Console pricing thread

Seems as if europe will get another price cut for Xbox 360 consoles, bundles and accessories tomorrow. At least in germany:

Xbox 360 Pro 60GB old retail price:
239 Euro

Xbox 360 Pro 60GB new retail price:
199 Euro

Xbox 360 Elite 120GB old retail price:
299 Euro

Xbox 360 Elite 120GB new retail price:
249 Euro

More through the link:

http://www.computerbase.de/news/consumer_electronics/konsolen/microsoft/2008/dezember/xbox_360_preissenkung_weihnachten/

They lower the price two weeks ahead of christmas. Wonder what triggered that?

Will be interesting to see if anyone else is following suit.

My first (and soon only) Sony Rewards card bill came, $221.79 ($150 reward included). That was for the 80GB PS3 and four BD movies from Amazon. Time to close the account, mission accomplished.

I sold my 60GB for $500. So my plan to get the latest ultra-quiet PS3 and some guilt free cash for games was pulled off quite well.

Excellent work. I haven't seen any kind of demand for the 60GB like that over here or I would definitely consider doing the same!

Seems as if europe will get another price cut for Xbox 360 consoles, bundles and accessories tomorrow. At least in germany.

Hmm what about the Arcade? Well anyways those prices are really low. 60GB with Call of Duty 5 for 209€ is a great deal. Elite for 249 is pretty good too... And some of the drops in accesories are quite welcome too, like the Wifi and 60GB starter kit now for 59€.

If true, MS is getting crazily serious in Europe. After taking so long to get off the mark with price cuts, I'm surprised they're being as aggressive as they are now. Maybe the lightbulb in their head has some lag or something.

If true, MS is getting crazily serious in Europe. After taking so long to get off the mark with price cuts, I'm surprised they're being as aggressive as they are now. Maybe the lightbulb in their head has some lag or something.

Perhaps its just the jaspers entering the chain. Its the first process shrink to gpu. Perhaps it will also be followed closely by the waternoose hitting 45nm in 2009. Or of course its because the next xbox is coming

Maybe they needed a boost in Germany?

Germany doesnt get some of the biggest 360 titles due to censorship (Gears of War series), so I've always figured the console would struggle there.

The best time to attack is when your enemy is weak

Everyone is saying that Microsoft want to keep this generation as long as possible so that they can get their money back...

IMO, their best strategy would be to stick to the traditional console lifecycle, go reasonably high tech in 2011-2012 and try to lure Sony into another spending war.

The videogame business is such a volatile industry that if they can kill off a major player like Sony, it'll likely remain a two horse race.

The weak British pound makes the products quite cheap currently. I browsed the Amazon UK site and noticed that the X360 Elite is 209£, which currently is about 233€, Arcade is 124£ or 137€. PS3 80GB is 279£ or 310€. Pretty nice prices.

The weak British pound makes the products quite cheap currently. I browsed the Amazon UK site and noticed that the X360 Elite is 209£, which currently is about 233€, Arcade is 124£ or 137€. PS3 80GB is 279£ or 310€. Pretty nice prices.

Zavvi are selling the Arcade for £99 at the moment (in shop - not sure about online). Game are selling the PS3 with a 4-game bundle (LBP, R2, Fallout, Lost) for around £290.

Hmm Play.com is ripping people off with their exchange rates... Red Alert 3 is 25£ (28€) but they are asking 35€ for it and it is just as worse with other products aswell.

Amazon.uk doesn't want to ship videogames to Finland apparently... I tried to order Little Big Planet and Valkyria Chronicles, but it seems to be a no go... What's up with that?

Hmm Play.com is ripping people off with their exchange rates...
I think they're doing that to gain a buffer for the variable EU VAT for the stuff that doesn't ship from Jersey (all >£18 items for sure, and who knows perhaps whatever else) and still keep a flat price. As opposed to Amazon UK who deducts UK VAT and adds it back at the recipient country's rate at checkout.
Amazon.uk doesn't want to ship videogames to Finland apparently...
Neither of those are sold by Amazon. Associate/marketplace vendors may or may not ship internationally. All games that are "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk." should work fine.

What is going one in Great Britain? Some of the PS3 game prices are ridiculous low. Resistance 2, Mirrors Edge, LBP , Motorstorm 2, POP for 25 euro in some shops.

When the dollars was one it’s lowest I wasn’t able to get such bargains even when buying the asian version of a game.

For me it’s great because GB is a neighboring Country and mostly I get game shipments really fast (+/- 3 days) but I'm not sure what is going on right now.

What is going one in Great Britain? Some of the PS3 game prices are ridiculous low. Resistance 2, Mirrors Edge, LBP , Motorstorm 2, POP for 25 euro in some shops.

When the dollars was one it’s lowest I wasn’t able to get such bargains even when buying the asian version of a game.

For me it’s great because GB is a neighboring Country and mostly I get game shipments really fast (+/- 3 days) but I'm not sure what is going on right now.

The ps3 is doing poorly over there compared to the rest of europe. So i'm sure they are being agressive trying to recoup sales

With the cost of hardware relative to revenue sounding alarms on the console front, maybe Sony has taken the angle of lowering software prices (where there are still margins to play with) in order to support the platform.

With the cost of hardware relative to revenue sounding alarms on the console front, maybe Sony has taken the angle of lowering software prices (where there are still margins to play with) in order to support the platform.

This may be the case to some degree, but the low prices are not just a PS3 thing. A lot of new multiplatform titles can be bought for peanuts. I bought Pure for £18 from amazon some time ago and yesterday I was really tempted to buy Far Cry 2 for £18 at play.com. (both the PS3 and the 360 versions were at the same price then)

However, the prices fluctuate a lot on amazon depending on if amazon themself have the game in stock or not.

Could also be a glut of PS3 titles in the channel in anticipation of stronger holiday-console driven sales than actually materialized, and retailers are simply lowering prices to move excess stock.

The prices are low for both 360 and PS3 in equal measure here in the UK, it's not a PS3 only phenomenon. Every game seems to be receiving massive discounts.

Play.com's current 1 & 2 on either platform are PoP (£24.99) and FC2 (£17.99). The standard price for a new game on Play is £39.99 for comparison.

It's a good time to be an English gamer, that's for sure :D

BTW beware of quoting Play.com or Amazon.co.uk if they have no direct stock, as they quote the cheapest trade-in/third party seller price available on their website in that case, usually excluding hefty P&P fees too.

From what i have seen there are actually more great 360 deals about at the min than PS3, hardware and software.

For anyone in UK check out hotukdeals.com its great

BlahDVD has little big planet for 17.99£. Due to pounds exchange rate it's nice to be a gamer who receives paycheck in euros :)

Back