PS3 FW 2.5 rumoured to have screen grabbing built in

That's different because that takes resources away from the system while the game is running..

Considering the PS3 OS has 50ish mb of RAM reserved for OS operations, and an entire SPE core, playing back an MP3 should not be particularly challenging, the X360 has a much smaller memory footprint and a lot less reserved cpu power, and it can playback mp3's whenever you want to just fine.

This should not be a hard task at all.

Considering the PS3 OS has 50ish mb of RAM reserved for OS operations, and an entire SPE core, playing back an MP3 should not be particularly challenging, the X360 has a much smaller memory footprint and a lot less reserved cpu power, and it can playback mp3's whenever you want to just fine.

This should not be a hard task at all.

Doesn't that have more to do with Patents, and Microsoft having the patent for in game music via the operating system or something like that? I remember someone had dug it up. I thought that was the reason that the PS3 must have custom soundtracks be game specific, rather than embedded into the OS.

Yes. MS owns the patent for overriding a game's music soundtrack with a custom one from the OS point of view.

I'd still figured Sony would find a better way around this. Maybe not override/replace the music in the game, but hoax it, and turn its volume to 0, so that you only hear your music.

Heck just override the entire game's sound with my music, that's better than nothing.

IMO that's a really cool feature (if by cool you mean geeky :p).

I've had heaps of times when I've wanted to capture a moment in a game... though I would suspect this would negatively impact performance, especially if I'd be allowed to go back and capture a moment that just happened, say, 10 seconds ago.

Imagine being able to have a "photo album" of your gaming experience tied to your gamertag/PSN ID. And years later you could flip it open and see memories you'd forgotten about from games you loved and have since forgotten. I can think of many examples of when this would be really cool, and certainly it would add to "bragging rights"/buddy-push sales of games when you share them with your friends list.

I'll certainly give this a whirl. Will be nice to look back at those photos on my USB thumbstick on my PC several years down the road and get nostalgic. Hope this works for PS2 BC, would love to take lots of shots of Shadow of the Colossus.

I wonder how this will affect Beta testing over PSN though. There will be certain developers who don't want screenshots of their beta games taken. But then at the same time, you can stop somone from taking a digital camera shot off their TV screen either.

On the other hand, with screenshots coming directly off the framebuffer, the developers will be able to do stuff like hidden watermarks that will make tracking down and punishing people who break the NDA much more easier than it is currently.

I would be pleasantly surprised if this came about, but I'm not sure publishers would be too happy to see it bearing in mind the amount of shortcuts developers have used historically on their console code, PS3 in particular.

Additionally, publishers are very, very touchy indeed about the assets that are released to accompany a game. If the internet gets flooded with DIY screenshots in the launch period I can't see them being too happy about that.

One platform holder that I won't name did all they could to stop one particular website doing their own screenshots of titles in the launch period of their console.

Having just played Warhawk for a bit, I think I'd use this a lot when killing people on my friends list. Then I'd send them the picture. Yes, that's right. You heard me. :devilish:

Having just played Warhawk for a bit, I think I'd use this a lot when killing people on my friends list. Then I'd send them the picture. Yes, that's right. You heard me. :devilish:

But how will that work. Are you going to just start clicking the picture button over and over again while your firing at them till you get a hit or defeat them ? While your doing that , is the ps3 pausing or stuttering while saving the picture ? If so whats that going to do to online play ?

So many questions . I wonder how it will work , if they do add it , it will cause ms to try and one up them and in return sony will have to one up them , so perhaps my hope of a youtube for games happens

But how will that work. Are you going to just start clicking the picture button over and over again while your firing at them till you get a hit or defeat them ? While your doing that , is the ps3 pausing or stuttering while saving the picture ? If so whats that going to do to online play ?

So many questions . I wonder how it will work , if they do add it , it will cause ms to try and one up them and in return sony will have to one up them , so perhaps my hope of a youtube for games happens

I'm fairly relaxed about it. It's the concept and principle I'm taken with, not the mechanics. No point talking about the workings of it until we know more details.

And for clarification, I'd hit it once near the point of death (you can tell fairly easily in WH). I think that'd get the message across. After all, it's only meant to be a bit of fun.

I've got one in my laptop. Samsung released the first 9.5mm high notebook HDD (the Spinpoint M6 HM500LI), and it's astonishingly fast. I had trouble finding it in the UK though. I eventually bought this. I realised that only the M6 would fit inside that caddy, so swapped in my old laptop HDD into the enclosure and used the bare drive in my laptop.

Not exactly FW 2.5 related, but interesting all the same (500GB drive support). I wonder if there's some sort of soft or hard cap of supported drive sizes?

If you think about what size 3.5" drives people have managed to connect to the PS3, it is easy to see that the PS3 will probably be able to keep up with 2.5" size improvements for a few years.

Back