Free Realms (PS3, PC)

Dunno. Graphics look somewhat spare and the world empty. Then again that could be normal for MMOs, dunno, don't play them so much yet. ;)

graphics look bad,even for a mmo.

game as a whole looks outdated, and im not sure if i like the whole super noob friendly world without any combat.

I like that you have all classes in one thingy.

Graphics looked akin to the WOW demo I played. The game concept is positioned as a kids title, so isn't really comparable to other MMO's. I don't know if it'll work or not, but the idea seems sound. And as a freebie anyone can give it a go and see if they like it!

Graphics looked akin to the WOW demo I played. The game concept is positioned as a kids title, so isn't really comparable to other MMO's. I don't know if it'll work or not, but the idea seems sound. And as a freebie anyone can give it a go and see if they like it!

It's supposed to have weak, (but artistically-attractive) graphics. WoW never was a graphics powerhouse, Blizzard knows too well that there's no point in making a game only people with top-of-the-line computers can play. And SOE seems to have picked up on that -- if you want more advanced graphics, you're probably not their target demographic, and you can go play The Agency or DC Universe.

And remember that not only are they specifically not going for the AoC crowd, they're likely not even going necessarily after the WoW crowd (though they obviously are, in part). Places like Runescape and Habbo Hotel are much bigger, richer targets.

Also, being that combat is only 1/4 of the game, supposedly, and from the list of events and activities, I'd bet that they're not just targeting kids, but rather that they're trying to bring in young women. Which, if they can do without being patronizing, would be a feat in of itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
graphics look bad,even for a mmo.

game as a whole looks outdated, and im not sure if i like the whole super noob friendly world without any combat.

I am not too impressed by what I see too. Not sure I want my kid to play a MMO too. There are a lot of downsides. What's the upside ?

Some research has shown positive social-skill development in social-gamers. Whether it's actually meaningful (research sponsored by Blizzard perhaps? :p) or worthwhile, I dunno, but in this age of paranoia I imagine a lot of parents will prefer their kids learning how to make friends over a safe distance of hundreds of miles rather than meeting psychotic strangers or drug-pedlars. Of which there's a dozen round every corner. Including no doubt you, me, and everyone we know.

Online communities are great for experimenting with personalities. But real-life contact and interaction are the real test of one's social skills. The body language speaks 90+% of our intention.

It has to be more than just social interaction to cover a bigger crowd (Unless they want to position FreeRealm as a non-game like Playstation Home). I hope they show more for FreeRealms. It's probably targeting the teens, who are more critical than me in many ways.

I am not too impressed by what I see too. Not sure I want my kid to play a MMO too. There are a lot of downsides. What's the upside ?

MMO's are far to adictive for kids. I know alot of kids (from when i was young) that wheren't doing to good socially, drifted away to the MMO world and became hooked. Once your hooked you will want to play for every spare minute you have, the mmo world becomes more important than the real world. Which leads to cutting class etc etc.

People killing other people (even their own children) over mmogames is not uncommon, there is a reason for that.

If it was up to me, no kid under 16 would be allowed to play MMO's.

Look at the #s for Runescape, Maple Story, Habbo Hotel, Club Penguin (Disney bought it for $700 MILLION). The market for kids is far larger than you might expect.

Isn't Animal Crossin a sort of MMO? (though not massive, but it's due to hardware limitation of portables or Wii)

Free Realms is free of charge in its minimal form, and investment in it is basically microtransaction. So most parents don't have to pay a typical full price for a game. It's certainly better than giving an FPS to your kid.

No doubt the online kid's market is there, but I have also seen many services come and go. I just don't know what's special about the Free Realms yet. What sets Free Realm apart from those examples Ty highlighted ?

Isn't Animal Crossin a sort of MMO? (though not massive, but it's due to hardware limitation of portables or Wii)

It's not online and certainly not persistent nor massive (as you mention).

No doubt the online kid's market is there, but I have also seen many services come and go. I just don't know what's special about the Free Realms yet. What sets Free Realm apart from those examples Ty highlighted ?

Hmm, you need to spend 5 minutes with those other games to see what they offer first. Try Club Penguin and let us know what you think.

Argh, Club Penguin is horrible (I can't even see my own penguin among the clutter). Can't believe people are paying for this. I'd rather let my kid hang out in nickjr.com with all the free mini-games.

Disney has a unique strength here because of its characters and well-established family brand. As I understand, teens flock to different MMOs as new ones are announced. Loyalty is not a virtue here.

WoW was pretty much the only one I know that could retain its users over a long time. Habbo Hotel is much more cleaner and elegant when I tried it years ago (The Habbo Hotel organizers are pretty good at event organizing and community management). Cyworld relies on user-generated content. Sims Online also has strong brand and existing fan base.

Does Free Realm intend to focus on family mini-games and a more elegant and open ended UI ?

Does Free Realm intend to focus on family mini-games and a more elegant and open ended UI ?

I think they're trying to pull what WoW pulled on EQ: layer on an impressive amount of polish while keeping similar fundamentals. FR has far better graphics than similar extra-casual offerings. It also may have more robust gameplay.

Argh, Club Penguin is horrible (I can't even see my own penguin among the clutter). Can't believe people are paying for this. I'd rather let my kid hang out in nickjr.com with all the free mini-games.

Now ask yourself, is that worth $700 million?

Disney has a unique strength here because of its characters and well-established family brand. As I understand, teens flock to different MMOs as new ones are announced. Loyalty is not a virtue here.

Club Penguins growth came initially after being pushed by a British website, forgot their name.

No clue about the shifting loyalties of teens. Where did you get that information, I'd like to read up on it as well.

I think they're trying to pull what WoW pulled on EQ: layer on an impressive amount of polish while keeping similar fundamentals. FR has far better graphics than similar extra-casual offerings. It also may have more robust gameplay.

I certainly hope it has more robust gameplay!

My sister used to play club penguin a lot. So does my little cousin. They didnt pay anything for the extra content though. They enjoyed the free stuff

She now spends a lot with puzzle pirates

Now ask yourself, is that worth $700 million?

For Club Penguin ? No. :)

Club Penguins growth came initially after being pushed by a British website, forgot their name.

No clue about the shifting loyalties of teens. Where did you get that information, I'd like to read up on it as well.

There are reports on MMO market for the past few years. A few industry folks I spoke to (or presenting in conferences) hold similar view. It's a little like consumer behavior towards night clubs. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the report I read. It was given to me by a friend who's trying to sell hardware to the MMO operators :)

I'm rather skeptical of Club Penguin's hype and growth number (e.g., What do they mean by "user" ? How many left ?). A blob of Penguins occupied the same overlapped space when I joined. It seems that many people left their Penguins in the same starting location. I would have done so if I hadn't noticed my Penguin wiggling its way out of the mess.

I certainly hope it has more robust gameplay!

Free Realm will need to figure out its own user retention strategy. I still have no idea what Free Realm is about yet. Would be interesting to see how they evolve.

Back