Japan Sales Thread

Maybe even 150.000 ... but while it's certainly possible, it's not likely. It's likely to be close, but almost certainly in favor of the Wii. But, I'll admit, you never know with Final Fantasy.

@Deepak: the next week's figures suggest another 70.000 deficit for the PS3.

So PS3 has ~120,000 to make up. Certainly possible, i expect it to close plenty of ground over the next two weeks atleast so it could be close. 60,000 over wii for two weeks will be a tall order but if any game can do it its Final Fantasy.

This week's figures, really. The famitsu leak is unreliable so everything's off-kilter. FF releases today or tomorrow, I think, next week's numbers will be more interesting.

I bet total Wii hardware sales of the next to weeks will be higher than PS3, despite FFXIII.

I think the PS3 will at least win one week (next week's MC/Famitsu to be more specific). Rumors are they shipped 200k bundles and there's a good chance they'll sell out.

FF XIII would also have to break the series out of the sales decline it's been in ever since FFVII. In Japan:

---PS1---
FFVII: 3.93m
FFVIII: 3.64m
FFIX: 2.80m
---PS2---
FFX: 3.02m
FFX-2: 2.41m
FFXII: 2.42m

It's popular, but it's no Dragon Quest. There's a bump for the first PS2 game (Oo! Pretty new graphics!), but the decline resumes immediately afterward. The popularity of Final Fantasy in Japan is somewhat mythologized over here.

(I am assuming that since these are older games, whoever runs VGChartz has retconned the numbers to be consistent with press releases, since that's what they usually do.)

The bundle ratio for retailers is 4:100 per ordered games, so with less than 2,000,000 copies shipped that's less than 80,000 bundles.

That doesn't seem to be accurate -- the latest estimate is that SE got 200k bundles. Not sure where NCSX got the 4:100 figure.

Not really worth arguing over as we'll find out soon enough. Anyway, numbers of last week.

Wii 135,898
PS3 75,086
PSP 71,885
DSi 68,184
DSi LL 58,006
DS Lite 11,376
Xbox 360 10,646
PSP go 3,077
PS2 2,463

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

PSPgo continues to be a massive success for Sony.

Wow... higher than I thought. That's like ~36% of the PS3's userbase in japan. PS3 still has a shot at beating the Wii in 2009 after all.

Very unlikely as the PS3 is about 142,000 behind and the Wii will outsell it again next week.

Back