[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

I wrote my first impressions of the game a few pages back, here is a link to my final review: http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-alan-wake.html

Hope it's ok I link my personal blog here. Let me know if its annoying or not allowed and I'll happily remove it.

a snipet:
Nighttime is when you really get a sense that this game becomes what it should—creepy. As darkness encroaches, when the fog begin to roll in, as the wind howls through the dancing tress it’ll hit you--the forest just might be alive and coming for you. The stage is set for the real star of the game to make an appearance--the lighting system. The lighting in Alan Wake is absolutely stunning and is comparable to the water in Bioshock. That is to say--it's a character in the game.

I wrote my first impressions of the game a few pages back, here is a link to my final review: http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2010/05/review-alan-wake.html

Hope it's ok I link my personal blog here. Let me know if its annoying or not allowed and I'll happily remove it.

a snipet:

Good and very balanced/fair impressions!
I mostly agree with what you say here - although to be honest, the cutscenes quality did not borther me as much as they did you, so no problem for me here!
With respect to gameplay, I think it is a good starting point for AW2, if the improve like for instance Bioware from ME1 to ME2 - I think that the gameplay could turn easily into a major plus!
But what I really wish for AW2 is
Some more dramatic/epic scenes, like for instance some crazy boss battles or something like this - would be a great way to break the "monotone" standard gameplay. In a way, the driving scenes helped a little bit. What I liked the most and that is the reason why I would rank gameplay/gamedesign still rather high: playing with backup (the sheriff and your buddy) was super cool!

I love that movie. My copy should be here by the weekend and I'm looking forward to it.
Yeah, my thoughts are Remedy got inspired from that movie at least regarding to some scenery and characters. The game is really grabbing me now and it's like one of those games that you wanna finish it in one go.

Alan Wake is one of the few games like Mass Effect 1/2 and Uncharted 1/2 where the wife drops the "DONT play this without me here!"

Yeah, I'm going back to this one tonight. I'm quickly realizing how much time I could sink into red dead redemption and not get back to my other games. Better to finish Alan Wake now, so I don't play it in too many pieces.

Anyone seen Stephen King's "Secret Window" with Johnny Depp? I'm surprised how much resemblance it bears to the game.
OK film 5/10, started off quite well but got progressively worse. The twist was very predictable
This is the xbox360 game Ild like to play most though, has there been any news of a PC port?

Quick stop by since I dont wanna spoiler myself...I am hella addicted to this game!

I think the visuals are spectacular too, while no doubt on the soft side. As a whole I think 360 now has a showcase up there with the big 3 on PS3 (UC2, KZ2, GoW3).

I did notice a spot with a lot of slowdown at one point, that spot where you fight off waves of enemies with the kidnapper. Also I noticed one really bad instance of a shadow gone horribly flickery related to a flare.

Overall though the game just oozes triple A quality from remedy. I'm a good deal into Episode 2 (of 6) right now, so we'll see what I think by the end.

The game sure has a "hard to put down" quality, the way it's structured. I'm not actually the biggest gamer in the world (I actually like the technical and business aspects sometimes more than the actual hobby :p) but I could see myself playing this for hours straight.

It's a shame all the metrics (dabbles from yes, vgchartz, and it's Amazon sales ranking, which has been below Splinter Cell Conviction at every point related to release date) point to a game with a mediocre sales opening. I dont guess there's much of a thing as "legs" at all among hardcore games, but I think if any game should have them it should be this one, as hopefully more experience just how quality it is.

Love the game so far... Only about an hour or so into it and I'm very impressed with the entire package here.

I started playing this last night and was struck by a couple of things.

Firstly, the story implementation is pretty awful IMO. Ugh. I'm not a huge horror fan but a lot of the devices seem corny and derivative. Understandable to a point but still...

Secondly, how long was this sucker in development for? I'll be totally honest: it's the reason I picked up my 360! I really can't see where the (seemingly) "extra" time was spent.

Next, I don't care about resolutions. It's a very attractive game both day and night.

Finally... despite all the above I can't stop playing it! Was up til about 3am last night and I have a tennis lesson this morning... so tired. :(

I started playing this last night and was struck by a couple of things.

Firstly, the story implementation is pretty awful IMO. Ugh. I'm not a huge horror fan but a lot of the devices seem corny and derivative. Understandable to a point but still...

Secondly, how long was this sucker in development for? I'll be totally honest: it's the reason I picked up my 360! I really can't see where the (seemingly) "extra" time was spent.

Next, I don't care about resolutions. It's a very attractive game both day and night.

Finally... despite all the above I can't stop playing it! Was up til about 3am last night and I have a tennis lesson this morning... so tired. :(

Huh?!?!? This was my absolute favorite part of the game and I even think that story telling is outstanding:
the different episodes, the songs in-between epsiodes, the retrospects and the manuscript pages you can find!

Totally love everything about the game ... the story ,atmosphere , graphics . An all around great game.
(The CE is pretty tight , worth the extra money).

Huh?!?!? This was my absolute favorite part of the game and I even think that story telling is outstanding:
the different episodes, the songs in-between epsiodes, the retrospects and the manuscript pages you can find!

I knew I'd be in the minority!

The stuff you listed is all kind of peripheral to the actual story IMO. I'll avoid anymore lest I venture into spoiler territory.

As I said I'm not a huge horror fan so I might be off base. But what I will say is that a great/good story can be spoilt by poor execution (duh); I guess I'm thinking of the, again IMO, below par VA. Perhaps a slower build up to those initial striking events would've helped my perception.

Of course it's a totally personal opinion and I do really like it. It's certainly got some draw. I've just got back from tennis drenched and am thinking about my next play session.

Final caveat: I'm only a couple of chapters in! And, if anyone has the LE/CE, is the accompanying book worth a looksy?

Cheers.

I knew I'd be in the minority!

The stuff you listed is all kind of peripheral to the actual story IMO. I'll avoid anymore lest I venture into spoiler territory.

As I said I'm not a huge horror fan so I might be off base. But what I will say is that a great/good story can be spoilt by poor execution (duh); I guess I'm thinking of the, again IMO, below par VA. Perhaps a slower build up to those initial striking events would've helped my perception.

Of course it's a totally personal opinion and I do really like it. It's certainly got some draw. I've just got back from tennis drenched and am thinking about my next play session.

Final caveat: I'm only a couple of chapters in! And, if anyone has the LE/CE, is the accompanying book worth a looksy?

Cheers.

I am not a horror fan myself, especially in my games...that is why I tried to search as much manuscript pages as possible ;)

But it seems that a lot of people get destracted by the voice acting...maybe, after playing Heavy Rain, I am hardened and now untouchable :mrgreen:

I am not a horror fan myself, especially in my games...that is why I tried to search as much manuscript pages as possible ;)

But it seems that a lot of people get destracted by the voice acting...maybe, after playing Heavy Rain, I am hardened and now untouchable :mrgreen:

Heh, I'm a real lazy gamer. Searching for the manuscripts but haven't read them!

I played HR too and, bizarrely, it didn't bother me as much then. Actually bother is too strong a word. I've just noticed it.

I remember a reveal vid from a few months ago where AW was speaking whilst walking through a forest(?). I commented on it then as being a distraction (probably in this thread!).

As I said it doesn't bother me too much. But I may try VA turned all the way down and subtitles on...

Thanks kots! I'll have a look.

I just thought about the whole VA discussion, and why so many people don't like AW in this respect.

I did not recognize something different or something obvious bad about VA.
The answer could be: I don't play the game usually in their native language (english). So I am used to syncronization in VA (and movies as well of course). So maybe this time, the syncro team did a better job than the original team?!

In AW2, I really hope the environments will be a bit more opened up than AW1...

They couldn't get sandbox working well, but what about the Zelda-style?
I can easily see that being easier to implement than sandbox like GTA IV or Just Cause 2

Just wanna nit picking on the tech side again, the supposed volumetric lighting doesn't actually cause any sun shaft through the trees or anything else which is weird. Also I'm surprised all the shadows from the foliage are static which can be seen during day time. Very impressive view though but it's not as alive as it could be.

Back