Best looking water in a console game this generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What game do you think has the best looking water so far?

For some reason, the water in Banjo and Uncharted looks a little different from the stuff we usually see. Are those games using a different method or what? Even Crysis (that's PC of course) looks more "normal". BTW, I'm only judging Banjo and Uncharted based on screen shots, while Crysis running very high (with tweaks) on my PC. You think current gen consoles will be able to push water even further without having to wait for the next generation of hardware?

Mmmm you didn't say "console exclusive", just console games. And Bioshock is obviously far more optimized for 360 than it was for PC.

To answer the question though... I'm trying to think what games have had good water, I can't really think of any off the top of my head. I seem to remember thinking Halo 3's was pretty nice.

Actually, I know - GTA4 has hands down the best looking water I've seen. It's stunning.

BioShock is the most obvious answer.

But there's more to it. Just the look of the water, or whether it actually "feels" wet when you interact with it? Uncharted is the only game I know that, when you enter water, leaves realistic wet clothes effects on your character. The water itself looks nice as well but I find it hard comparing it to that of BioShock or Crysis since one looks more plastic to me while another one looks more... wet and fluid.

But there's more to it. Just the look of the water, or whether it actually "feels" wet when you interact with it? Uncharted is the only game I know that, when you enter water, leaves realistic wet clothes effects on your character. The water itself looks nice as well but I find it hard comparing it to that of BioShock or Crysis since one looks more plastic to me while another one looks more... wet and fluid.

Do you ever see your character in bioshock though? Also the way water puts out fire plasmids or increases electrical plasma's its extremely realistic

if you do count in the upcoming games as well, then Resistance II has the best water at least from the look of it. i've yet to see it's ineraction but those waves looks truely 3D.
14vr51v.jpg

pic provided coz it's hard to find.

Of the games I've played:

1. Super Rub'a'Duck
2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (love the effect of wet clothes and general look (especially in the cutscene near start when they get on the plane from the water), otherwise the water interacting with objects and people didn't look that good (water flowing through rocks, uglish splashes).
3. GTA IV

Of the games I've played:

1. Super Rub'a'Duck
2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (love the effect of wet clothes and general look (especially in the cutscene near start when they get on the plane from the water), otherwise the water interacting with objects and people didn't look that good (water flowing through rocks, uglish splashes).
3. GTA IV

Heh, yeah Super Rub-a-Dub probably at least has by far the best water physics!

Uncharted 2 will be interesting. Uncharted 2's water was flat most of the time and primarily shader based. However, they were working on much more advanced 3D tech water, that didn't make it into the final game. It will be interesting to see if they come up with something.

Also, there are suggestions that water in Bioshock PS3 is further improved, so will be interesting to see as well.

We need more stuff like Super Rub-a-dub though, that was excellent. I remember the PS3 presentation with the water pouring thing with the EyeToy ... what happened with that? I want!

I think one of the Tomb Raider games out or to be relesaed has character that get wets after a "bath" (judging by the screensots). Though Uncharted water is flat, 2D water with shader for making 2D ripples like in Morrowind/Oblivion for example.

Otherwise Halo 3 has nice 3D interactive water, Bioshock water looks 3D though I base that on the DX10 version but maybe consoles has it to. GTA4 also has nice water and I think it was 3D to.
Oh yes now I remember, best water on console IMO but non interactive, Far Cry Instincts for xbox360.

Youtube video of the FC:Instincts water

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't so impressed with the water in Bioshock. When it's flowing and hits a surface it appears really fake and doesn't look correctly. A bit of a let down after they made such a big deal specifically about it.

I can't speak so much about console games but I did think GTA IV had good looking water. I also think that Resistance 2 shot looks very impressive. Crysis has been mentioned a few times and I actually think water is one of the weak points for Crysis as it has the overly thick/clay look to it sometimes, but interactive water and how it reacts is by far the best I've experienced.

I would give my vote to Halo 3. I like standing in the iver in the first level and seeing that the water is stirred up behind my character. :D Also, I often get thirsty playing multiplayer matches on Valhalla. :) Other already mentioned games like Uncharted, Banjo and Bioshock have wery nic water, too.

I've in fact never seen Haloi "in real" but I find the little video above interesting, it's interesting to see that this game who recieved so much bashing from the internet community due to is native res get quiet some stuffs right: water and lighning come in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back