Braid (including cross-platform discussion)

Finally played this game, yeah I'm late to the party :) Totally loved the demo, bought the game right away. Damn clever game, my hats off to the devs. If they don't make profit on this game then the financial model of XBLive is clearly flawed, because this game is a real gem.
So have you finished it yet? I'm disappointed there is so little discussion about the ending on B3D yet.

So have you finished it yet? I'm disappointed there is so little discussion about the ending on B3D yet.

Nopers. Back in the day I'd do 9th key Pac Man, complete Ghosts 'n Goblins, rule Rygar, etc. Nowadays though my video game skills have, shall we say, atrophied somewhat :( I'm trying to get all the puzzle pieces so it's gonna take me awhile.

Best post I've read in some time. This is all sorts of amazing. Trust me when I say, Braid isn't for you.

Oh Im sure I could play Braid it just gets under my skin when there are ppl out there saying its just like Super Mario bros. but for grown ups. Braid for one needs to prove itself. Its only one game Mario has stood the test of time and every main Mario game is great. Untell this Braid can do that it's not even in the same leage. Now I hear its got some puzzle stuff to it which is cool, Im sure if I had a xbox360 I could beat it in a day or just a few hours. Thats beating it without getting 100% b/c I dont care to get 100% and yall can say I didnt beat it all the way but back in the day when you played mega man and super mario or contra there was no 100% it was just bragging rights that you was able to get to the end and beat the boss

Good point. Here's my take.

You have a guy who has everything in the world and life is great but he does not appreciate it. One day he loses the girl due to his actions but still feels that he can easily win her back. When he feels like he has done enough to get her back, she's not there for him. Each time his attempt fails, his life get a darker and darker. Eventually this quest turns to obsession as he loses control of his mind and goes after her. When he finally finds her, in his head he thinks she's going to really happy to see and be with him. Infact, she's trying nothing more than to get away from him. When he finally does lose out he has no choice but to re enter the same world he's escaped from and the consequences of his actions are there for him to see.(pictures)

Oh Im sure I could play Braid it just gets under my skin when there are ppl out there saying its just like Super Mario bros. but for grown ups. Braid for one needs to prove itself. Its only one game Mario has stood the test of time and every main Mario game is great. Untell this Braid can do that it's not even in the same leage. Now I hear its got some puzzle stuff to it which is cool, Im sure if I had a xbox360 I could beat it in a day or just a few hours. Thats beating it without getting 100% b/c I dont care to get 100% and yall can say I didnt beat it all the way but back in the day when you played mega man and super mario or contra there was no 100% it was just bragging rights that you was able to get to the end and beat the boss

Look you are constructing an argument around a comment from a different forum, really forget Mario, Braid is not trying to be an italian plumber.
Go and play the game, its not Mario for grown ups. Its first and formost a puzzle game base in a variety of platform arenas (Donley Kong being one of them) but frustrating pixel perfect plaform jumping is very rarely or never required, as you can never die. You can breeze through most levels easily, solving fairly simple puzzles, thats not the challenge, the challenge is to collect puzzle peices in each level, hence a puzzle game!
Braids ideas and there are bag loads of them are going to be cut and pasted into many big budegt titles very quicky. Thats how clever and good this game is. Mario its not and its all the better for it.

Wish I was as rich as you :D

Well you know, relatively speaking :) With games being $60, $199 is fairly cheap all things considered, that makes it only $80 more than a PS2! It's an incredible deal considering the staggering amount of content available.

Just got to world 5 last night, still loving this game. The puzzles are so evil it's just brilliant. It's interesting in that it's the first game to catch my wifes attention as well. Normally she doesn't care for gaming, but she's been watching me try to solve these puzzles and has started pitching in.

He already commented on exlusiveity on the 360 for a set period of time he can't go into. So i doubt he can strike while the iron is hot.
I'm pretty sure the exclusivity period can't be THAT long, else he probably would have gotten more publishing assistance to stretch that exclusivity out.

Certainly I don't think it will last longer than the amount of time it'll take him to work up a PS3 and PC engines, add a puzzle or two (all games seem to want to add a bit of enticement since they have extra time and can pick up some double-sales from the hardcore fans), clean up anything that he wants too from the 360 version, and prepare to simul-launch on PSN, Steam, and have a downloadable version available on his website (always good to bring in traffic).

The iron will be hot for a while yet, since so much has been made about it now, and it hasn't been hit with a launch disaster. You have to delay for way more than a year before people really don't care.

Im not trying to constructing an argument. I know its a puzzle game first and formost. I read that creator of the game was a little disapointed that he wasnt able to finish it to his likeing, having to rush it and was sad he wasnt able to get in downloadable contents.

Ok, I just finished Braid. Man, did the ending throw me for a loop. At first I was like wtf? So I did the last stage again and watched more closely. I think I get it now, what a clever/crazy twist. As far as I see it:

It almost looks like you are the bad guy! Playing the last stage in reverse is actually unfolding the events forwards, showing what actually happened. It almost looks like your character is creepily staring at the princess, and she starts running away from you. As the level plays back, it looks like the switches you hitting are trying to trap the princess, while the switches she's hitting are trying to kill you. Basically, she is trying to escape from you. Then at the end, that guy in armor who looks like he was pulled out of Ghosts 'n Goblins, he's actually saving the princess from you. I don't know if that implies that your character had kidnapped the princess or he's some kooky stalker, but he definitely seems to be the bad guy in all this.

Yup...crazy. Such a good game :) Now if only I can figure out what all those paintings mean....

nice little article on one of my favorite parts of the game... the music.

they are planing a Braid soundtrack although all the songs are available for purchase already. I'll likely buy this music and use it as a custom soundtrack in a bunch of other games, it's so relaxing.

I bought this for $5 on Steam. Great looking and I love the music. It's not very fun to play though, but maybe I need to get further.

Wow I`m late. Just finished the game today (PS3), and I got to say its genius!
If I could say anything bad about it is that it has very little replay-value and is a little short (at least no repeating similar puzzles that way), but its a game like no other.
The puzzles require you to figure out the mechanics of the game and some will have you muttering "impossible" quite a few times. But you`ll keep playing and you eventually get the right idea at another place (or some sleep).

Back