Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

Both Oblivion and Bioshock were high-profile exclusives if you include games like L4D.

Your list misses games they've scored higher than average on PS3, and games scored much lower than average on 360.

Oblivion and Bioshock are not exclusives. I'll make the top 20 exclusives and multiplats list soon to show that statistical bias is real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oblivion is not an exclusive. I'll make the top 20 exclusives and multiplats list soon to show that statistical bias is real.
It was a console exclusive for a year.

It's easy enough the sort by highest rated on metacritic. A few more you missed:

Dead Rising: average 85, Edge 80 (-5)
Viva Pinata: average 84, Edge 70 (-14)
Dead or Alive 4: average 85, Edge 70 (-15)
Halo Wars: average 82, Edge 70 (-12)
Banjo-Kazooie N & B: average 79, Edge 70 (-9)
Kameo: average 79, Edge 70 (-9)
Lost Planet: average 79, Edge 70 (-9)
Perfect Dark Zero: average 81, Edge 70 (-11)
Castle Crasher: average 85, Edge 70 (-15)
Shadow Complex: average 88, Edge 70 (-18)

Curse you warb! Don't burst it!

bubble-boy.jpg

This is going waaay OT, I didn't even get an answer for the question related to FF13 which I asked before :)

It was a console exclusive for a year.

It's easy enough the sort by highest rated on metacritic. A few more you missed:

Dead Rising: average 85, Edge 80 (-5)
Viva Pinata: average 84, Edge 70 (-14)
Dead or Alive 4: average 85, Edge 70 (-15)
Halo Wars: average 82, Edge 70 (-12)
Banjo-Kazooie N & B: average 79, Edge 70 (-9)
Kameo: average 79, Edge 70 (-9)
Lost Planet: average 79, Edge 70 (-9)
Perfect Dark Zero: average 81, Edge 70 (-11)
Castle Crasher: average 85, Edge 70 (-15)
Shadow Complex: average 88, Edge 70 (-18)

Not many people care about crappy games or downloadable games or timed exclusives due to late PS3 launch, but for each game in your list, I can find a worse PS3 exclusive:

Heavenly Sword 79 - 60
Haze 55 - 50
lair 53-30
RR7 78-60
Valkyria chronicles: 86-70
White knight chronicles 65-50
MAG 75-60
warhawk 84-80
yakuza 3 81-60
infamous 85-70

I dare you to find one disc based PS3 exclusive besides Demon's Souls and LBP that got a higher score than its metacritic on Edge. Go ahead....just find one if you can. I'm going to stop posting off topic and prepare a proper analysis since I've exposed what I wanted to expose.

Surely alls thats needed to prove this magazines 'review quality' is :p

Uncharted 2: Edge 90 (just won another game of the year award yesterday I see, arent they moving to a new building to accommodate the awrads won ;) )
Halo 3: Edge 100 (won bugger all)

gamerevolution.com seems to have the best unbiased reviews

Crappy games? The lowest score is 79. You're looking for bias in the average score of two different sets of games by various Edge reviewers, released at different times.

I think all you've done so far is expose your own. Also, FFXIII is a multi-platform title. Edge reviews are usually very good, if you bother to read them.

Crappy games? The lowest score is 79. You're looking for bias in the average score of two different sets of games by various Edge reviewers, released at different times.

I think all you've done so far is expose your own. Also, FFXIII is a multi-platform title. Edge reviews are usually very good, if you bother to read them.

Docking points for shadow complex or another mini game is insignificant to giving low scores to killzone or god of war. I don't read reviews from fanboys so no I don't read them.

I don't usually read reviews because reviews are opinions and opinions are like a**holes, everyone has a different one. When the a**holes start forming their own opinions, they write reviews for edge.

Edge aren't just harsh reviewers, which by itself woudln't be a problem. They are biased reviewers:

God of War 3: 94 average, Edge 80 (-14)
Heavy Rain: 87 average, Edge 70 (-17)
Uncharted 2: 96 average, Edge 90 (-6)
Uncharted Drake's fortune: 88 average, Edge 80 (-8)
Killzone 2: 91 Average, Edge 70 (-21)
Ratchet ACIT: 87 Average, Edge 70 (-17)
Ratchet TOD: 89 Average, Edge 80 (-9)
Resistance 2: 87 Average, Edge 60 (-27)
Resistance FOM: 86 Average, Edge 70 (-16)
MGS4: 94 Average, Edge 80 (-14)
GT5P: 80 average, Edge 70 (-10)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2: 83 average, Edge 70 (-13)
Motorstorm PR: 82 Average, Edge 70

Average: 14.3 points lower than Metacritic

And to prove they are not just harsh reviewers:

Halo ODST: 83 Average, Edge 90 (+7)
Halo 3: 94 Average, Edge 100 (+6)
Forza 3: 92 Average, Edge 90 (-2)
Forza 2: 90 Average, Edge 90 (0)
Fable 2: 89 Average, Edge 90 (+1)
Gears of War 2: 93 Average, Edge 90 (-3)
PGR3: 88 Average, Edge 90 (+2)
PGR4: 85 Average, Edge 90 (+5)
Ace Combat 6: 80 Average, Edge 80 (0)
Crackdown: 83 Average, Edge 80 (-3)
L4D: 89 Average, Edge 90 (+1)
L4D2: 89 Average, Edge 90 (+1)
Ninja Gaiden 2: 81 Average, Edge 80(-1)

Average: 1.1 point higher than Metacritic

I rest my case, it's crystal clear what they are.

I remember when I used to read EDGE years ago and they were pretty harsh with any game. Top scores were gone to games that excelled in some areas (they didnt review them simply as games meant simply for fun. They were reviewed holistically as a total work, sometimes from the perspective of the creators whether that was innovation, great art or programming genius). Sequels and rehashes used to score badly and if a game didnt bring anything groundbreaking to the table it got a low score. Regardless of platform.

But now that I see these scores this is certainly not the EDGE I knew. Halo 3 100%? L4D 90%? These are some examples that you actually expected EDGE to rape them in review scores. God of War 3 ad Uncharted are usually the examples you expect to rate higher based on how they used to review back in the old days.

I remember when I used to read EDGE years ago and they were pretty harsh with any game. Top scores were gone to games that excelled in some areas (they didnt review them simply as games meant simply for fun. They were reviewed holistically as a total work, sometimes from the perspective of the creators whether that was innovation, great art or programming genius). Sequels and rehashes used to score badly and if a game didnt bring anything groundbreaking to the table it got a low score. Regardless of platform.

But now that I see these scores this is certainly not the EDGE I knew. Halo 3 100%? L4D 90%? These are some examples that you actually expected EDGE to rape them in review scores. God of War 3 ad Uncharted are usually the examples you expect to rate higher based on how they used to review back in the old days.

Funny thing is EDGE has the same editor as those seemingly harsher days of reviewing. This is seriously off topic and more importantly complete bunk.

Someone mentioned that the game has God Rays.
So I wanna ask is it real God Rays aka volumetric lighting or just fake effects as it is in most other games...??

I am somewhere in Chapter 4. Haven't noticed any god ray yet. The mecha designs are very elaborate and fanciful though. A little like Five Stars Stories.

Well, I disagree with the low reviews. The game is fantastic! I can see it not appelaing to mass audiences though, it might be difficult to get into and the very very boring beginning (gameplaywise) doesn't help.
Don't like the weapon and equipment upgrade system though, but then again, there were a lot of things in FF13 I didn't like at the beginning, until it opened up later.
I'm still in Cocoon, but I feel the tutorial part that was said to last 20 hours was past before 10 hours. Sure all the options haven't opened yet, but many of the enemies certainly are not tutorial stuff!

Forget about the review scores. It's their opinion and rights. Not everyone believe in God or Sciences. Not everyone will like FFXIII.

Which chapter are you in now ? Now I am not sure whether I'm still in Cocoon (Chapter 4). I am at the part where Hope and Lightning reached some woods (Based on his XMB message, I think tha_con was here last night).

I think Odin made me used up all my good components. I have no reserve now. I was going to save my components to upgrade my main weapons. Now I wasted them on
2 lousy lightning resistance rings

Remind me again.... which one of you is Anthony P. ? Would be nice if you could PM me your B3D nick. I just need a refresh. Too many people on my friends list. :oops:
I have a vague idea but could be wrong.

EDIT: I kinda like the Crystal system. Still learning how to operate the Summoning. I haven't played a Final Fantasy game for a long long time. The combat system felt very foreign to me at first. Now I am beginning to get into it.

I havent really had much of a problem with any of the summon fights, there is usually a very obvious pattern. Its always a good idea to have multiple healers. If it is able to take you out with one attack wave its a good indication that you should be using a Sentinel.

Havent actually used a summon yet and im off cocoon.

Id suggest upgrading accessories rather than main weapons. You get better stat gains from them for less exp and they are interchangable.

So Edge's poor review of a multiplatform game proves they are biased against the PS3?

Anyways, my brother got this game on PS3, watching him play for a minute. Looks great on a 52" TV, I guess, at least the walking around stuff. Prerendered stuff never impress me.

But, the series has been trending towards more and more cutscenes, and more and more linear, forever, and this is only even worse. Not for me.

Been playing this today and it's possibly the slowest start to a game I've ever seen. I managed to get through the first three hours or so using only the X button :/ Most of my fights last under 10 seconds or so, and I haven't gotten under five stars yet. Just got access to the Crystalarium, so the battle system is starting to open up, but golly-gosh, I wish developers wouldn't keep treating us like idiots. Or buffering a 20hr RPG with an extra 20hrs of "training" filler.

On the plus side, it's very pretty. Looking forward to the game being taken off rails.

I'm on a part where Hope and Lightning just got out of the chrystal woods, and Zach (?) and annoying Whiny girl just entered a lush green forest.
Both still in Cocoon.
Good tip upgradeing the accessories, thanks :)
There's very little game guides oline yet. I reather let the optimum upgrade paths for someone else to figure out, and use them instead of wasting valuable items when I have no way of figuring out what would be the best upgrade path.
In FFXII I liked the weapon and accessory system, as there was no EXP upgradeing as far as I remember, only different armaments with different stats.
Still, the best I think was FFVII's where you used those Mako stones to upgrade your weapon, it was easy and you knew what stats you were upgrading to your weapons. You could give any wapon a desired amount of fire, water etc... stones, and they would upgrade the stats accordingly.
FFXIII system, if I've got it right, you're just upgradeing the weapons level with items of different exp value... well guess that's not too different from FFXII's, except for gaining exp to your character and that way getting beter at using your sword, you're levelling exp on your weapons.

Well.. it's always been the same to me with FF's. First I don't like the changes, but eventually I like them :)

Back