[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

Damn this game looks beautiful not only visually but it's got a very special feel to it as a game it reminds me of shenmue.

This actually made me more interested in the game. I usually don't buy horror games, but this seems more psychological than monster-based. I can only hope.

Thanks Laa-Yosh. Been waiting for this for a while.

It looks as good as I hoped it would. Limited gameplay though. But that was to be expected. Can't wait for the release.

On a side note, Gamersyde having previously been as smooth as can be for me now is a little jarring in it's vids. Not just with AW, with everything. I'm fairly confident it's not my PC - but... Hmm.

"Mod Note: There will be no comparisons to other games without repercussions."

Naturally, and of course i was being serious and had my popcorn ready. Sheesh.............

Is it just me but from the trailer I saw at PCGH, the facial expressions look a bit weird? I guess there are still people playing catch up to facial expressions from the HL2 series.

Last edited by a moderator:
It still looks great (graphically) but I couldn't see any improvements from last years vids to be honest.

Based on the commentary in this thread i'm afraid I was expecting more.

Still, the gameplay looks awsome, this is definatly near the top of my wish list.

Sorry Alstrong, I don't know how to use thumbnails. Thanks for the quick fix :smile:

It still looks great (graphically) but I couldn't see any improvements from last years vids to be honest.

Based on the commentary in this thread i'm afraid I was expecting more.

Still, the gameplay looks awsome, this is definatly near the top of my wish list.
Have you seen the pics? What's the actual resolution of the images? I wonder, because Remedy said that the pics from the PC version are 1080p and AAx4, while the pics from the 360's version are 720p and the images I posted above are 720p, but they look too good and I'm not sure if they are from the console rendition of the game, actually.

Better I will ask Quaz51 in the Neverending thread.

Are you seeing the same as me? I don't know what's not amazing about those pics

http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1807

2008 Screenshot comments & discussion

Q: What platform was used?
A: PC. The shots were taken in 1080p resolution (using 4xMSAA) and scaled down to 720p for web release. We are only releasing a few shots, and we wanted these to be usable for print purposes as well, therefore the higher resolution. The game looks very good on Xbox360 too but only runs in 720p.

http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806

Cinematic Trailer comments & discussion

Q: Is this from the game engine?
A: With the exception of title screens (Remedy/MGS/Alan Wake), it's all from the game engine. The depth-of-field effects have been added as a post-process to enhance the visual storytelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen the pics? ... Are you seeing the same as me? I don't know what's not amazing about those pics

Yep, the video too. Don't get me wrong, it looks great. But it looked great last year and i'm not seeing any improvement now. It will cllearly be one of the best looking games available when its released but I can't say i'm as blown away as I was expecting to be given whats been said in this thread.

Maybe its just because I don't connect "cinematic" shots like this with actual ganmeplay. Give me an in game view with hud etc... from an actual gameplay camera showing this level of graphics and I might be more impressed.

While the game still looks great there were a few things there that disappointed me. The polycount on the characters doesn't seem to be extraordinary with some of the close shots on the hands and elbow of Alan and the red-coat guy standing out. The animation of Alan, the waiter at the diner, etc. also looked quite stiff. The best parts for me were the environment and the lighting tricks.

pjbliverpool: there are a few gameplay shots with HUD, etc. Here's two if you haven't yet seen them:

Clicky

Clicky

pjbliverpool: there are a few gameplay shots with HUD, etc. Here's two if you haven't yet seen them:

Clicky

Clicky

Cheers. Although I think those shots do more to confirm my initial doubts than assuage them.

Still, i'll wait and see how the full res/max detail PC shots look before drawing too many conclusions. Either way i'll definatly be picking this up. Damn, there are too many great games on the horizon at the moment!

The new trailer is so coool!! Its got that mystery vibe to it and teased me at the end with those Zombie type guys with axes saying," you brought us here !" :D ! I felt like playing Resident Evil5 after watching it !

Let's not bring another title into this? Especially with such early screenshots?

Was Max Payne such a good-looking game way back when? I seem to remember it more for gameplay and ambiance.

Max Payne looked far better than anything upon release, if you had proper hardware.

Back