Real or apocryphal?

Moore wasn't the only one smarting from the PS2's success. In the late 1990s, Gates was in talks with Kutaragi to include the Windows operating system in the PS2. But Kutaragi had long seen Gates as the most lethal threat to his empire. Bernie Stolar, a former Sony executive, remembers Kutaragi asking him as early as 1994 where he thought the nascent PlayStation console's main competition would come from. Nintendo, Stolar guessed. Maybe Intel. Kutaragi looked him squarely in the eyes. "No, Bernie, you are wrong," he said. "It is Microsoft. And I will kill them."
Did KK really predict in 1994 that MS would be their biggest rival in the console business.

So where did you get this quote from?

It sounds as interesting as that supposedly leaked magazine article interview with Nintendo's the President venting his thoughts over Microsoft's attempted buyout of Nintendo.

So where did you get this quote from?

It sounds as interesting as that supposedly leaked magazine article interview with Nintendo's the President venting his thoughts over Microsoft's attempted buyout of Nintendo.

IIs that the one where the President of Nintendo told Steve Balmer to "Lick my tiny yellow balls?" cause that was funny!

:)

Jack

alrighty then...

I found some of these quotes extremely interesting:

"helped by games like Grand Theft Auto III--which Microsoft had passed on publishing before its creators took it to Sony."

I mean wow, just wow I cannot believe that Microsoft pulled an Atari right there but in a way I am not surprised since they never took the chance to secure True Crime SoLA as a exclusive either.

"In the late 1990s, Gates was in talks with Kutaragi to include the Windows operating system in the PS2."

To me this what eventually happened with SEGA's Dreamcast hosting the WinCE compatability that ultimetly opened a door for pirates to boot pirated discs without a mod chip, in hindsight Sega should have skipped on that deal as well but thats just my opinion.

However I am sorry to have to say this but as good as the article is it leaves out important stuff when it came time to SEGA's failiure by claiming it was all Sony hype/marketing that did the job, its like the premature mention of a new console way back in 97 by Bernie Stolar, his poor treatment of 3rd parties including Working Designs as well as the fact that the Dreamcast launched in late 1998 in Japan with a very small list of games including a poor port of Virtua Fighter 3 and their heavy reliance on the internet and online games during launch period and how the US launch benefited from almost a year of game development and SoulCalibur.

Damn I could go on and then point out so many more flaws that caused Sega to lose focus like spreading resources too thin instead of making games but I gotta stop unless someone has a thread that can cover such a subject.

Please continue. I'm listening and want to know the reasons for the fact that I didn't know what the Dreamcast was back in 2003 when all of my friends had PlayStations.

I mean that I would like to hear your take on Sega's failure with the Dreamcast.

I only have the knowledge I gathered from various sources; as I said at the time I wasn't interested in the "console business" and scary enough, neither me nor my friends knew of the Dreamcast around 2003. I actually played it only once and that was when I found out about the console the first time, like, in 2004 or something at a friends house. SEGA wasn't too big in Germany at the time...I mean I didn't even know what the heck Shenmue was. :)

Back