Flat earth theorists

Bludd

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
Veteran
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7540427.stm

This article makes my brain hurt. Science is built on scepticism, but these guys are taking it too far. I bet they think germs and bacteria are inventions of the detergent industry and that there is a huge, international disinfectant conspiracy.

Son of a bitch. I hope to God their site is a joke site and that the community is a big hoax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Davis now believes "the Earth is flat and horizontally infinite - it stretches horizontally forever".

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anyone with a third grade science education knows there's no way a piece of land could ever be infinite.

That said, it makes me wonder how many of these people have studied university level astronomy?

But the people I refer to, they think that there are no such things as germs and bacteria.

Influenza is named thus because in ancient times, they though the stars made them sick (influenced them).

Ugh, this is subversive superstition. People who have lucky charms etc, that is harmless. This, however, is bad if these people make their unscientific views known to a large enough number of people who buy into them.

Nice post, but I was under the impression that the flat earth website was there just to piss people off. Such as the FE people laugh at others who think that the FE theories are actually serious.

Nice post, but I was under the impression that the flat earth website was there just to piss people off. Such as the FE people laugh at others who think that the FE theories are actually serious.
Nah, there's actually people that believe the Earth is flat. It seems a substantial portion of them are KJV-only Biblical literalists, who take the descriptions of the flat Earth in the Bible as true, and no amount of physical observation will dissuade them.

Nah, there's actually people that believe the Earth is flat. It seems a substantial portion of them are KJV-only Biblical literalists, who take the descriptions of the flat Earth in the Bible as true, and no amount of physical observation will dissuade them.

You can't use facts to argue against a viewpoint that is not based on any facts at all. You could take these people up mountains, in high aeroplanes, even into orbit, and they would still deny the observable facts in favour of what they "believe", coming up with some other nonsensical excuse to explain away the roundness of the earth with some rote-learned nonsense from a couple of thousand years ago, with nothing of any substance to back it up.

I tell you, there are people on this planet who have access to libraries, science, technology, education, but would rather be living in the middle ages and having religious patriarchs telling them what to think. Sheep, the lot of them.

wow! I didn't know there was such bullshit as late as the 19th century.

Theories about the earth being flat really came to the fore in 19th Century England. With the rise and rise of scientific rationalism, which seemed to undermine Biblical authority, some Christian thinkers decided to launch an attack on established science.

Samuel Birley Rowbotham (1816-1884) assumed the pseudonym of "Parallax" and founded a new school of "Zetetic astronomy". He toured England arguing that the Earth was a stationary disc and the Sun was only 400 miles away.

In the 1870s, Christian polemicist John Hampden wrote numerous works about the Earth being flat, and described Isaac Newton as "in liquor or insane".

maybe because of these nutters there was the misconception that the catholic church thought Earth was flat during Cristobal Columbus's days. The actual story wasn't that they told him he would fall off the cliff, but that Colombus and guys from the Church disagreed on the Earth's size. He thought the Earth was smaller than what it is and they told him, you'll die long before reaching India, it's too far away.

maybe because of these nutters there was the misconception that the catholic church thought Earth was flat during Cristobal Columbus's days. The actual story wasn't that they told him he would fall off the cliff, but that Colombus and guys from the Church disagreed on the Earth's size. He thought the Earth was smaller than what it is and they told him, you'll die long before reaching India, it's too far away.

Yeah. Actually Columbus deliberately chose the smallest estimation of the Earth's size, but were refuted by a guy from the Church. And actually the Church guy is correct because if there's no America Columbus would certainly fail to find India.

Back