Which engine do you think is the most advanced nowadays? I'd say....

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
....Dunia (from Far Cry 2) for multiple reasons.

The game looks amazing, it has a huge draw distance, insanely large landscapes and it features some cool technology like this:

* Ambient Occlusion
* Pixel Perfect Destructible Environments
* Dynamic Fire Propagation
* Dynamic Weather System
* Real-Time Day/Night Cycles
* Dynamic Music System
* Non-scripted enemy A.I.
* RealTree (Real-Time Foliage Re-growth.)
* Dynamic AI Moral
* Weapon Malfunctions and Damage
* Parallax Mapping
* Soft Shadows
* HDR Lighting System
* Dynamic Ambient Lighting
* Radiositic Lighting or Indirect Lighting
* Natural Weather Vegitation Reactions
* Compatibility with Philips' amBX's environmental immersion system.

As you can see here the vegetation moves in the foreground and the background with the wind on a spiny savanna.

Simulation of real time vegetation growth:

Pixel perfect destructible environments:

Some cool (and very interesting) texture shader details:

Advanced Indirect Lighting:

Far-Cry-2-Advanced-Indirect-Lightin.jpg

Far-Cry-2-Advanced-Indirect-Ligh-1.jpg

Everything gets deteriorated with time:

Africa is beautiful, isn't it?

It doesn't build spaceships, though, but it's impressive nonetheless. I'm very surprised by the fact that this game is running on consoles at a decent framerate, actually.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know how much of this we see on consoles, but yes, this is very impressive indeed, have to say.

How about Killzone 2's engine some pretty advanced stuff going on there (or we talking about licensed engines?).

Dunia engine really shines. I would though say CryEngine2 due to what it does and what you can do in the editor (techwise). The tweaked engine used in Stalker: Clear Sky is up there in the toplist to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunia engine really shines. I would though say CryEngine2 due to what it does and what you can do in the editor (techwise). The tweaked engine used in Stalker: Clear Sky is up there in the toplist to.

It will be interesting to compare what Dunia does, at what performance cost, compared to CryEngine2's features/performance. While "junk under the hood" is relevant to how advanced an engine is, how well it performs with said features is a good indication of how well designed ("advanced") it is as well.

Of course I think most people are calling the renderer the "engine" when most of what constitutes an engine is all the stuff outside the renderer. Heck, a lot of engines have had graphical abilities that titles didn't employ in games.

As for FC2, the graphics look good and the open concept is nice, as is the fact they are shipping with a user editor. That said the theme/story seem pretty weak and uninteresting from what they have shown which is too sad. Some neat ideas, but gunplay looks boring.

Shouldnt this thread be in the console technology section?

Its definitely an impressive engine, and what makes it more impressive is the fact that its running on the two HD consoles as we speak, something which the CryEngine2 is having "problems" with.

Sure, Crytek have stated that their console optimizations are going nicely (medium/high quality despite the small memory) but we havent seen any actual console footage yet so its hard to draw a conclusion.

I personally prefer tropical islands to african deserts, so my loyalty stays with Crytek :p

What has what he said to do with Far Cry 2, and therefore, Crytek? Do you know what you are talking about?
I confused Crytek with Ubi and thought he was talking about FC2, while he was of course talking about CryEngine 2. Sorry about that, I'll be more careful in future!

What exactly makes an engine the most advanced? The one most efficiently coded or the one with a bazillion lines of code? I guess its still the Dunia engine.

In regards to Dunia, I'm apprehensive until I've seen firsthand what it can do. It may be that the engine isn't all it's cracked up to be, and that a lot of the unique features may not be as prevalent or as fleshed-out as the developers would lead you to believe. As an example, I saw a video of FC2 a couple days ago, and the "real dynamic wind affecting the trees" looked like a simple morph or displacement effect rather than the tree simply bending as it should.

One of the most amazing features of Dunia sadly will not be part of games...that is real time vegetation growth.

They demo'd this in FC2 and it is amazing. But a feature like that cannot come to fruition as the effect isn't noticeable enough unless growing from smallest to largest in fastforward. That won't be seen during gameplay so it's a "behind the scenes" thing.

They could highlight the passage of time with an ingame cutscene, but yeah, you're unlikely to have vegetation growing around you as you frag.

Shouldnt this thread be in the console technology section?

Its definitely an impressive engine, and what makes it more impressive is the fact that its running on the two HD consoles as we speak.

True but some previews are stating that there is a noticable and large difference between PC version (supposely has all the features enabled) and console versions. I wonder how many features are there in the 'medium'ish' settings.

Nope, its barely based on the first cryengine. They've said it uses about 3% of the code.

Code percentage is generally a poor way of quantifying code. That 3% could be completely trivial, or some of the most complex parts of the engine.

Of course I think most people are calling the renderer the "engine" when most of what constitutes an engine is all the stuff outside the renderer. Heck, a lot of engines have had graphical abilities that titles didn't employ in games.
Indeed. As active user of different forums etc for too many years, I've noticed the very same. There's only 1 exception I can come up with - Call of Duty 2.
With that, most people actually did realize it's still based on Quake3 engine even though the renderer has nothing to do with Q3's renderer.

That, and Duke Nukem Forever, but it doesn't count, I don't think even 3DRealms knows anymore what engine base they have lying under their own code :LOL:

Of course I think most people are calling the renderer the "engine" when most of what constitutes an engine is all the stuff outside the renderer.

True.

I really like the resource management in Naughty Dog's engine, the process management in Insomniac's engine, the event system in UE...

Back