ELSA hints GT206 and GT212

Gah, so basically GT230 and below = GT330 and below... Well, except that GT330 has a little bit more memory....

Woo, way to position your Fermi generation (if it indeed carries the 3xx nomenclature). Way to go out of your way to say that 3xx generation performance is exactly the same as 2xx performance...

/blarf...

Well at least Nvidia finally matched AMD with Dx10.1... After AMD released Dx11 based cards...

Even the whole blunder with Nv30 didn't leave Nvidia this far behind the competition technology wise.

Regards,
SB

Even the whole blunder with Nv30 didn't leave Nvidia this far behind the competition technology wise.

I was actually just thinking this earlier. I didn't see the NV30 series as entirely horrible (as I know some do); I had a friend with an FX5600 and he seemed to like the card -- and it performed well for what he wanted.

Still, the NV30 line was new technology, and NV was still on technology par at the time -- albeit, not performance par ;) And G80 was even early to the DX10 party, and to put icing on the cake, it ended up being one of NV's biggest defining performance parts. How long did that architecture allow them to sit in the #1 spot?

But now they're behind the technology curve; more so than likely any other point in their history. At least the NV30 was a product that they could produce and deliver -- they're not even done spinning the silicon if the rumors are to be believed. I don't think NV30 was the holocaust that everyone says, but I also believe that this is turning out worse than the NV30 debacle for a multitude of reasons.

Anyone else take that JHH's recent interview where he said something to the effect that (paraphrasing) "leaders don't use backup plans" to mean that they are already on their backup plan?

. At least the NV30 was a product that they could produce and deliver -- they're not even done spinning the silicon if the rumors are to be believed. I don't think NV30 was the holocaust that everyone says, but I also believe that this is turning out worse than the NV30 debacle for a multitude of reasons.

With NV30, rumor mills started churning what super duper kind of chip it was roughly from October 2002, first samples and early performance tests where to be had from January 2003 and the card hit the fan (or was it something other that hit it?) in february/march 2003.

Now it's +7.

CarstenS: First (truthful) rumours were published even earlier. I remember news about nVidia GPU, which will be the first one supporting super-fast next-gen DDR memory. It was sometimes during winter 2001/02 :)

Gah, so basically GT230 and below = GT330 and below... Well, except that GT330 has a little bit more memory....

Woo, way to position your Fermi generation (if it indeed carries the 3xx nomenclature). Way to go out of your way to say that 3xx generation performance is exactly the same as 2xx performance...

/blarf...

Well at least Nvidia finally matched AMD with Dx10.1... After AMD released Dx11 based cards...

Regards,
SB

That is _SO_ unfair! Nvidia is only matching ATI on DX10.1 in the lowest three tiers, G215, G216 and G218. The rest are DX10, after all, why do you need 10.1? Go back and check the quotes from NV execs if you aren't sure.

Also, NV launched DX10.1 cards several weeks before ATI launched DX11. They were out, as OEM only parts, in syphilitic trickle quantities, for such a large number of weeks that you could count it on one hand. That'll show those Canadian commies what real engineering is about!

-Charlie

Anyone else take that JHH's recent interview where he said something to the effect that (paraphrasing) "leaders don't use backup plans" to mean that they are already on their backup plan?
That's an interesting take on the quote.
I took it as the usual stockholder/analyst BS from JHH, similar to the "nothing is wrong" and "we are going to open a can of whoop(s)ass."

I think he was trying to communicate that they're fully committed to whatever strategy they choose. But that's a poor choice of words as it implies they're too narrow-minded to change course if things aren't working out.

I saw it as a way to deflect possible criticism. Their halo product was late, whole dx11 line was even more late, people might start asking why there was no "plan b" where they add dx 11 functions to existing chips (I have no idea how difficult that may or may not be, afterall, they did do enough work to add dx10.1) to avoid missing a significant MS launch. So he's saying "pfff, leaders don't do backup plans." Basically like Peewee Herman falling off his bike saying "I meant to do that."

I saw it as a way to deflect possible criticism. Their halo product was late, whole dx11 line was even more late, people might start asking why there was no "plan b" where they add dx 11 functions to existing chips (I have no idea how difficult that may or may not be, afterall, they did do enough work to add dx10.1) to avoid missing a significant MS launch. So he's saying "pfff, leaders don't do backup plans." Basically like Peewee Herman falling off his bike saying "I meant to do that."

He said "easy as (insert explicit noun here) in the same interview..

I’m not cynical about the market but If you give them the same thing over and over again, they’ll get tired. Look at iPod- there’s iPod fatigue. If you were to have an iPod, well, yeah- who doesn’t? If you have a Zune HD now, everybody wants to look at it- people need a new thing. It is possible to build a new thing. Thats the reason why we didn’t wanna take the GT200 and add DX11. Its possible. Its as easy as peach.

He's both lambasting his own renaming shenanigans and saying they could have a DX11 compliant GT200 (GT21x surely?) out in a matter of months.
Heck, according to him they could have DX11 out last year. Now I wonder why it took so many moons to get dx10.1 parts out. Surely, he's playing the readers for fools.

Code:
Dear reader,
In winter no DirectX11
have fun

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what constitutes 'Spring 2010' in that roadmap, and why divide it into 'Holiday 2009' and then 'Spring 2010' , what about the gap in between? Spring is generally March-April-May. (It doesn't actually align on the start and of the months, but I'm rounding it out.) If by mid-May Nvidia is still trying to push the GTX280 as their high end part, I'll be shocked.

Back