[360] Halo 3: ODST

Gameplayer

“If you survey the whole Halo trilogy, our most successful environments were actually very non-linear, or at least offered players lots of tactical, geometric choices,” Staten says, going some way to explain the exact layout of the Halo 3: ODST world. “With Halo 3: ODST, we’ve applied that same philosophy to an urban setting. More broadly, there’s still a linear story to enjoy, but it’s broken into bite-sized pieces that the player can consume in any order he wants as he explores the midnight streets of New Mombasa. The city definitely has limits, but it’s absolutely the largest, most ambitious and wide-open space we’ve ever created.”

“We’ve implemented lots of targeted tweaks to make the player feel like an ODST instead of a Spartan: a very capable mortal instead of an aliencrushing god.”

The four-player co-op should prove more tactically important for Halo 3: ODST. In Halo 3, it ended up just being a melee, but with alternate routes and an open world, a communicative team should be able to use the environment to their advantage and co-ordinate some daring flanking manoeuvres.

I'm wondering if the above means they will be going for a more cover based combat system ala Gears of War (although maybe not as dependant on it).

After all it's hard to feel mortal if you can run and gun and take upteen million (yes an exaggeration) hits.

A stealthy (Thief I or II) style gameplay would be fun also. After all this is "Recon."

Mmmm, and if they have lots of sniping opportunities. I loves me some snipin'.

Regards,
SB

Even an INT8 buffer isn't needed to see low dynamic noise range. Off-topic material removed.

Even an INT8 buffer isn't needed to see low dynamic noise range. Off-topic material removed.

what happened to all the posts, including mine, I didn't say anything about low dynamic noise range.

wheres the archived version of this thread? what happened

LOL! I think it was a little more high frequency, like a buzzing. My ODST feature wish list post was bound to attract flies. :p

The discussion is Halo:ODST, not the rendering engine of H3 which had its own thread. Off-topic posts run the risk of being removed if those contributing to the OT discussion don't know when to quit, regardless of how much truth is in those OT posts.

This discussion should be about Halo:Recon but whatever ;-)

Edit: No you mong, stop posting when drunk........lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I hope the lighting engine in ODST is as good as Halo 3's but with some AA and a higher resolution.

I am still unsure as to how the MP will work. is it a new engine that will allow an ODST graphic engine in MP or is it using the exact same engine as Halo 3 and working seamlessly online with H3 players? this of course is assuming that the MP in ODST interacts online with H3 which I believe is correct.

Man, I hope the lighting engine in ODST is as good as Halo 3's but with some AA and a higher resolution.

I am still unsure as to how the MP will work. is it a new engine that will allow an ODST graphic engine in MP or is it using the exact same engine as Halo 3 and working seamlessly online with H3 players? this of course is assuming that the MP in ODST interacts online with H3 which I believe is correct.

The MP is identical to H3 MP, except the disk has all maps ever released by Bungie, plus 3 maps exclusive to the ODST release.

The MP is identical to H3 MP, except the disk has all maps ever released by Bungie, plus 3 maps exclusive to the ODST release.

Which makes me wonder if there will be ODST specific game types. As I'd imagine they would get slaughtered by anyone playing a Spartan. :p

Regards,
SB

Which makes me wonder if there will be ODST specific game types. As I'd imagine they would get slaughtered by anyone playing a Spartan. :p

Regards,
SB

No ODST's, you play as Spartans/Elites like normal. It is identical to H3 MP in every which way, except for bonus maps.

No ODST's, you play as Spartans/Elites like normal. It is identical to H3 MP in every which way, except for bonus maps.

Well that's certainly disappointing... All this gameplay centered around the ODSTs and then multiplayer has nothing to do with them.

Regards,
SB

Hopefully we will see some new weapons and more importantly some more game types / type modifiers. e.g. Why Territories doesn't have an option for time-based-points like King of the Hill is beyond me. And why you cannot mix game types... or why the Customer Powerups can get almost every single important features of the VIP setting lest hill/flag capture and health/weapon regen (think medic here) makes my shake my fists. These sort of minor niggles, plus no server browser, just meh. Good start but their unwillingness to patch and expand these features post release for a 8m+ selling game is silly.

Well that's certainly disappointing... All this gameplay centered around the ODSTs and then multiplayer has nothing to do with them.

Regards,
SB

We may see new gametypes/match settings though like Joshua said.

I think they didn't include a whole new MP game, because this is a rather small SP focused project. And letting people play as ODST's would have opened a pandora's box of balancing and gameplay changes that would have been needed to be made. Playing as ODST's may not be as fun as playing as Spartans/Elite's either.

I suppose you can 'pretend' to be ODST's by changing the match settings in H3, to make players run slower, have no shields, and increase the gravity so they can't jump as high.

I don't mind that they don't have new multiplayer, would much rather see them spend development time on the SP and improving the graphics (especially adding AA) instead.

Will have agility advantages over the Spartan type in this game? Higher jumps, faster run speed or anything like that? I know Bungie hasn't said anything like that but it could be interesting for a Halo game to have some Crysis like abilities.

Will have agility advantages over the Spartan type in this game? Higher jumps, faster run speed or anything like that? I know Bungie hasn't said anything like that but it could be interesting for a Halo game to have some Crysis like abilities.

those type of abilities have been available in H3 in multiplayer custom games since release but not in SP.

I think ODST is more human with less ability

those type of abilities have been available in H3 in multiplayer custom games since release but not in SP.

I think ODST is more human with less ability

I thought you still had a suit but just not that it isn't built for heavy combat?

I haven't play H3 MP in ages. I usually play Halo games for the single player believe it or not. I miss Halo:CE

Well, ODST armor from what I understand doesn't have shields, inertial dampeners (to cushion drops from high distances), power assist to boost strength, etc... It's more like standard personal defense armor.

So a Spartan is harder to kill, moves faster, can jump down farther, carry heavier weaponry, etc...

I'm still hoping for ODST specific game types...

Regards,
SB

Well, ODST armor from what I understand doesn't have shields, inertial dampeners (to cushion drops from high distances), power assist to boost strength, etc... It's more like standard personal defense armor.

So a Spartan is harder to kill, moves faster, can jump down farther, carry heavier weaponry, etc...

I'm still hoping for ODST specific game types...

Regards,
SB

ODST gametypes would be pretty similar to SWAT.

As I mentioned earlier you can pretty much turn players into ODST's in H3 by editing the match settings. ie. by gimping the Spartans normal speed/health/jumping attributes.

vanquish,

do you have a source for your info or is it speculation? I was hoping after watching the Landfall vid that the MP would be something akin to a class-type FPS.

In the vid you had a medic, infantry, rocket launcher (heavy weapon?), etc.

I'm also curious as to what visual style they will be going for.

Hopefully Bungie will release some information soon.

Back