Current Gen Power draw and Operating temperature

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
I'm starting to compile a list of Systems and their power draw and operating temperatures. 'm using the same devices on all systems and I'm keeping the ambient temperature the same. All tests were done 1 hour into the play time of the system.
I used a Kill a watt p3 for the electrical readings. For the temp, I placed the sensor at the hottest point of the console. For the ps3 its at the rear vents next to the serial codes. For the 360 its about 2inchs from the power plug right as the rear of the console starts to curve inward.
Code:
[DVD playback (Ducktales DVD)
                    Volts   Amps   Watts   VA    PF      
PS3 40GB    117.3   1.27   148W    149   .99     
360 60GB    110     1.25    81W    138   .59
360 20GB    110?    1.72   111W    189?  .59 

[Blu-ray playback , Sarah Connor Chronicles]

PS3 40 GB    Volts   Amps   Watts   VA    PF   Temp
                    118.2   1.16     134                       52.1

Gaming (PS3 Resistance, 360 Gears of War)
                   Volts   Amps   Watts   VA    PF   Temp
PS3 40GB    117.3   1.27   142W    149   .95
360 60GB    112.4   1.52   101W    171   .59  38.8C
360 20GB    112.4   2.40   160W    270   .59

Folding                               ----Temp----
                               Watts  1hr    8hr
PS3 40GB                       157    49.1C  54.2C
PS3 40GB (w/screen saver)      132

I have access to a wii , a 80 gig ps3 , a 60 gig ps3 and a zelphalr elite 360. I will start getting these numbers over the next week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, thanks, eastmen. Few more questions, though:
1. What's "LD" mean for the 20GB 360?
2. I forget, are 40GB PS3s using 65nm Cells?
3. Does "zelphalr" mean Zephyr? I vaguely remember something about Jasper, Falcon, and Zephyr, but I'm not too up on the codenames.

I'm done mangling your posts, but I thought I'd copy my formatting here b/c I prefer to take in all that info without scrolling. Hope you don't mind.

Code:
DVD playback (Ducktales DVD)
            Volts   Amps   Watts   VA    PF
PS3 40GB    117.3   1.27   148W    149   .99
360 60GB    110     1.25    81W    138   .59
360 20GB    110?    1.72   111W    189?  .59 

Gaming (PS3 Resistance, 360 Gears of War)
            Volts   Amps   Watts   VA    PF   Temp
PS3 40GB    117.3   1.27   142W    149   .95
360 60GB    112.4   1.52   101W    171   .59  38.8C
360 20GB    112.4   2.40   160W    270   .59

Folding                               ----Temp----
                               Watts  1hr    8hr
PS3 40GB                       157    49.1C  54.2C
PS3 40GB (w/screen saver)      132

Nice thread! These temps are recorded temperatures, right? Could you add room temperature stats for the readings, so we know how that affects things? I also add a vote for Pete's formatting as its clearer at a glance.

Pete : Yes, the 40GB PS3s are 65 nm Cells.

The room temp was 25.5. I was running my air unit all day long while doing these ha. I will edit his chart into mine when I get home from work today. But to answer his questions 1)LD is a launch day unit. 2) Yes 3)Yes , its one of the other 360s I have acess too. I will try and update all of these with the date on the console.

Cool ! Would it be possible to add Blu-ray playback to the list please ? Also what DVD did you use for the test ?

EDIT: Okay, Ducktales.

Anyone have wattage use for the original 20gb launch PS3 models per chance? I'm wondering if it's worth selling it at some point for a newer model, just for the electric savings alone.

Hey Eastman, could you weigh your 60gb in comparison to another earlier version?

I hear that Jasper is a couple of pounds lighter than the earlier generations, so I wondering if some inconclusive evidence might make this thread a little more useful for people looking for the Jasper models.

joker, if the 20GB launch models are similar to the 60GB ones, c't magazine says you're looking at a drop from 200W to 135W while gaming, so a savings of ~60W. Another site (a blog) puts the savings at ~30W across the board: new 40GB PS3, launch 60GB PS3. I'm guessing c't tested both systems in roughly the same conditions, but I don't know about that second site, as the two systems were tested by different people in different places.

Cool ! Would it be possible to add Blu-ray playback to the list please ? Also what DVD did you use for the test ?

EDIT: Okay, Ducktales.

I had my god son over and he loves that, so I was able to kill two birds with one stone. He sits still and watches duck tales and Darkwing duck. I'm testing bluray now.

Hey Eastman, could you weigh your 60gb in comparison to another earlier version?

I'll try , school is starting back up and work is crazy ( i work for a school district) and I also have classes

Wow!...those power factor ratings are pretty jaw dropping! It makes a big difference between power consumed for actual computing and power drawn from the socket. It is good to see that the ps3 is blessed with such an efficient power supply to perform the work that it does.

Are you confusing power factor (real vs. apparent power draw) with what's more commonly known as PSU efficiency (DC output over AC input)? I don't think active power factor correction is a bad thing, but I'm not sure how important it is. It's generally irrelevant for American consumers. I just added it b/c we already had the raw #s to get VA. I should be putting W first, if only for readability.

I guess it wouldn't be that hard to test the 360's PSU's efficiency, as it's external (assuming those clamp ammeters can read DC as well as AC).

I was just referring to the "pf" field of the table. I realize there is a larger implied scope to "power factor" wrt resistive and reactive loads.

The power efficiency demonstrated by the W and VA readings is what I should have worded my post. It is still impressive, nonetheless. The 2 consoles draw VA along the same ballpark, but the ps3 power supply seems to deliver a whole lot more to the console in usable W, for each unit VA. I'm not saying people should shop their consoles based on power efficiency, of course. This is just one of those details that go into the appreciation of build quality and design of the hardware, itself.

To add, the "high tech" power efficiency of the ps3 power supply is probably critically responsible for how an internal power supply configuration is at all possible on a ps3 that consumes the kind of power that it does.

Back