MGS4 3D engine post mortem [translation needed]

MGS4 doesn't regularly have FMVs. I recall the one obvious example, the huge battle. And that's done with in-game assets, it's actually more likely to be a realtime captured video from a powerful PC that is just played back. So it's not really pre-rendered like the FMV in Uncharted or FF. That's why you don't notice a glaring difference. I also hate the use of FMV in gameplay heavy games. It's fine in Final Fantasy or other JRPGs because they rely a lot on story and emotion, but I hate it in shooters.

Also, the one thing that Uncharted has over MGS4 are the textures, which are MGS4's weakpoints - while MGS4 clearly has the edge in character polish and sharpness. Uncharted always looks a bit blurry, although that may be their desired stylistic approach.

I'm pretty sure the uncharted cutscenes are all captured from the real time engine, and only captured at all to load level assets in the background.

I'm pretty sure the uncharted cutscenes are all captured from the real time engine, and only captured at all to load level assets in the background.

It looks tangibly different to me. I would have gladly taken a few level loads in exchange for real time cut scenes.

Also, although you do have the ability to skip the FMV cut scenes, when you do, the game loads with only about half the textures loaded yet and it looks really poor for several seconds. It really takes me out of the experience when you see the cracks in the game like that.

Another game that did real time cut scenes and kept the transitions to the playable game really smooth was DMC4. I was impressed with what Capcom did there too.

Sometimes I think we are more disappointed in the RSX than Sony or game developers are.

You'd just expect a machine with such a CPU and XDR memory to run something like an 8800 prototype.

Sometimes I think we are more disappointed in the RSX than Sony or game developers are.

You'd just expect a machine with such a CPU and XDR memory to run something like an 8800 prototype.

Personally, I was surprised to find out that Heavenly Sword and R&C was only RSX after all the bad talk about RSX.

Even then, while Heavenly Sword looks pretty good due to native 720p and decent AA, it's nowhere near what you'd expect from the monster machine of this generation. We should be seeing Crysis and Clear Sky level of detail with some subtractions on a regular basis, if Sony had gone with something along the lines of a G80-512MB-256bit-prototype. For SM4.0 and better HDR+AA alone.

When you can see how much talented devs can pull out of a castrated 7800GTX to make a game like R&C, KZ2 or HS, don't you wonder what they could have gotten out of the twice to thrice as powerful 88-chips?

When you can see how much talented devs can pull out of a castrated 7800GTX to make a game like R&C, KZ2 or HS, don't you wonder what they could have gotten out of the twice to thrice as powerful 88-chips?

And how many people would be able to afford to buy such a console? Or is it expected that Sony should have had an even bigger loss on the hardware?

And how many people would be able to afford to buy such a console? Or is it expected that Sony should have had an even bigger loss on the hardware?

I don't know. All I know is that I would have bought it just like I bought a PS3 this gen, a PS2 last gen and a PS1 the gen before. I do not care about the price tag on Sony's consoles because I know I'm not buying cheaply manufactured or low budget components. It's like investing in a motherboard from Gigabyte or EVGA instead of budget crap like MSI and ASRock.

It's just what I would have liked to see in the PS3, not what is realistic. I just really want to see what you could get out of an 8800-9800 chip when you dedicatedly develop and use the resources effectively for it. Crysis did a pretty amazing job but they can't be as good as they have to consider scalability and compatibility. You'd need a team like Guerilla to take on a console with that kind of graphics card and then your mind would truly be blown away. Sadly, this won't happen till next gen.

It looks tangibly different to me. I would have gladly taken a few level loads in exchange for real time cut scenes.

Also, although you do have the ability to skip the FMV cut scenes, when you do, the game loads with only about half the textures loaded yet and it looks really poor for several seconds. It really takes me out of the experience when you see the cracks in the game like that.

Another game that did real time cut scenes and kept the transitions to the playable game really smooth was DMC4. I was impressed with what Capcom did there too.

agreed with everything you said.

DMC4 was another example of a gorgeous game without any kind of tearing or pop ups and running at a stuning 60 fps and 100% realtime cutscenes.

Talking about MGS4, do they mention anywhere about the Motion Capture tehniques they used, or at least something describing the procedure ? Back then, i thought MGS3 achieved perfection, but MGS4 really blew me away with even more clean and elaborated Mo Capped animations, not to mention scenes involving huge number of Mo Capped characters.

I know the Mission Debriefing scenes were captured in uncut sessions of 10 minutes which needed perfect acting from the actors. I'd like to know more.

edit: hope i am not off topic here with talk of animations guys.

The real question for me is:

Did Sony make Ps3 RSX+Cell because this combination was more powerful at graphics processing than a -more powefrul than RSX- gpu+generic cpu combination at that time with the same price range?

This thread is a mess. The topic is MGS4's engine yet the discussion is covering all and sundry topics other than that, including technically vapid points about which game looks better and what hardware should a console have had. It is in no form a model of good Technical Forum content.

Standards are slipping! If Vysez were to pop round now and inspect, his head would be hung in shame.

So from this point on, anyone not talking about the rendering or other game engine aspects in MGS4, and with no reference whatsoever to other titles except as specific technical feature comparisons ('looks better' does not count) will have their posts removed.

Chop : Off topic

Edit: Oh...Well...MGS4 does use the same character models for both gameplay and cutscenes, yes? In terms of poly count? Was this confirmed?

How come they look vastly superior in cutscenes then?

Chop : Off topic

Edit: Oh...Well...MGS4 does use the same character models for both gameplay and cutscenes, yes? In terms of poly count? Was this confirmed?

How come they look vastly superior in cutscenes then?

I think it says they change the mapping and the lighting in the cutscenes, and of course, the ultra advanced Mo Capped animations have a lot to do with vastly improving the overall look of the cutscene model(s).

Hi everyone, i am french but i know someone who is japanese... so i asked him to translate me a ppt (power point document).

Japanese original ppt : PPT About MGS 4 - TGS 2005 Trailer

2nd translation :
That second quote doesn't make sense in its separate form :???:

Right now I'm too busy to put a summary of the presentation (and other articles about CEDEC 2008) but reading through this thread in which Laa-Yosh declaring no HDR in MGS4 I've got an evil grin on my face ;)

Is there any connection between MGS 4 and Assasins Creed graphic engines? I'm asking becasue Ubisoft Montreal ans Assasins team are mentioned in MGS ending credits.
Both games have great presence. probably they share some technology,
BTW to me MGS 4 is the most beatiful game I've played so far....

Is there any connection between MGS 4 and Assasins Creed graphic engines? I'm asking becasue Ubisoft Montreal ans Assasins team are mentioned in MGS ending credits.

That's due to the MGS Assassin Creed spoof trailer. But that's off topic.

Back