FUEL

Malibu

Regular
This is a new racing game being published by Codemasters.

Eurogamer

Codemasters has unveiled FUEL, a brand new openworld racing game promising the "largest racing environment to appear in gaming - ever".

Developed by French outfit Asobo Studios, the game's due out on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in 2009.

Set in an "alternate present" where the world's been wrecked by the effects of climate change, FUEL claims a 5,000 square-mile playing area with "no boundaries" and 16-player racing.

Players race in "grungy home-tuned vehicles" across the "tsunami-wrecked pacific coast through the Nevada wastelands, including the Grand Canyon, up treacherous snow-capped mountains, thick forests, arid deserts, abandoned lakeside resorts and much more".

Along the way racers will encounter tornados, sandstorms, thunderstorms, lightning strikes and blizzards thanks to a dynamic weather system, and experience a full day-and-night cycle.

[gt]38526[/gt]

oh my... love the environments and if it is an open world? :oops:

The varied lighting and weather look great. I hope it's dynamic.

I understand their obsession with four letter names, but isn't there a racer already with that exact four letters?

Looks like Motorstorm in terms of models and terrain detail. But the dynamic weather and sandbox arena make it sound like it could more fun!

Looks like Motorstorm in terms of models and terrain detail. But the dynamic weather and sandbox arena make it sound like it could more fun!

More fun than Pacific Rift would be a very, very good game indeed.

All we know so far is that they are talking about a lot of features which look good on the back of the box. How this talk of tornados and the "largest racing environment to appear in gaming - ever" will translate into an actual game is still up in the air, for me.

I don't see the point of a world on this scale unless you're doing Dakar races, and that would be interminably boring for a videogame (Baja, anyone?). I can't think of a need for anything more open than Paradise City, where each race came down to two or three realistic route options at maximum, between defined start and end points (and occasionally checkpoints).

I hope they prove me wrong and this isn't a collection of PR bullet-points hiding a second-rate gaming experience.

Is this the game that used to be "Grand Raid Off-road"?

It sounds like "Grand Raid Pacific Rift". It might be a good idea, I'm getting tired of all the street racers, Motorstorm is the only thing that holds my attention besides Burnout. DiRT 2 sounds good as well (I skipped DiRT 1).

We also need a racer with weapons :p

It looks okay, but I'm skeptical of the "open world" stuff they're talking up. I can only judge it when I play it :)

very cool video with a dev on XBL (OXM special) showing some game play and discussiion. evidently it is a new french method of streaming open world terrain according to dev, not yet used in any game and different and more effective than any yet used. dust and rain storms etc will happen at random along with 72 racing circuits of every type of race/racer and environment allwoing complete freedom to traverse the world.

Wow, that looks like fun! I may have to pick this one up! Made by codemasters too so should be very high quality.

yes, to me this looks like quite a stand out racer. (it's not a driving game ;)) I look forward to it greatly.

Including custom DL map/racers is a nice touch also. those weather effects and the incredible atmosphere and particle effects and wide open nature make me take notice for sure.

4 PS3 gameplay vids (only you tube quality)

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ugZ_wsQ0Vk&feature=channel
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNzIno8D8DM&feature=related
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVa3Y_dSbIA&feature=channel
4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vomwfI-PU0

Looks like only two views (no cockpit or hood cam :cry:) but the weather and terrain look amazing. Allegedly 2.5 hours to cross the entire size of the world in a fast car. :smile:

Releasing in May

Wow, there's a tornado flying around in that first level!

Quite amazing graphics for such a niche unhyped game. Seems on par with Motorstorm series.

Back