Best looking water in a console game this generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find the footage of the Uncharted sea-plane landing, but the sea in that scene was incredible. I'm also surprised you call them both so-so! There isn't much better out there!

Can't find the footage of the Uncharted sea-plane landing, but the sea in that scene was incredible. I'm also surprised you call them both so-so! There isn't much better out there!

I agree there isn't much better, it's just that water is way behind most textures in realism in general.

Blue Dragon looked really good, atleast what i saw from pre release footage. I think it was from a demo.

So how good was it? Question to you guys who played it.

yes, Lair, almost forgot about that. first console game that uses a fluid dynamic system for water. the ocean at a far glance looked photorealistic. Uncharted and bioshock also rank at the top.

What do you mean by first console game to use a fluid dynamic system? Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance had interactive water on PS2. I'm sure other titles have done similar. Wasn't there a GC or N64 wave-rider game thing on sea?

Uncharted 2 will be interesting. Uncharted 2's water was flat most of the time and primarily shader based. However, they were working on much more advanced 3D tech water, that didn't make it into the final game. It will be interesting to see if they come up with something.

Well, here's a video from GDC that shows what they wanted to do with the water: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/180700.html?playlist=featured

Maybe for Uncharted 2? it looks really good .

What do you mean by first console game to use a fluid dynamic system? Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance had interactive water on PS2. I'm sure other titles have done similar. Wasn't there a GC or N64 wave-rider game thing on sea?
oops, my mistake then. i cant keep track of every game that has it now can i :)? but yeah, even some older games have pretty water that might be on par with new games. like B&W2 and Half life2.

Shader-wise they weren't a patch on the current stuff, but in terms of fluid dynamics there were some impressive things last gen that quite a few contemporary games still haven't even equalled.

That Uncharted post-mortem demo, the water parts of course, remind me strongly of the PS3-Ducks-tech-demo. More than anything in actual PS3 games so far.

Which is good so we can assume it will be in Uncharted 2.

That Uncharted post-mortem demo, the water parts of course, remind me strongly of the PS3-Ducks-tech-demo. More than anything in actual PS3 games so far.

Which is good so we can assume it will be in Uncharted 2.

Wouldn't be a bad assumption. Uncharted's still looks the best :) Just sort out the splashes and the white water! There's one bit going up stream (the water looks incredible) where you go in a cave/overhang and there's white foam over the water...problem is, it looks like sand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't be a bad assumption. Uncharted's still looks the best :) Just sort out the splashes and the white water! There's one bit going up stream (the water looks incredible) where you go in a cave/overhang and there's white phone over the water...problem is, it looks like sand.

Well what do you expect when you throw your phone in the water. :LOL:

MGS4 no contest.
The water physics are the best yet and it is not pixelated like the water in Uncharted. It is the first water i've seen in a game that looks and acts like real water when you interact with it.

Screens don't begin to do it justice, but here's two anyway :)

Water_1.jpg

Hm...I love MGS4 but that water doesn't look all that great to me and I don't remember it to be outstanding either from playing.

Maybe you are right and I should replay those sections to see it in action again.

Love how MGS puts the blobs on your screen of course ;) Does it with blood etc. as well.

MGS4 no contest.
The water physics are the best yet and it is not pixelated like the water in Uncharted. It is the first water i've seen in a game that looks and acts like real water when you interact with it.

Screens don't begin to do it justice, but here's two anyway :)

Uncharted's water looks pixelated? The lighting, reflections, refractions and movement of Uncharted's different waters (they have lots of different types depending on location) trumps MGS4. Eg. The sunset at the U-Boat section, where, if you spin the camera you'll see reds and oranges mix with the greens of the forest, along with the reflection of the U-Boat. Just incredible.

Examples:

Uncharted15.jpg

Uncharted34.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l74/wotter/unchar_4-1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/Uncharted Grabs/Uncharted37.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/Loudone1/Uncharted_uboat-int-walking.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back