halflife 2 physics engine

I think it is a good parody of ragdoll simulations.
A skeleton consisting of bones tied together with strings, thats what most of the ragdoll simulations I saw looked like.
It certainly didn't look like a dead body (as it supposed to be in most cases).

So this demo is a cool way to show off: "Look how out phisics engine sucks, we can't do real ragdoll, we can only do useless/unrealistic skeleton simulation!" ;)
Not that I like Havok's "surfaces can't contact, only hover over each other" simulation technique.

Having unusable controls in this demo complement the engine features very well...

IIRC, Deus Ex 2 is using the same physics engine. . . I think the one that's currently in the Unreal Engine wasn't quite completed at the time that Ion Storm licensed the engine.

IMO the ragdoll physics in Unreal 2 were too stiff, same for Doom 3. But that skeleton seems to be not stiff enough! I'm sure this is tweakable though, if anyone can get it right Valve can.

DeathKnight said:
I've had the Porrasturvat one installed on my computer for a while. Highest score I ever got was 89221.
I got 126000 once. It was pretty funny, the guy was bouncing down on his head then I guess it hit a glitch in the program because he suddenly flew forward racking up massive points when he landed on his head at the bottom :)

Funny app to play with.

IMO the ragdoll physics in Unreal 2 were too stiff, same for Doom 3

When were they shown off in Doom III? If you're talking about the alpha, that says nothing, we don't know how complete the physics engine was.

Seen the Doom 3 E3 trailer?

If that is stiff physics then I am as stiff as dried concrete. NO! Not down there. :p

You dirty people. ;) :LOL:

Fuz said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
If that is stiff physics then I am as stiff as dried concrete. NO! Not down there.

Prove it.

That Doom 3 hasn't got stiff physics or that I am not on a fat?

For the first part, download the 62.6MB Doom 3 E3 trailer and watch the movements of the spiders and the imps. Watch how fluidly and naturally they move.

For the 2nd, well I can't exactly prove that I am not on a stiff. ;)

K.I.L.E.R said:
For the first part, download the 62.6MB Doom 3 E3 trailer and watch the movements of the spiders and the imps. Watch how fluidly and naturally they move.

The quality of the animations isn't really related to the physics applied to them.

BNA! said:
K.I.L.E.R said:

The quality of the animations isn't really related to the physics applied to them.

So, you are saying that the skeletal system isn't going to contribute?

I could have sworn that the skeletal system contributes mostly to the animations quality, considering it's all done in real time.

So, you are saying that the skeletal system isn't going to contribute?

I could have sworn that the skeletal system contributes mostly to the animations quality, considering it's all done in real time.
Skeletal animation allows a single set of animations to be applied to many different meshes. Without skeletal animation, each mesh would have it's own set of animations, which takes up more memory. It doesn't intrinsicly improve quality, though.

Back