the assumption that Recon will be 'more of the same' wrt the renderer?

"notice as much as" :D

there is no confirmation of the Sp and I'd be willing to bet that the SP my be improved rendering while the MP is just the same Halo 3 code. Hopefully they will announce some ODST MP games as well with new MP code :p

Are they basically including the Halo 3 multiplayer component on the disc? i.e. you can play Halo 3 MP from the ODST disc instead of inserting Halo 3.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170544
In the bits of noncampaign information given, Smith and Jarrard also noted that Recon and Halo 3 players can play across both games in multiplayer, and that Recon will sport another full 1,000 points of Gamerscore and some new multiplayer achievements.

Hey this reminds me of something; what's up with the new H3 maps? I have to buy Halo Wars to get them? That's BULLSHIT!

Are they basically including the Halo 3 multiplayer component on the disc? i.e. you can play Halo 3 MP from the ODST disc instead of inserting Halo 3.

yes... this add on disc includes the same MP game as the original H3 with a separate SP campaign. (*that's why I have not been shy about posting Halo 3 Mp info in this thread.) ;)

i just am still holding out hope that there is also a ODST MP component added. :smile:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170544

Hey this reminds me of something; what's up with the new H3 maps? I have to buy Halo Wars to get them? That's BULLSHIT!

timed exclusive... the map pack will be on sale on marketplace soon

Because they traded resource hungry AA & AF for HDR (this was an ongoing discussion earlier). By using the bullshots people are hiding the cost. What I see in game is a aliased low-res mess.

True, the lack of AA is far more noticeable than some subtle lighting effects. I don't really see what's that special about the lighting either, it looks nice (especially the character model lighting) but what makes it stand out against other AAA FPS/TPSs?

Yes, it's identical to H3 MP except with all the maps (DLC + non-DLC) and three exclusive ones. Let's me free up quite a bit of disk space on my HDD.

Back