[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

You'll have to ask Ostepop that, it would take forever for me to interpret that, as I was pretty lazy on my swedish classes :) (Swedish and Norsk are pretty similar)

:LOL:

I'm impressed with your natural air of authority!

Anyway, I'm super-convinced that they'll have some sort of presence at E3; which would suggest a launch this year. Hmm.

Oh sorry, of course it's Norsk, how could I have mistaken it for Finnish.

Looks completely different, Finnish is written from top to bottom. ;)

Well Norsk and Swedish are much closer to English than Finnish. Finnish is a very different kind of language. I doubt there is anything really new information in that text, but it would be nice if a Norwegian or a Swede could translate it!

Häkkinen starts the interview by telling that he cannot tell mych about the game and their non presence at GDC should be enough evidence that he is not in position to tell much about the game and its progress at the moment.

Later on he still give som information. Alan Wake is a psychologicla actionthriller with a very strong story. It is much less action than Max Payne. The reporter asks him if its action similar to the action in the Silent Hill series. He answers that the action is kind of similar but of course there are no zombies because they go for reality. He says the game is very much based on the story and the strong story will help build the atmosphere.

Lighting is very important in the game and its a unique element that has never been used in a game in the same way before. Remedy always try to bring new things to their games.
The reporter asks if it will be the new bullit time. Häkkinen answers that Bullit time was something new they came up with and the lighting will be similar in that sense. It is a very important element in the game. They control the weather and day/night simulation, but most important of all wecontrol how much lighting there is in the game.

Don´t have more time at the moment. Ostepop or someone else feel free to continue.

Does it mean the weather is dynamic, or you decide what mood it is in an area by using the weather?

We decide the mood, you are right there. Everything in the weter is affected by the weather. If you drive a car the driving conditions will get worse by heavy rain (sic!:smile:) than if the weather was good. In that way the weather is dynamic, that will affet how you play the game. If there is fog you will have limited view, and we control it. Something importatnt that you should remeber is that this concept is new new and special.

Many will read this and think:I haveseen lighting in games before,I haveseen dramaticlighting,I have used a flashlight. Does this mean lighting in Alan Wake is very special from what we have seen before?

- Yes and it is an element i the fight as well.

This is pretty basic question, what are you doing in this game? Most current games are about fightingor shooting. So when you are not fighting in Alan Wake what are you doing?

Let us start with the story, and who Alan Wake is. He is a famous writer, but he has a problem. He hasn´t written anything in ten years. His wife Alice takes him to the city Bright Falls. Everything goes terrible, Alice disappears and Alan must find her. He is captured between his thought, .... and night mares.Wehave many night mare elements andmany elements where you are unsure of what is what, and that give a very intresting angle of the game play. And again, I must stress the psychological aspect, but I am afraid am telling you to much.

Think about series like 24, Lost ; Prison Break, episodes en up with cliff hangers that makes you cling to your chair and wonder what will happen in the next episode. That is something we will try to achieve in Alan Wake, and we are very close. We are very happy for what we got. It has been a long process, we have been working with it for five years, and it has been mauch up and downs to find the right way to do things. Now we are happy we found the right way and the development is going very well at the moment.

There you have some more, I´ll try to find moretime later.

Thanks Crossbar. I seriously can't wait for this game, sounds like its going to be amazing.

Looks wise, from what we've seen so far it looks like it could easily be one of the best looking games out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had we seen this before?

Everything before 6:13 is stuff I know about, after that they start to talk about AW's engine and how great it'll run on Intel Core 2 Quad Processors (tm). AW does look a little goofy running, though.

Had we seen this before?

Everything before 6:13 is stuff I know about, after that they start to talk about AW's engine and how great it'll run on Intel Core 2 Quad Processors (tm). AW does look a little goofy running, though.

Yeap we have seen it before, they were showing the game as a guests in some Intel quad core unveiling event few years back.

Last edited by a moderator:
All PC footage though.

Well, one can assume it is, but as far as I know the one and only case where it has been actually stated where it's from is when they demoed the stuff with Intel quads (was it Core2Quad launch or something?), so who knows, it could be XB360 too, at least it's their main platform (no idea for how long it has been main platform though)

Well, one can assume it is, but as far as I know the one and only case where it has been actually stated where it's from is when they demoed the stuff with Intel quads (was it Core2Quad launch or something?), so who knows, it could be XB360 too, at least it's their main platform (no idea for how long it has been main platform though)

They've never shown any 360 screens though, they've all been PC.
At least that's what I remember from browsing the official forums.

My most anticipated game for xbox 360. I originally bought the console just for this game, Mass Effect and Fable2. I've been kinda disappointed by the first two titles so I'm transferring my unrealistic expectations on this one. Don't fail me Remedy ! :D
Oh, and I will buy it for the story first. I certainly don't care about the 3d engine performance (Not that the few screenshots we've seen are bad, quite the contrary).

Notice: Off-topic/trolling/follow-up posts removed. Please continue with discussing Alan Wake. Comparisons to other studios is unwarranted let alone making baseless comparisons to other games when we have seen so little of AW.

I want to be excited for the title, the problem is there is so little information regarding it.

If the game is not going to be released this year, then good on Remedy for keeping a lid on it until it is closer to release. If it releasing this year, then Remedy needs to get some information out there.

It's all always a pain to see/hear about a concept of game that isn't released for years later. In some cases it never even comes to fruition and we are left wondering what could have been.

After watching the E3 presentation, I think the game looks really great. I love the lighting and the general concept of enemies that can be damaged by light, and how it is implemented visually looks very cool.

But at the same time, I'm kind of disappointed that this game at least seems to be turning into a Resident Evil / Silent Hill type clone, and another downside for me is that the narrative uses past tense. I think this is very hard to pull off convincingly in a video-game without undermining the immersion. While its an extremely valid and widely successful narrative technique for other media like books and movies, it just doesn't seem suited for a video game.

In a video game you want to feel that you are creating reality right there and then, because video gaming is an active and involving activity. By using past tense narration you suggest that all the player can do is follow a fixed path to a pre-ordaned outcome, when gaming in essence is about action, shaping your own destiny. Even if many games do in fact have a sort of fixed outcome, you want your player to feel that he isn't, at least not too much. The only time I would use past-tense narration is when the narration is presented as a certain form of reality, and then your gameplay can rewrite the history, and the effect of your success is that history is re-written right then and there.

Then again maybe I'm judging too soon and Alan Wake is like that. Also the end of the trailer seems to suggest something interesting going on with dreams.

Back