Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

^ That's my concern too, as I like to do the same...from what I understand the progression is very linear so when you get to a boss battle its pretty much the same level everytime.

Sorry if this question has been answered already (a few times, i'd assume) but i'm the kind of guy who likes to have the biggest and most levelled up character in FF so that when i got to boss battles, they're kinda easy. For example, in FF10 i kept going round and round boring myself to death to level myself up for hours on end, and by the later stages of the game i was way too much for any battle - the final boss was long but easy.

Now, i hear that i can't do that in FF13? That's... not right! I can't die in boss battles!

I've come to appreciate the leveling system in 13. It got rid of one of the small things about JRPGs that always annoyed me, arbitrary character levels. Why is my character level 1? He's been a solider for 50 years. Did he learn nothing in that time? Nothing?! :LOL:

Instead, we have aribtrary skill levels.:D

In all seriousness, the leveling system is a nice improvement, but grinding is handled a bit differently. For one, at the beginning of the game, it's impossible. I think that, perhaps, they wanted you to move along, and push forward with the story. When you are able to "level", it's handled quite a bit differently than in past games. First and foremost, "experience" is accumulated for the entire party (as it is in many WRPGs), and not just the active characters. This actually works out quite well as, initially, your team is pretty much pre-determined for you and you can't swap characters. So, as you progress through the initial chapters in the game, playing as the various "teams" any grinding you do there, carries over to the other teams. It drastically reduces the need for hours of grinding with each of your team members (so far, at least).

However, the game limits the progress you can make for party members at any given time. At Chapter 5, for example, you'll only be able to upgrade your stats to a certain point. The "experience" you gain, on the other hand, does still accumulate. So, as soon as additional skill paths are made available to you, you can use up that accumulated experience. From what I've seen so far (mind you, I'm not that far into the game), you won't be able to simply overpower a boss because you've been grinding for hours. However, it can make the battle easier if you've maxed out what skills you can. Strategy, from what I've seen, plays a bigger role than "level" (due to the way in which you're limited to how strong you can become)

On that note, the more I play, the more I love the battle system. The Paradigm system adds a very nice level of strategy, IMO. One that not only requires thoughtful preparation beforehand (go into battle with Paradigms that don't take advantage of your current team and you could be screwed), but also quick thinking in battle to adjust to the current situation. It's been a very satisfying system thus far.

Sorry if this question has been answered already (a few times, i'd assume) but i'm the kind of guy who likes to have the biggest and most levelled up character in FF so that when i got to boss battles, they're kinda easy. For example, in FF10 i kept going round and round boring myself to death to level myself up for hours on end, and by the later stages of the game i was way too much for any battle - the final boss was long but easy.

Now, i hear that i can't do that in FF13? That's... not right! I can't die in boss battles!

No you can still grind. There is just a "level cap" like mechanic that prevents you from getting too strong. Of course after you beat the game all the caps are off. And thats when you should go back and tackle the hardest monsters you had no hope to beat before.

Also even if there is a cap on Christarium level, there is no cap for equipment bonuses. So you can keep grinding for cash and items to make your weapons and accessories more and more power full if you wish. But really, not much grinding is necessary to beat the main story line part of this game.

^ That's my concern too, as I like to do the same...from what I understand the progression is very linear so when you get to a boss battle its pretty much the same level everytime.

You can kinda grind in the linear part too. When you retry a battle, the system sends you back to before the conflict. You can choose to go fight smaller critters, or level up differently, or buy more items; before coming back to fight the same monster again.

In general, the game is rather balanced. You should be able to beat the monster if you pick the right strategy and tactics.

No you can still grind. There is just a "level cap" like mechanic that prevents you from getting too strong. Of course after you beat the game all the caps are off. And thats when you should go back and tackle the hardest monsters you had no hope to beat before.

Also even if there is a cap on Christarium level, there is no cap for equipment bonuses. So you can keep grinding for cash and items to make your weapons and accessories more and more power full if you wish. But really, not much grinding is necessary to beat the main story line part of this game.

But if i can't backtrack, how do i level up (with or without caps)?

I understand my issue now. I have a problem with authority. I just can't take the humiliation of dying to a boss.

But if i can't backtrack, how do i level up (with or without caps)?

I understand my issue now. I have a problem with authority. I just can't take the humiliation of dying to a boss.

Enemies respawn, so, you can start at one end of a given level, go to the other end, and then back again. Respawn seems to be based on distance. but I'm not sure about that. So, the further away from an area you go, the more likely the enemies in that area are to respawn.

Think im f****d!.......Im at Brynhilder. 10 times+ without success 8(. I dont have haste or anything like that (i sold alot of stuff earlier in the game to buy things to upgrade). I can get her down to a quarter but them we time out. tried loads of Para`s but to no avail. Sigh.

Im on the last chapter now. Up until this point i have never used anything other than auto, also have never used a summon. If you find yourself stuck its most likely your Paradigm setup and Paradigm switching tactics that needs adjusting rather than your level being the problem or using auto battle. I cant stress enough how important a sentinel is for pretty much every fight later on and bosses especially. If a boss has multiple parts always destroy the parts that are not the main enemy first. Make sure to use Libra on every single enemy you come across without fail. For bosses with multiple parts use Librascope item rather than the Libra tecnique

The only point up until the final chapter where its a good idea to grind a bit is when you first
reach the open area in cocoon. There is a great way to level here, to the right of the save point is a lone gargantua which gives 4000 CP each time this will be a hard fight normally but if you get a preemptive strike you can take him out in one stagger, start off with COM/RAV/SAB to stagger and reduce his defenses and then go all out attack. The trick to getting a preemptive strike on him is to let him see you and chase you, he will stop chasing as long as you stay out of range at which point he will turn and do a full 180 giving you an easy preemptive attack every time. Once defeated run back to just beyond tha save point and he wil respawn. If you are unable to take him out in one stagger (before he turns into a more powerful form with full health) level up on smaller enemies for a bit until you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think im f****d!.......Im at Brynhilder. 10 times+ without success 8(. I dont have haste or anything like that (i sold alot of stuff earlier in the game to buy things to upgrade). I can get her down to a quarter but them we time out. tried loads of Para`s but to no avail. Sigh.

Who is Brynhilder?

Like Xalion mentioned above, use potion to heal. Keep both your guys attacking all the way. I also levelled up Chaz' weapon just to be safe.

Just realised i can go back! Phew......im about 5000pts away from Haste so a long slog is in order, especially as im on my own, though ive just recieved 600pts for beating 5 of those little blue b*****d thundara weilding smackheads!!!!! Haste MIGHT just be the key to progressing further!

Most summons gestalt guage is increased by chain bonus so dont bother with COM always use RAV against them. If you have a SAB in your party its an indication that using status ailments against them for gestalt guage increase. The aim with summons is not to inflict damage, its to impress the summon by other means whether thats chain boosting, debuffing or enhancing. Use Libra at the start always for nice boost in gestalt guage, even if you already know the weaknesses.

Last edited by a moderator:
On using summons (doesn't really reveal plot, just mechanics really):
I thought the summons were weak as well, but I finally noticed they do have 2 unique qualities. First, they attack fairly quickly - so if you really need to stagger something they can do it very efficiently. However, that isn't their best use in my opinion. If you have already staggered a boss and summon them immediately on doing so, you get almost the full stagger to use them.

Because the percentage damage staggered mobs takes increases with every hit, it shoots up very fast with a summon up - often to 800 or 900%. If you fill their Gestalt bar, then use their special (the one you get too by pressing diamond) near the end of the stagger, their special attacks are a series of large single damage attacks. I've had Odin do over 80k damage in one series of 4 hits in his final attack before doing that (plus the 20-30k he did before I used his Gestalt). For comparison, I average about 20k in one round with my party at the same level.

They are never really necissary though. It is just some fights it is nice to end in one stagger rather than 2 or 3.

On mobs respawning (some chapter 8 stuff):
Gradthrawn was right, they respawn on distance. There are also points that they "trigger" on and respawn. One such interesting point is in the flying ship in chapter 8 just after you make your way across the first outdoor part to the indoor part. There is a point that you can cross to respawn both behind and in front of you.

I say that one is interesting because they almost always drop a credit chip or upgrade components. My wife handed me our little one while she ate yesterday and since I could only run back and forth and hit x one handed, I just did two of those fights for about an hour. Ended up with over 100k gil from selling the chips I got during that hour. I am sure there are others just like it in the game though.

Done it!! Haste made the difference ...JUST! Annoying i had to respec and set my equip/para`s up every time i died! But the bitch is in the bag now.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-xiii-167136.phtml

OUCH ! 4/10 from Destructoid !
It's the worst main chapter in the Final Fantasy series to date, and if this is the future of the franchise, that future is incredibly bleak indeed.
Written with all the skill of a three-year-old and paced with the eagerness of a virgin in heat, Final Fantasy XIII isn't just bad by Final Fantasy standards, it's pretty damn poor for the genre itself.
What say B3d Players , is it so?

Back