GeForce FX & UT2003: "Performance" Texturing A

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
The following image is from a 5900 Ultra in UT2003:

ut2003_5900_qual.jpg

The control panel settings were set at "Quality" mode, which should be NVIDIA's full Trilinear mode, however the floor does not appear to be fully trilinear filtered at all. Oddly, though, there are parts that do appear to have more progressive mip-map transitions such as the gun and parts of the coridor.

Last edited by a moderator:
in the console type firstcoloredmip 1 and you need patch 2225 or greater

thank dave for the info

well, i test it with radeon9800 pro, look what is happen :p

driver 7.90, quality AF 8x first :

UT2003-9800pro-256mb-7.90-quality-af8x-colorz.JPG

then performance AF8X :
UT2003-9800pro-256mb-7.90-performance-af8x-colorz.JPG

woo,the 9800's quality mode almost = performance mode in ut2003.

I just tried it on an NV25, with Det44.03 in 'quality' mode, and there was no blending whatsoever, on the weapon, or in the map itself. what exactly is the quality setting doing for Ti cards?

And before anyone can derive any conclusions from just the 5900 shot Dave provided, here are two more :

Both images are with Trilinear selected in-game, with first mipmap level colored.

NV31 with 44.03 drivers using "Quality" Image Settings with No AA nor AF

nv31_4403.jpg

R300 with 7.90 drivers using "Custom" Image Settings ("High Quality" Texture Preference and Mipmap Detail Level, with No AA nor AF

r300_790.jpg

Very different images, huh? There are plenty of differences. For one, note the numbers on the hud (none on the NV31 shot). The R300 mipmap levels appear more "gradual" than the NV31's.

I'll ask Tim Sweeney since he would probably provide the most definitive answer.

[edit]mixed up which shot was more "gradual"

You can phutz around with the Detail and default textures LOD to effectively remove one from the other. This is the 5900 with high detail LOD (so we are only really mip-mapping the default textures):

5900_default.jpg

This is with high default LOD (so we are looking at the detail textures):

5900_detail.jpg

There looks like there is less filtering on the detail textures then the default textures.

Here's one of the 9800 looking at the detail textures:

9800_detail.jpg

I'll do one with default when I get home tonight (unless anyone else wants to try it in the meantime).

firstcoloredmip 1

Thanks for that info! Now I can quit doing hallucinogenics and start play UT2003!

I've tried this out with RivaTuner and the "AntiDetect" script on the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra.

This is the image mipmap quality before using AntiDetect (Quality settings):
Image4.jpg

This is the image mipmap quality with AntiDetect:
Image3.jpg

I've done one quick benchmark run at 1600x1200 no AA/AF:

Code:
       Normal Anti
Flyby  145.0  93.6
Bot    69.22  63.69

There is a large disparity in performance with Antidetect in use, and an the mipmap transition do appear to be more like Trilinear, however we don't know what other things AntiDetect disables here (however, there were no other visual rendering errors, quite the opposite!)

DaveBaumann said:
I've tried this out with RivaTuner and the "AntiDetect" script.

This is the image mipmap quality before using AntiDetect (Quality settings):

I've done one quick benchmark run at 1600x1200 no AA/AF:

Code:
       Normal Anti
Flyby  145.0  93.6
Bot    69.22  63.69

There is a large disparity in performance with Antidetect in use, and an the mipmap transition do appear to be more like Trilinear, however we don't know what other things AntiDetect disables here (however, there were no other visual rendering errors, quite the opposite!)

would it be possible to post the regular images w/o mipmaps ? so we can see the comparative images ?

also.. in game you are saying there are no visual differences with and without the antidetect ?

Back