Power outages in Ohio

Well you could always invest in burying the electric lines (though then if they break they are even more expensive to fix) or you could cut down the trees near them so they don't get knocked out in a wind storm, but people tend to object to cutting down all the trees too :).

Fire ants sometimes chew through insulation on buried powerlines. You don't want to use underground lines for AC transmission over long distances because of the added inductance and capacitance.

Fire ants sometimes chew through insulation on buried powerlines. You don't want to use underground lines for AC transmission over long distances because of the added inductance and capacitance.

I did not think it was fire ants. I think it is a different type. Anyway FPL already did this so obviously it isn't too terribly difficult.

I did not think it was fire ants. I think it is a different type. Anyway FPL already did this so obviously it isn't too terribly difficult.
I can vouch that fire ants like to eat electrical stuff. The bastards have already eaten two of my septic control assemblies. "NOM NOM NOM" "BZZZZT", and then the red light goes on and my bank account drains by $500 for repairs.

Either a short distance or direct current.
I do not believe that is true, but it is more expensive that is sure.

FPL transmission lines – that is, those large power lines that move power over long distances like an interstate highway from power plants to our neighborhoods – are rarely ever placed underground due to their complexity and considerably higher costs, as well as security and reliability considerations. The cost of placing these lines underground can be five to fifteen times more costly than an overhead transmission line.

@Russ remember I lived in CS for some time as well. I was basing my assesment on the problems I had with sugar ants. They were nuts for electric stuff. In addition I was thinking of the rasberry ant

http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/exotic_tx.cfm

Anyway you may well be right about fire ants as well, I just hadn't noticed that problem myself.

If you are though then drat that is a fearsome threesome of different ants all hell bent on ruining everything.

I do not believe that is true, but it is more expensive that is sure.

The dielectric constant of water is about 80 times that of air and the rest of soil components are several times that of air; that increases the capacitance of the transmission lines.

Capacitance and inductance shift the phase angle between current and voltage in different directions and can be made to cancel(power factor correction).

Capacitance is problematic for AC because some of the current you put into your power-line goes to charge the "capacitor" instead of reaching your customers. This reactive power component is not capable of performing work; it simply oscillates back and forth between the power company and the transmission lines, reducing the amount of real power you're able to transmit.

The longer the power lines become, the more difficult it becomes to stabilize the voltage and do power factor correction. At sufficient distances it becomes easier and cheaper to use DC, even with the cost of inverters. For the 40 km undersea cable between Britain and France AC wasn't even considered.

I was out of power for about 36 hours, but the fridge and freezer held cold and all was good.

Back