Google Chrome

Home PC SunSpider JavaScript Benchmarks

<snip>
Chrome wins
<snip>

Unsurprising that a Webkit browser beats the competition in a Webkit benchmark.

Using the slickspeed benchmark, which compares different toolsets, I get:

Chrome: 144/88/370/403/104 (total: 1109ms)
Opera9: 140/100/140/370/44 (total: 794ms)
FF 2 : 396/356/407/940/287 (total: 2386ms)
FF 3 : 139/150/253/365/105 (total: 1012ms)
IE 7 : 501/342/1986/1324/593 (total: 4746ms)

2GHz X2, 2GB ram

Still pretty damn good. The renderer is also very fast, especially with large complex pages.

Cheers

I get
96 62 290 294 78 (Chrome)
84 76 80 261 32 (Opera9)
115 119 222 285 84 (FF3)
444 315 1619 1047 504 (IE7)

Similar specs PC (laptop, with a tonne of software open)

There's some irony in Opera, being one of the least popular ones, winning almost all tests.

However, the tests Natoma posted match some of my experiences - my electronic banking application is miles faster than anything else. We're really talking a factor 2/3 times even over Opera. I'm thinking Chrome was optimised to run typical modern web-applications.

Unsurprising that a Webkit browser beats the competition in a Webkit benchmark.

Using the slickspeed benchmark, which compares different toolsets, I get:

Chrome: 144/88/370/403/104 (total: 1109ms)
Opera9: 140/100/140/370/44 (total: 794ms)
FF 2 : 396/356/407/940/287 (total: 2386ms)
FF 3 : 139/150/253/365/105 (total: 1012ms)
IE 7 : 501/342/1986/1324/593 (total: 4746ms)

2GHz X2, 2GB ram

Still pretty damn good. The renderer is also very fast, especially with large complex pages.

Cheers

How is it that Microsoft has browsers that are so completely awful? It doesn't make any sense to me. They're the biggest software company in the world, and one of the early entrants in the browser market. They get trounced in every single benchmark I've seen. And they don't just lost to one competitor, they lose to all of them, badly.

IE6 was reasonably fast, and has been around a long time. It's only since IE7 that they've really started to lag visibly behind the competition on the PC, I think. IE8 doesn't look like they'll catch up, so there's some good chance for the competition to pick up some market share. Let's hope for the best.

IE6 was reasonably fast, and has been around a long time. It's only since IE7 that they've really started to lag visibly behind the competition on the PC, I think. IE8 doesn't look like they'll catch up, so there's some good chance for the competition to pick up some market share. Let's hope for the best.

Huh? IE6 was the browser that was around far to long and the entire reason we have Firefox with so much market share. IE7 was what helped stop some of the bleeding.

Visual Studio is nice. Office is pretty nice. Microsoft does make some good software.

How is it that IE, which Microsoft fought so many legal battles over, has fallen to the wayside? Are they stretched thin or something?

Anyway, I'm using Chrome a fair bit, but I have some occasional problems with it. Every once in a while it becomes very unresponsive. My PC at home is old and it does not respond as well as firefox in general, though it does render pages quicker. At work (dual core), Chrome seems much much quicker, but it has the very rare hiccup where it seems to run slow as molasses.

How is it that Microsoft has browsers that are so completely awful? It doesn't make any sense to me. They're the biggest software company in the world, and one of the early entrants in the browser market. They get trounced in every single benchmark I've seen. And they don't just lost to one competitor, they lose to all of them, badly.

Maybe because it works? I think IE is good enough for the majority of people out there not to mention the fact other browsers back then didn't offer anything tangible over IE that a normal person cared for? I've been using IE for over 10 yrs now and I've never had any reason to use another browser due to superior performance and/or features. I'm only starting to expand my browser usage to Opera and Safari because they look better with skin customization and have certain features that I like. I still use IE though and probably always will. No one browser is best in every category and Chrome isn't going to be either.

There are better sedans out there than the Toyota Camry but the Camry still remains the best selling sedan...why?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Microsoft was just too lazy. Visual Studio is very important for Microsoft, because a good developing tool motivates good developers to develop for Windows, and that would guarantee the success of Windows as a platform. Furthermore, many inside Microsoft actually are using Visual Studio, so they have the motivation to improve it. Office is their cash cow, so they can't afford to let it loose.

On the other hand, what can they get from IE? IE is free, and was the most popular browser. Of course, it wasn't the most popular browser from start. However, the former most popular browser (Netscape) is very bad even compared to IE. Microsoft fought a very hard battle to get IE into the top position. Unfortunately, after Microsoft won, they got lazy and IE6 just stayed too long.

Then Netscape's rebirth as Firefox (which shares almost nothing with the original Netscape's code base) starts to eat market share back from Microsoft, they start to panic and release IE7, but it's already too late.

Now I use IE only when necessary. There are still some websites not compatible with Firefox, and some website still need ActiveX to work. Other than these websites, I use Firefox, since IE's security record is just too bad. It will take Microsoft a long time to clear that record.

eh I can't stand firefox adn I only use IE 7 and now IE 8.

Why? Firefox has many more features and really is just as quick in rendering these days. The interface can also be changed to be very similar to IE's if you so desire. So given the better plugin support, more built in features, and better track record of security and standards support I don't see the reason to ever use IE.

Why? Firefox has many more features and really is just as quick in rendering these days. The interface can also be changed to be very similar to IE's if you so desire. So given the better plugin support, more built in features, and better track record of security and standards support I don't see the reason to ever use IE.

IE 8 does everything I want. Why use somethig else ?

IE 8 does everything I want. Why use somethig else ?

IE is slow, broken, slow, broken, slow, broken, oh, and did I mention slow? :LOL:

IE is a turd compared to FF, Opera, Safari, and Chrome. The last time IE had an advantage was IE6 over Netscape 4. And that was what, 6-7 years ago?

Not to mention the fact that IE has a ridiculous amount of security problems. Now don't get me wrong, MS has definitely addressed a lot of problems with IE8, but they're still woefully behind.

IE is slow, broken, slow, broken, slow, broken, oh, and did I mention slow? :LOL:

IE is a turd compared to FF, Opera, Safari, and Chrome. The last time IE had an advantage was IE6 over Netscape 4. And that was what, 6-7 years ago?

Not to mention the fact that IE has a ridiculous amount of security problems. Now don't get me wrong, MS has definitely addressed a lot of problems with IE8, but they're still woefully behind.

I don't know . We both know I have ff installed on my pc. We were just using it to test your connection earlier. I don't notice any speed diffrence between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrome needs color profile support for those of us with monitors that support a higher color gradient than SRGB. In fact that's the only reason why I use FF over IE now. :cry:

I agree IE is shit and left it behind when firefox was at version 0.5
though, what a waste! IE5 had a small footprint, a clean UI and didn't have anything wrong besides security. And the ridiculous lack of tabs. never understood what IE6 brings, it looks the same as IE5 to me.

MS should have had abandoned ActiveX right away and made the focus shift on security years before the XP SP2 and IE7 times. And keep the only useful integration feature they had (turn an explorer.exe window into an IE window and vice-versa, using the same address bar), get rid of the rest.

I could have looked into Maxthon (3rd party IE extension) but I never could trust IE after the Big Explosion of Spyware and Crappy Toolbars it caused. It has made me avoid other MS software :) : I always avoid windows media player and official MSN clients, I even make sure to have Active Desktop disabled (if it's well disabled on a Windows system, you can only use .bmp files for the wallpaper)

I'm running Firefox 3 at home with Download helper, Download them all, auto form and ad block plus.

At work I'm using IE8. They're both quite good.

By default IE8 has more stuff built in. Compatibility mode works great as I've had no issues in any websites using it. The "true URL" feature is a nice security add on. I clicked on knows spam and it did a good job of highlighting what bad url.

With about 6+ tabs open, IE8 seems to be faster. The right click feature on IE8 is good but there's some critical stuff they need to add in that Firefox 3 has. Such as "copy image location" and built in spell check! The password save feature in Firefox 3 is very nice along with the download them all add on. IE8 certainly needs these.

It'll come down to what you want in the end. Firefox will be for those who want a customized browser with numerous add on's. IE8 for those who want a big feature set upfront.

Google Chrome just didn't click with me. I used it for a bit and then uninstalled it. It started off well and turned into a crash fest on 2 diff machines. I gave up after that.

Back