Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

I haven't read the entire thread since I fear some posters haven't been taking care of posting spoiler-free impressions...

I've progressed nicely into the game so far. I'm about 5 hours in and my enjoyment has been increasing nicely since the beginning and as I'm getting used to the new battle system. I'm a bit critical though as this game seems to be very linear - more so than Final Fantasy X if that is indeed possible which is a huge disappointment.

The best thing about FFVII to FFIX was IMO the world map and being able to explore locations as you wanted in search of side quests. Sure, the story progressed on a linear path, but it was still a lot better than moving along on your very fixed path as XIII is doing it (so far).

The battle system is interesting. I'm still learning the ins and out but for now, I feel less central to the whole battle outcome than in other Final Fantasies. Even in FFXII, I felt more central to the entire battle by having to set up my Gambits (?) correctly to achieve an optimal result. In FFXIII so far, it's been mostly auto-battle so far and adjusting the overal strategic layout of occasionally bringing in medics, sabateurs roles into the gameplay. Selecting my own actions instead of auto-battle hasn't been necessary so far - and if I did, it's often too time consuming to be really effective. Auto-battle seems too effective not to use it, which IMO is a shame. This might change in later battles (boss battles maybe), but for now, I do feel a bit less involved in the battles.

I also haven't got much chance to level up either yet. Fighting the natural enemies that are spread across your path have been enough so far to gradually uplevel my characters. I'm not sure if this is enough, but half of the fun in older Final Fantasys were fighting randomized battled and leveling up your characters. Is this not necessary anymore? What a pitty.

Ah, the story.. well the story is interesting so far, but I definately haven't quite understood what, how, why yet. Or who for that matter. It feels a bit like FFXII which IMO isn't good, since IMO that had the worst and uninteresting story in any FF so far. To its defence, it's still early for me to judge and I have high hopes my impression will be changed.

Still all in all, good fun. Finally another FF and I'm enjoying it for what it is.

I think I have similar response as Phil. Intrigued by the story so far. It's branchy although the gameplay side is linear so far. It keeps things a little interesting. The battle system is getting more involving/engaging now.

I am confused/fascinated by the art. It seems to be an eclectic collection of styles, and yet they look anonymous and alien. My eyes can't follow all the intricate lines properly (very complex/busy form). My favorite character so far is Lightning. Vanille is scary, but I like her long legs. Will definitely stay away from her in real-life (You'll probably have to spend hours and hours on the phone with her).

Is there yet any sales numbers for FFXIII in west?
It'd be interesting to see how PS3 and xb360 versions have sold respectively.

"Day one estimates say that the title sold 450,000 units in it's first day in North America, with the PS3 version selling 290,000 units and the Xbox 360 version selling 160,000."

http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/f...nch-day-sales-day-1-sales-strong-2589098.html

From personal accounts, in various retail stores I have been in, the PS3 version is sold out, the 360 is still in stock. Not surprised by it at all since I didn't think games like FF (or any jrpg really) fit well with the xbox demographic who generally like FPS and other shooting titles (in the US anyway).

I have to say after playing more last night (Chapter 5 I believe) that the characters are starting to actually develop away from generic cookie-cutters into actual people. Hope is far less annoying now and I want to keep playing to see what will happen next.

I'm having some trouble with the
Shiva Sisters. I probably need to use defense at the proper time and then attack? I'm having some trouble right now timing things, but that should be possible. What's the best stance for inbetween - commando or ravenger? I already died three times and am starting to get bored a little with this fight! ;)

Don't do anything, just keep defending. Shiva will somehow "damage" herself until her bar is filled. Then press [].

The next one is a lot tougher and you won't be able to get away with it.

Might be best to flag your Chapter # outside the spoiler tag. That way more people will read it knowing that they have passed that stage. For those who are curious, it's in or before Chapter 4.

Not everyone looks for the same things when they review.
If you value multiplayer and community elements, or innovation, then you score things like Little Big Planet and Halo 3 very highly, and Final Fantasy 13 probably not so much.
Edge are free to value whatever they want. I'm uncomfortable with the idea that you have to value the same things as everyone else (averaged) or there's something wrong with you.

Edge looks at the color of the case that the game comes in and if it's green, it gets less harsh reviews. This is not my opinion but a statistically proven fact.
If they value innovation and multiplayer community, why is Bayonetta a 10? Why does Flatout Ultimate Challenge get the same score as Killzone 2? Because of Edge's lack of integrity, that's why.
FF13 is much better than Battlestations Midway, I've played them both and there is no comparison, yet they got the same score from Edge. The lime green case helped Battlestations Midway just like it helped any other 360 exclusive for its worthless Edge score.

I'm very happy to have a discussion about game reviews, but I don't want to wreck a thread where people are enjoying discussing a game they're playing. If this spawns a reviews thread I'll happily join in, otherwise I'm out.

I do have a serious FF13 question for the folks playing it: do you get to have any kind of meaningful interactions with major NPCs? Mass Effect style team member losses and rutting are unlikely I know, but is there any kind of player involvement in the development of characters and their outcomes?

Just a quick update - have been playing for 7 hours straight and am about 12 hours into the game now. Did a lot of upleveling for about 2 hours which turned out to be great since I'm now ahead with the crystalpoints (or whatever they're called).

Now that my characters are quite strong, I'm really enjoying it, though despite my strength, the battles are still varied and challenging (simply auto-battle won't always do the job).

The story is starting to make sense (or at least form some kind of clear picture what lead up to the 'purge'). Still won't comment to much on that though to avoid spoilers and I'm guessing I still have a long way to go to see how everything pans out.

Really starting to like the characters so far. Lightning is awesome and the sexy babe. :oops:

Vanile is... cute, but bordering on annoying. Well, she would be if she wouldn't be that cute. Oh and nice legs indeed.

Oh - and I love the music so far and the graphics are very nice. Perhaps technically not the most impressive feat but what the hell - very nice art, just beautiful.

And the CGI - bloddy hell. Awesome stuff. What I really like is how it blends in nicely with the realtime graphics and the in-engine rendered cut-scenes. At times you really have to look out which is which as a lot could be mistaken for the CGI stuff unless it gets really close or you don't have any explosions with dust/smoke etc going on. You can tell that the in-engine stuff is very stale in comparison, but apart from that... it's pretty well hidden most of the time. Very impressive.

Don't do anything, just keep defending. Shiva will somehow "damage" herself until her bar is filled. Then press [].

Might be best to flag your Chapter # outside the spoiler tag. That way more people will read it knowing that they have passed that stage. For those who are curious, it's in or before Chapter 4.

I thought I tried that already, but probably to late or not consistent enough ... anyway, thanks! :) And I had no idea what chapter I was in actually, so that's why. ;)

I thought I tried that already, but probably to late or not consistent enough ... anyway, thanks! :) And I had no idea what chapter I was in actually, so that's why. ;)

I did this and it worked on the first try:

just keep taunting each turn and you'll see the geshalt (?) gauge slowly increase. Before the timer runs out you'll be able to hit square.

Just a quick note on this and the next 2 fights of this nature (includes some things in Chapter 8ish):

All of the summons react to different things. So different moves will fill the Gestalt bar faster. Shiva gets the single largest bonus if you are blocking when the sister not healing does her wheel attack, and a slightly smaller for taunting. You can either try to alternate taunt/guard or you can just choose one or the other for that fight.

Odin on the other hand threw me at first. His single largest bonus is actually magic damage, with healing being the second. He reacts very poorly to physical damage - which considering you've played Lightning as a commando up to this point made the fight seem extraodinarily hard to me until I figured out how to customize my paradigms. Going caster/healer and healer/healer made this fight pretty simple, so I avoided having to make rings or other similar upgrades.

Brynhilder on the other hand was massively difficult for me. Only really reacts to damage, so time spent healing is time wasted. I finally had to use a couple of potions before the fight to make sure I could get through in time.

The thing I really like about these fights is that they were designed so that winning requires more than just doing damage. So far, each has been unique in what is necissary to beat it. I have to say that while I miss the massive collection of summons you had in Final Fantasy VII - I've found these far more compelling so far from a gameplay standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you keep Odin Gestalt mode as long as possible ? He seems to run out pretty quickly. I tried auto-gestalt and manual, didn't make much difference.

Am stuck at
the boss fight at Hope's home now.

^That's a very simple fight actually. Just have one party member in Sentinel mode to draw the fire and shield itself (that would be Fang at this point. Iirc Snow is out) and chip away the health bar with the other 2 (one ravager, one commando until the break meter is around 30%, then switch to sentinel/ravager/ravager to stagger quickly. I don't think I used any buffs during the fight. Make a paradigm with 2 meds for quick emergency healing, but you probably won't need it much because the sentinel's aggro is very reliable during that fight). I never did any grinding nor did I upgrade weapons at that point and I still got 5 stars.

Heh heh, yap, I got it without using the Eidolon. Didn't target the weapon turrets at first.

EDIT: I passed Brynhilder too. ^_^

I have yet to find good reason for using the Eidolons besides replenishing my health. Their damage output potential seems absolutely pathetic so far.

Odin is not too bad against multiple human and robots. I got 2500+ damage points, but it lasts too short.

I think I saw 10,000+ in one instance, but not too sure now.

Sorry if this question has been answered already (a few times, i'd assume) but i'm the kind of guy who likes to have the biggest and most levelled up character in FF so that when i got to boss battles, they're kinda easy. For example, in FF10 i kept going round and round boring myself to death to level myself up for hours on end, and by the later stages of the game i was way too much for any battle - the final boss was long but easy.

Now, i hear that i can't do that in FF13? That's... not right! I can't die in boss battles!

Back