Japan Sales Thread

pipo

Veteran
This deserves a thread. ;)

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 outsold Nintendo’s Wii and Sony’s PS3 in Japan during the week ended September 14, Famitsu reports.

According to an MCV translation of the report, weekly Xbox 360 sales hit 28,681 units, a massive jump on the 843 units shifted a week earlier (Media Create data pegged prior week 360 sales at 1044). In comparison, Nintendo moved 27,057 Wii units and Sony sold just 8,050 PS3s.

Not that it really matters of course. But still...

http://www.edge-online.com/news/japan-360-topples-wii

Pretty amazing..

360 is just on the verge of being an actual viable ongoing platform in Japan, imo. A very low volume one, but sustainable, I mean.

Aha, first we saw Tales of Vesperia boost the 360 to 25.000, then it dropped to 849 due to shortages, and now it's back to 28.000 but that's also in the week that both a price-cut happened, a new model was released, and a square enix RPG was released (Infinite Undiscovery).

The question is, what will happen next week? You should think that eventually the 360 might just take off.

still crap numbers

and looking at the low sales of IU it seems the price cut was the main push behind this bump

The next two weeks consist of Eternal Sonata and X-Edge rpgs for PS3. So I see PS3 numbers going up to about 15ks while 360 numbers falling to 7ks. Wii will go back up to about 35ks. These are my predictions.

Japan is not like America. They buy anything that's new and they will stop buying it after a week. We seen this trend with software as well as hardware. 360 numbers will go back to 2-3ks weekly by October.

The next two weeks consist of Eternal Sonata and X-Edge rpgs for PS3. So I see PS3 numbers going up to about 15ks while 360 numbers falling to 7ks. Wii will go back up to about 35ks. These are my predictions.

Japan is not like America. They buy anything that's new and they will stop buying it after a week. We seen this trend with software as well as hardware. 360 numbers will go back to 2-3ks weekly by October.

I wonder about Eternal Sonata. The nerd contingent that'll buy any RPG may have already played it on the 360.

This is good news for ms. Hopefully they can keep a 10k unit pace through the holiday. It be nice to see them pass up 1m this gen

So what makes you say it'll drop below 1k then?

Simple. MS has now restocked and those barely 30k sales are effectively the demand for the console on a broader scale. You can't tell me they just stocked in less than 50 thousand units in the whole country when they sold out just before that. They must have had several hundred thousands shipped again by now.

Now that demand will die off or already has, as these sales are just the "aftershock" (the game launches are over), you will see a sudden low in sales based on lower demand than usual. You will see a slight increase in the next few months - but directly after a game launch wave like this, you ALWAYS see lower sales. See MGS4-PS3, Halo3-360 and so on. Demand->Sales->Drought.

I wonder about Eternal Sonata. The nerd contingent that'll buy any RPG may have already played it on the 360.

You'd be surprised by how many Japanese favour not playing a game at all instead of playing it on a console notorious for hardware failure and noise.

Now that demand will die off or already has, as these sales are just the "aftershock" (the game launches are over), you will see a sudden low in sales based on lower demand than usual. You will see a slight increase in the next few months - but directly after a game launch wave like this, you ALWAYS see lower sales. See MGS4-PS3, Halo3-360 and so on. Demand->Sales->Drought.

You mean like PS3 was selling about 8-10k before MGS4 hit Japan and then almost 80k during the release week of MGS 4, 23k the week after and 18,5k the week after that with MGS 4 being the only PS3 title in the top 20 chart during those two weeks. My math is telling me that 18,5 and 23 is bigger than 8-10...

But hey let's wait for a week, let's see how your analysis will go this time.

Pretty amazing..

360 is just on the verge of being an actual viable ongoing platform in Japan, imo. A very low volume one, but sustainable, I mean.

I'm not so sure, I think it's more timing than anything else. It's not like the 360 hasn't sold this many units before, Blue Dragon bumped it up over 30k at one point too...that lasted like a week.

So I guess time will tell, but it seems like it's just due to the Wii faltering a little lately, and PS3 not having any major releases.

Back