Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising (X360,PS3,PC)

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
Sequel to the original Operation Flashpoint game (which was very very good as far as realistic shooter goes).

Eurogamer just wrote a nice preview , and i like what i hear.

Here are som highlights:

stylistically a lot more documentary-style" and can look forward to crazy amounts of attention to detail including "kit [that] doesn't just roll out of a factory fresh - it gets muddy, it gets scratched. We want you to feel these are real, in your hand, getting battered as you dive around running past things."

As you might expect, Flashpoint 2 favours vast, sprawling environments which can accommodate battles of impressive scale. We're told that the island itself spans 220 square kilometers or 134 square miles, and that the viewing distance is about 35km ("It's a damned long distance to see!").

Advanced levels of destructibility are also high on the agenda. "Everything is destructible - and it's persistent. Once it's gone, it's gone, and there's a reason for that. You have to actually be careful what you blow up, because if I blow up building X one mission, I might have really needed that building in the next mission for cover and I've blown it. So you've really got to think when you're dropping 2000 pound bombs everywhere. These all add extra tactical challenges," asserts Lindop.

In total, we're told to expect 70 infantry weapons in the game, with different sights, scopes, and attachments, including "very James Bond-looking Japanese submachine guns and a fully tricked-out Mk16 with a CVLA aim laser". There will be 50 land, air and sea vehicles, each with different strengths and weaknesses.

What I wonder is how this game will compre to ArmA2. Bohemia Interactive's efforts have always seemed like labors of love, for all the problems they had.

So they are using deffered lighting?

~"You can add 100's of lights and the perfomance will barely drop"

EDIT: Well they said it uses deffered lighting!

ah... i love the lighting model and the time of day changes.. and the huge world. If they can bring that together with the multiplayer I will be thrilled.

A little bit disappointed in how it looks to be honest....

the animations are very clunky and rigid, hopefully that'll improve. In terms of appearance it looks okay for such a big world, especially considering it's all destructible, so i really think it's the animations that are letting it down for me at this point.

As long as it's as good as the original though i'll be sold!

The video looked very very rough - can't believe they're planning on releasing this summer.

Also, I really hate that urine glow - yuk.

Jawed

LOL they are copying Bohemian and making it an island just like ArmaA.

Considering the first Operation Flashpoint was a Bohemia product and ArmA really isn't that different (just improved), why would this be of any surprise? Codemasters of course is going to target the same crowd.

If this sequel maintains anywhere near the level of realism found in the first and at levels of ArmA then it will be looked at with blurred eyes on the console front. I'm sorry, but most console gamers are not serious simmers. The graphics for this game should the absolute last point of care.

Well it looks kinda good but a bit barebone regarding vegetation?

I mean compared to the heavily dense forest patches in Arma 2.

I'm assuming (hoping) they were only showcasing the models and lighting (since that's what they talked about) and that the WORK IN PROGRESS means there is a lot more work to be done on animations and environments. After seeing Grid and some snaps of Dirt 2 I'm convinced the EGO engine will look better than that in the end.

Considering the first Operation Flashpoint was a Bohemia product and ArmA really isn't that different (just improved), why would this be of any surprise? Codemasters of course is going to target the same crowd.

If this sequel maintains anywhere near the level of realism found in the first and at levels of ArmA then it will be looked at with blurred eyes on the console front. I'm sorry, but most console gamers are not serious simmers. The graphics for this game should the absolute last point of care.

Hell, most PC gamers will look at it with blurred eyes if it's anything like Op Flashpoint. Charlie 35 24 20 Bravo. Enemy.

The one comment that I found strange is "head and shoulders above everyone else" (or something like that).

Its just that all the visual results shown in that vid has already been done by Cryengine2 and X-Ray ages ago? Also, did anyone think their when he pimped the quality of the Human models ingame, they looked worse than Crysis and even STALKER:CS.

Sorry I dont mean to make this a bashing post but some of their bragging just didnt seem justified.

The one comment that I found strange is "head and shoulders above everyone else" (or something like that).

Its just that all the visual results shown in that vid has already been done by Cryengine2 and X-Ray ages ago? Also, did anyone think their when he pimped the quality of the Human models ingame, they looked worse than Crysis and even STALKER:CS.

Sorry I dont mean to make this a bashing post but some of their bragging just didnt seem justified.

He probably meant it regards to console engines/games.

Back