What's a good computer speaker system?

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
I'm currently using a $50 phillips 2.1 system which I'm considering replacing. I once had a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system and it was great. So I'd like something around that quality range. Although I think I'm going to go for a 5.1 system this time. What systems would you recommend? It's mostly for listening to music and gaming.

I'm no expert, but I've been thinking of upgrading my Altec-Lansing ADA885 quad set-up for a 5.1 and I've been looking at this one here:

36-113-009-01.jpg

ALTEC LANSING FX5051 89 Watts 5.1 Music & Gaming Speakers

There's some nice Creative ones too I've heard, but I've had a few sets of Altec-Lansings now and I love the sound. I'm planning on sticking with them.

What's your budget btw? The one I listed is like $211us shipped.

I picked my ADA885's up for $60us used, you might want to consider looking into reconditioned speakers. You can get some truly killer stuff for dimes on dollars.

Eh, Klipsch really makes the best you're going to find strictly for a computer. Their ProMedia line is really still the best you're going to find. Personally, I'd buy a receiver and a set of bookshelf speakers... oh wait that's what I did.

you could always go the active monitor route (or passive monitors + receiver--I did that in the past with some Tannoy Reveals and man oh man it sounded good).

Receiver + real speakers is your best option for quality sound but if you want the convenience (and lower price) that comes with a computer oriented setup check out the logitech z5500s. Plenty of power, optical + coax input, dolby digital decoding etc. Really great for PS3/xbox too.

What's your budget btw?

Up to $500 sounds reasonable.

Receiver + real speakers is your best option for quality sound but if you want the convenience (and lower price) that comes with a computer oriented setup check out the logitech z5500s. Plenty of power, optical + coax input, dolby digital decoding etc. Really great for PS3/xbox too.

I'd prefer a computer based system. I'm not going to use it with anything else. I'll check out the z5500.

I agree with the HTIAB comment above. There are some real bargains from reputable brands, & they're head and shoulders above fancy PC audio for not much more. The downside for many is integration, as the amp tends to be somewhat bulky & lacks some PC niceties. I've been using a Marantz integrated amp with Mordaunt Short monitors for a long time, but recently switched to my old Yamaha Pre/Power & DIY MTMs & active sub. It's near impossible to listen to any PC audio gear.

You just want loudness and kindof a full sound?

Loudness is the thing I care the least about. Lots of wattage just makes me wonder about what kind of electricity bill the thing is going to give me. :p I play at maybe regular speech level or less normally. I like sound quality, although I'm by no means an audiophile, but I can hear the difference between a $50 system and a $500 system though.

Depends on how important music is to you... what's your main stereo rig?

I don't have one, and haven't had one for like 5 years. I play all the music through my computer.

I have to agree. I use a onkyo system on mine for years and it was really nice. Now though I admit that I am back to a midland 5.1 system that I don't like nearly as well as the onkyo system is on the TV now. If you are putting down that kind of money you will get something much better if you get a regular receiver IMO.

edit:

Also if you only want it for computer you can get a HTIAB receiver w/o HDMI for a very nice price now probably.

Yuck to the 590. I would still recommend an amplifier (ie a 5.1 system if you want - and use good cables!), and good bookshelk speakers + sub over that. Look at the monitors and nicer speakers that Yamaha itself makes and look at the driver size and speaker size. Those type of systems are designed to be convenient, they simply don't sound as good (especially mid/low-mid range) as say a 4" speaker with a big driver.

The onkyo one looks good to me, although for music (depending on the sound) I personally might turn off the surround and just use the front speakers and sub.

The Onkyo 5100 thingy seems to have waveguided tweeters. These are hightech. :)

Since you listen at low levels you may want speakers with single 3" full range chassis and a common sub.

Also open baffle subwoofers (Dipole and Ripole subs) are said to be very good if you've got enough room. They never emit sound in all directions so they produce less reflections and standing waves. I don't know if there are reasonable commercial offerings though.
DIY link

Last edited by a moderator:
Back