I finally got a Wii! And my first PS3 game to boot!

Lol, no I was growing up in the N64 era though :p SNES and NES were almost retro then...but we still played the hell out of Double Dragon and Street Fighter games.

But no new standalone games that is. Nothing like Nanostray on the DS?

Nah. I don't think there are any for the PS3 even in Japan. I mean, the 360 got a (tiny) handful of retail shmups in Japan, I think the PS3 has nothing. I'm not even sure if the Wii has anything new and interesting, not the way the DS does.

I can get that [Burnout Paradise] in the PSN store right?

Ugh, no. Just, no. No FPS on a controller.

I guess the Burnout Paradise demo is still available, I don't have a PS3 any more to check tho.

USB mouse/keyboard? Support is game dependant, maybe Unreal Tourny?

I'll give Wipeout HD a try when it comes out. Any demos for GT that I can give a try first before buying?

There used to be a free pre Prologue demo called GT HD, but I don't think that's available any more.

Btw, when is Little Big Planet due?

29 Oct, that's from Eurogamer, don't know if it's a world wide date or not.

But no new standalone games that is. Nothing like Nanostray on the DS?

Everyday Shooter (PSN game)? (More like Geometry Wars)

I've been looking at photos for Pixel Junk Eden, but I honestly still can't tell what kind of game this is. :LOL:
Eden's a trippy-hippy-fest platformer, but I was recommending PixelJunk Monsters, a tower defense game.

As for the MGS series, I've never played any of the games. Never been big on the stealth genre.
I imagine given FPS comments you'd hate the MGS4 control scheme. And how do you feel about watching 45+ minutes of cutscene, followed by another 15 minutes of cutscene? I wouldn't recommend it without trying someone else version. I think opinions on this game end up highly polarized.

Btw, when is Little Big Planet due?
October the 29th.

I suggest buying Castlevania: Symphony of The Night off of PSN. it's got pretty bad voice acting, but there's really not much of it.

It's an action RPG styled after the Metroid series.

I suggest buying Castlevania: Symphony of The Night off of PSN. it's got pretty bad voice acting, but there's really not much of it.

It's an action RPG styled after the Metroid series.

It's a pure PS1 game with no upgrades, so you may have played it already. It's still cool.

I've seen from the available selections that I'd probably play a few PS1 games from the PSN store. But I think overall I'm probably going to spend most of my time in the Wii Virtual Console store.

I have several classic titles on my PS3 that I've downloaded from the PSN store, including Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Mortal Kombat 2, Gauntlet 2, and Rampage: World Tour. All of these are PS1 games (Gauntlet of course originally coming from the NES, not sure if it ever appeared on PS1).

I'm a big racing fan, but I don't like floaty controls at all. How do the games you've mentioned control?

GT5P has very sim-like and precise controls. It tries to be a simulator first and a game second. The other two are definitely games first, and make no apirations to be simulators, although Grid at least offers a variety of racing styles (DIRT is just pure off-road, albeit with a decent selection of vehicle types).

Hmm, I can't really play FPS without a keyboard and mouse. hehe. Any attachments for the PS3 for these kinds of games?

Some PS3 FPSes support keyboard and mouse (UT3, for one).

We have Soul Calibur IV, so I doubt we'll get another fighting game. Soul Calibur is the only series my husband likes playing. :)

Ratchet and Clank I'm going to give a try in the PSN store.

Uncharted, tried it but didn't like the control scheme or demo much at all.

RFOM?

Heavenly Sword is a great action game - but very short and no replay. Get it on sale.

Ratchet is quite good, but I'm not big on platform-shooters. It was my son's favorite game until he bought (own money) Super Smash Bros Brawl. He loves that one. He liked Ratchet better than Mario Galaxy but the replay value is much higher on Galaxy.

Uncharted - I got used to the controls, but just never got fully into it (I was about 2 hours in when I moved on). I'll go back to it eventually though I don't often like 3rd person games (Gears being a notable exception).

I forgot to mention Warhawk. I actually bought RFOM (Resistance Fall of Man) to improve my controller skills. I was like you - no FPS on a controller ever - KB/Mouse only. Anyway, I wanted to play Warhawk, which is a GREAT game - but I sucked so bad owing to no controller skills (hadn't owned a console for nearly a decade). Turns out I got really into RFOM - great story and I got used to the FPS controls - in some ways more fun than KB mouse because it's not the twitch-fest we're used to. Anyway, Warhawk now sucks because there are people online who are just too damn good.

You can play UT with kb/mouse on ps3, but that's another game I haven't really loaded yet.

I left out GTAIV. Great game again. Can't believe I forgot that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, Warhawk now sucks because there are people online who are just too damn good.

There's a lot of these people out there. Y'know, you should all do something about it. Like a newbie server or something. And get Natoma to join in too!

It really is a great game - and is my first real experience of online multiplayer. In fact I think it's the PS3 online experience. For that alone I think every PS3 owner should try it.

Also, HSG is worth a look. It's a very pleasant experience.

Close, yet not quite... ;)

38708689rl0.jpg

I'd love to hear your impressions of Zack and Wiki. I nearly picked up a Wii just for that one alone.

I've been playing Zack and Wiki so far as the main game. I thought I'd have gotten into Galaxy, but Zack and Wiki just drew me in.

It is F-U-N! And hard!

Get this game. It's honestly one of the best puzzlers I've ever played.

On the hardest mode, Fire Emblem is also very hard. The maps are almost puzzle like and your strategic skills will be tested to the limits.

Ok I just finished up another two puzzles since my last post. One thing that I really like about this game is that it's really hard, but it doesn't feel cheap even if you lose because you forget something. I dunno what it is, but you just laugh and start it up all over again.

Such a great game.

As for Fire Emblem, is that a full fledged Wii game, or is it a VC game?

Fire Emblem is a full fledged game. It's a strategy RPG developed by Nintendo. The series is actually what spawned the strategy rpg genre. Keep in mind this game focuses more on strategy than rpg, though. It's not like FFT or other games where you just level up and kill. It's actually one of those unheard of epic games by Nintendo, with full on voice acting and CG rendered cut scenes. The actual graphics themselves aren't too hot since they're by Intelligent System. Think Advance Wars with RPG elements.

I might rent Zach and Wiki. After Braid, I'm down for some puzzle games for sure. I still have no idea how any platformer has a chance against SMG though.

Didnt read the thread, but you should also get RE4 if you hanvt played that yet and no more heroes ofcourse. Its not the best game out there but this is one of those games that has the right idea and just needed more time and/or money to make it what it should be so for that alone one should buy it so grasshopper does get that $$$ next time. And for what you do get its still pretty fun at times. Its mostly the open world stuff that is to boring and some bosses are stupidly easy, even towards the end (just beat the 3rd one after not playing the game for months and it didnt took any effort, while others are much harder).

I might rent Zach and Wiki. After Braid, I'm down for some puzzle games for sure. I still have no idea how any platformer has a chance against SMG though.
Unfortunately it looks like from here on out, we're only going to get a handful of "full-strength" quality platformers per generation (for the non-handhelds, I mean), and anything else will come through XBLA/PSN/WiiWare. While Sunshine was good, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac delivered a metric ton of great titles, and unfortunately we've only had Ratchet show his head again, and haven't even seen NEWS of Jak or Sly. Last gen also had plenty of nice efforts from other parties, but we haven't seen anyone really even trying this gen; and in the wake of commercial failure of even great games like Psychonauts, and the cost of producing games for the 360 and PS3...?

We'll probably see some uninspired titles filter into the Wii/PS2 domain still and the movie/TV-licensed titles will always show up (and pretty much always suck), but it seems depressingly likely that the only major efforts will come from developers who already know what they're doing, and have series with a proven track-record or built-in audience. And that even they won't be concentrating on them as much as they have in the past.

The downloadable titles will be able to deliver some good experience, but in much smaller chunks. Games like LittleBigPlanet will be moving in their own direction. It's pretty safe to say that the "platformer" won't be coming around so much anymore.

Back