Japan Sales Thread

I don't think you can label people as disingenuous based on your sales expectation.

PS3 Fat sold rather poorly in Japan (sometimes, not breaking 10K a week). PS3 Slim does much better at say, 25K last week.

The numbers don't seem out of place.

As for PSPGo, is it still more expensive than the regular PSP in Japan ? If so, it is expected to perform worse. It's perceived as a DD device. Unless Sony puts more emphasis on the mobile network and bundle in content packages, it will likely remain so.

I actually don't have any expectation about DSi LL numbers. The market will tell you how much it can carry. Personal expectation has very little to do with it. Like here.

I noticed the amount of posts per week in this thread is proportional to PS3 sales ;)

Usually I keep track of Japanese sales via gaf, and they post a lot more numbers (I think software is more interesting to follow). But I haven't really had the time or energy to really follow the same argument week after week.

I don't even know if SO4 or EoE were a second week in top-10, and I know REGINLEIV did only 22k or so, but that's about it.

Seeing these numbers, make me wonder if MS will even bother trying to make a push in Japan for the next Xbox. I just don't see a console with western origins ever succeeding there.

Regards,
SB

Seeing these numbers, make me wonder if MS will even bother trying to make a push in Japan for the next Xbox. I just don't see a console with western origins ever succeeding there.

Regards,
SB

They will. The first Xbox was an ultimate failer. The 360 has done enormously well considering the fact that they have nowhere else to go but up. 1.2 mil is only bad if it came from the competitors. For MS, it's best to set the measuring stick for itself.

Regards,
SB
I wonder too but who knows that may be a strategy to gain more attention than they have now.

media create averages over the previous 10 + 100 weeks, Ill include totals next time as well
MC1.png

been a while since I posted these, the wii continues its decline, we may in fact see the ps3 edge ahead of the wii's 2year average sometime later this year
MC.png

Since NPD has been delayed, no major changes over the last month + prolly not for the next 2-3 months
MC_26_06_2010.png

Another update, In the next couple of weeks we might have the ps3 overtaking the wii for the first time WRT the previous 12months average sales
japan.png

Don't know where to put this. Don't want to start a new thread. So here it is:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/02/cedec_awards_2010/

CESA held its CEDEC Awards 2010 event yesterday in Yokohama as one leg of the annual CESA Developers Conference event.

Started in 2008, the CEDEC Awards are given out in five categories: programming, visual arts, game design, sound, and network. The focus of the awards is on technology, with the goal being to promote the spread and education of game technology and the development of the game industry.

The winners this year were:

Programming/Development Environment Category
"MyCom Basic Magazine" editorial staff and program submitters.

"Other groups nominated for this award included the Love Plus team (Konami), the Killzone 2 team (Sony) and the Vocaloid development team (at Yamaha)."

Visual Arts Category
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare.

"Other groups nominated for this award included the Love Plus team (Konami), the Yakuza team (Sega), the Bayonetta team and the 428 team (Chunsoft)"

Game Design Category
Demon's Souls

"Other groups nominated for this award included the Mushi King and Oshare Majo teams (Sega), the Dragon Quest IX team (Square Enix), and the Friend Collection team (Nintendo)."

Sound Category
DS-10

"Other groups nominated for this category included the Final Fantasy XIII sound team (Square Enix), the Ar Tonelico 3 team (Namco Bandai), Capcom's sound production staff, and the LittleBigPlanet team (Sony)"

Network Category
Sekai Camera

"Other groups nominated for this category included the Browser Sangokushi team (AQ Interactive), the Online production team at Konami, the torne development team (Sony) and the Demon's Soul team (From Software)."

The link has more details about the entries.

Another CESA news:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/02/square_enix_next_gen_engine/

The identity of the engine has at long last come to light. As reported today at Famitsu.com, Square Enix's Yoshihisa Hashimoto closed off a session at the CESA Developers Conference (CEDEC) event in Yokohama today by providing first details about the new engine, named "Luminous" (in Japanese, "ルミナス").

Hashimoto is producer and technical director on the project. He was joined by the project's lead programmer, Hiroshi Iwasaki. The announcement came at the end of a session discussing the "G2 Engine" and "CDC Engine," which were utilized in the latest Eidos games like Deus Ex and Kane and Lynch.

According to Hashimoto, the goal of Luminous is to create "a game engine that can truly take on the world head on." The engine will incorporate all the old Eidos technology that had been introduced earlier in the session, he said.

Slides shown at the event mentioned that the engine will be a general purpose game development environment for achieving both high efficiency and high quality. Bullet points listed on the slides included (most of these are translated from Japanese): "Visual Editing," "Live Editing," "Concurrent Editing," "Automatic Build and Automatic Test," "Online Friendly," "Asset Management Functionality," "Advanced Rendering," "Task Management," "Simple," "Cross Platform," "General Purpose," "Modularity" and "Scalability."

Japanese slides here:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201009/images/00033025/CPL2gKQ5fXO1CQ9d6Z7629Ghg3Knd76B.html

Stolen from GAF:
Code:
|System |  This Week  |  Last Week  |        YTD  |         LTD  |
------------------------------------------------------------------
|  PSP  |     56.248  |     28.185  |  1.385.913  |  15.129.001  |
|  NDS  |     39.992  |     45.221  |  1.557.662  |  30.836.742  |
|  PS3  |     25.053  |     29.433  |    974.960  |   5.476.327  |
|  WII  |     15.989  |     18.145  |    984.362  |  10.589.561  |
|  360  |      2.665  |      3.842  |    147.789  |   1.357.461  |
|  PS2  |      1.358  |      1.366  |     57.279  |  21.667.456  |
| DSiLL |     19.010  |     21.179  |    819.355  |   1.326.262  |
|  DSi  |     17.057  |     20.030  |    585.464  |   4.924.410  |
|  DSL  |      3.925  |      4.012  |    152.843  |  18.000.599  |
|  PSP  |     55.412  |     27.554  |  1.341.560  |  15.008.893  |
| PSPgo |        836  |        631  |     44.353  |     120.108  |

The Wii's YTD lead ahead of the PS3 is only 10k now. PS3 will probably edge ahead within the coming month.

Back