Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't know what other choices there are. It's not Dragon's Lair style QTEs, the 'alternate path' QTEs are fairly novel. The alternative would be to have some sort of combo system, but that wouldn't look much better and wouldn't suit the style of game.

Well, it's bad from the "there's absolutely no way to lose no matter how stupid you are" viewpoint. Something a lot of modern Adventure games suffer from. So not exactly something to ding the game with. Although it does make the combat pretty pointless.

No matter what you do, it'll still the same. But that fits perfectly with interactive novel rather than game... So nothing wrong with it, but probably not something I'd like, just like I absolutely hated the last PoP which had the same thought process.

I'm more interested at this point to see how the adventure game portion plays out. Will the puzzles be sufficiently thought provoking or will it basically hold your hand through the whole thing and make sure it's obvious what a person should do at any given moment.

Regards,
SB

Well, it's bad from the "there's absolutely no way to lose no matter how stupid you are" viewpoint. Something a lot of modern Adventure games suffer from. So not exactly something to ding the game with. Although it does make the combat pretty pointless.

No matter what you do, it'll still the same. But that fits perfectly with interactive novel rather than game... So nothing wrong with it, but probably not something I'd like, just like I absolutely hated the last PoP which had the same thought process.

I'm more interested at this point to see how the adventure game portion plays out. Will the puzzles be sufficiently thought provoking or will it basically hold your hand through the whole thing and make sure it's obvious what a person should do at any given moment.

Regards,
SB

But it's not a "you can't lose no matter what". It's a "we won't make you lose until you have so many missteps that you deserve it". One mistake won't kill you, but many mistakes will. That's how QTE's should be. The reason most people "hate" QTE's as they are now is because they not only take control away from you, but they are all linear and will kill you for one mistake, at which point you have to restart the entire thing and watch the same crap over and over again until you get it right.

Playing Heavy Rain, you would (in theory) be able to play the same set piece multiple times and experience a different scene multiple times within that same set piece. I don't see how this is "bad".

But it's not a "you can't lose no matter what". It's a "we won't make you lose until you have so many missteps that you deserve it". One mistake won't kill you, but many mistakes will.
But if you don't do anything at all, shouldn't you lose? If there's no negative, there no incentive to try to win, and you lose the emotional engagement. I guess first-time players won't be aware of this and will want to fight assuming it's necessary, but it does seem stupid (assuming said previewer is actually right about how it works!).

I agree QTE's shouldn'y be all-or-nothing events, but there also has to be consequences. It should be a branchinf experience, where the more you get right, the better the outcome for you, and vice versa. Doing nothing should result in failure of a sorts.

Because of this:

according to a previewer, he didn't die when he missed all the cues. He tried a few combos, but the story didn't make much differences at the end of the demo.

And you also said:

Playing Heavy Rain, you would (in theory) be able to play the same set piece multiple times and experience a different scene multiple times within that same set piece. I don't see how this is "bad".

So, it looks like what we want as an *ideal* gameplay mechanics is different from what previewer said. If that's true of course.

They will need to release a demo with couple of scenes, not just one, where different QTE choices or if you miss them all, would have a consequence to the other scene(s) - "if (x) then (y)".
Aftear all, it is the most talked-about "feature" of the game, that there are consequences to what you do in the game. IF there are not, then what the hell they've been doing with the game for so long.

Edit: Shifty posted. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to play this game. All the videos and previews I've seen has me itching to try it out. I watched the January Qore episode yesterday. They played a few scenes from Heavy Rain and prompted you for your action. I was a cop investigating a junk yard. The guy pulled a gun on me when my back was turned. I opted to fight the guy. We fought and I got the upper hand. I replayed and decided to talk my way out of the situation and was instead killed.

There were other options I didn't try but I like the branching of the contextual QTE's. I like that because I didn't press "X" to jump out of the way of something I didn't fail and have to start the entire scene over. Instead, I failed to press "X" therefore, my character trips and falls or crashes into the object causing me to lose the person I was chasing or just slows me down. Maybe I am hyping myself up for this but I can't wait to experience what this game has to offer.

But if you don't do anything at all, shouldn't you lose? If there's no negative, there no incentive to try to win, and you lose the emotional engagement. I guess first-time players won't be aware of this and will want to fight assuming it's necessary, but it does seem stupid (assuming said previewer is actually right about how it works!).

I agree QTE's shouldn'y be all-or-nothing events, but there also has to be consequences. It should be a branchinf experience, where the more you get right, the better the outcome for you, and vice versa. Doing nothing should result in failure of a sorts.

I'm pretty sure there are some events that will result in your death, and others that will not.

So, it looks like what we want as an *ideal* gameplay mechanics is different from what previewer said. If that's true of course.

Not really. It's just that like real life, sometimes it has impact, sometimes it doesn't. I do not think that the events must always have different outcomes. It could be there for other reasons (e.g., to engage the user better while watching a cutscene).

They will need to release a demo with couple of scenes, not just one, where different QTE choices or if you miss them all, would have a consequence to the other scene(s) - "if (x) then (y)".
Aftear all, it is the most talked-about "feature" of the game, that there are consequences to what you do in the game. IF there are not, then what the hell they've been doing with the game for so long.

Edit: Shifty posted. :)

Different outcome is possible but at the same time I won't want to commit to a shallow experience like that. This is because short term cause-n-effect is usually not interesting. It would become artificial/"gamey", like a menu choice Flash game, and even more similar to standard QTEs, and the Dragon Lair negative example.

What they want is an organic experience where people are captivated by the story, keep guessing at the future, and interested to see where it leads to. IMHO, the choices (or illusion of choices) are necessary, but they may not be the essence of the game (It's only a UI, or a low-level mechanics). The demo needs to provoke emotion (boring/regular activities, with interesting, unexpected emotional spikes). The experiences and outcomes need to be non-obvious -- It's not a sequence of simple "If I do this, he/she will do that" actions.

From the previews, it seems that the shopping mall scene packs some emotion and confusing punch. I'd like to see that for myself.

EDIT:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/heavy-rain-officially-releasing-on-february-23/

For US:
Fans of Heavy Rain can get their hands on this highly emotional thriller beginning Tuesday, February 23rd at participating retail stores.

EU date is supposed to be 24th, according to Joystiq.

I've played through a few of the scenes. The shopping mall I played three times doing different things - each one had different outcomes.

One I talked the robber down and he left.
Two he shot me in the arm and I fought with him.
Three I knocked him out.

All different, all based on my actions, and all different dialogue. However, in a way they all ended the same - with me talking to the shop keeper about the oragami killer.

Judging from Cornsnake's comments about their earlier game, I think the same dev already know how to use these in-game decision/event mechanism effectively. Some choices may require exploration to uncover. I could see how the actions may be time sensitive in more ways (e.g., only appear at night, or when no one's around).

It's a matter of whether the moments will grab you. And whether you like the story and character. I think the previewers also said it takes time to get used to the controls. IMHO, this is the most likely source of complain. That and uncanny valley.

EDIT: The most difficult problem is probably to help core gamers understand the gameplay, and convince them that it's not a QTE game. Hopefully, the demo will work.

Judging from Cornsnake's comments about their earlier game, I think the same dev already know how to use these in-game decision/event mechanism effectively. Some choices may require exploration to uncover. I could see how the actions may be time sensitive in more ways (e.g., only appear at night, or when no one's around).

It's a matter of whether the moments will grab you. And whether you like the story and character. I think the previewers also said it takes time to get used to the controls. IMHO, this is the most likely source of complain. That and uncanny valley.

EDIT: The most difficult problem is probably to help core gamers understand the gameplay, and convince them that it's not a QTE game. Hopefully, the demo will work.

That's what surprised me the most. The amount of control you have over each of the characters is quite amazing and surprising.

Gah... I'll skip that for now. Have already decided to buy the game anyway.

For what it's worth, here's an interview with a fake David Cage:
http://translate.google.it/translat...atore-david-cage.php&sl=it&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

The Italian gaming site seems to mistaken another David Cage for the real one over Twitter... according to GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19269888&postcount=1823

From what I can gather, Cage was contact via his Twitter account (http://twitter.com/davidcage) to do that interview. The only problem is that is not really him behind the Twitter account. But the guy who was creating the fake tweets still answered the interviewer's questions. Hence, it is a fake.

>_< if true.

For what it's worth, here's an interview with a fake David Cage

:D Funny :D

Also, I don't think there's anything that can really be considered a 'spolier' in that linked vid, but it's pretty cool.

Definately one of my most wanted titles of 2010. Probably top 3 for me.

Heavy Rain Official Website Live:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/01/15/heavy-rain-official-website-live-and-more/

I’m pleased to confirm that the official Heavy Rain website is now live. You can head over there right now to check out screenshots, character info and videos. But that’s not all – you can also find out about ‘Four Days’ – the Heavy Rain Online Experience…

Four Days’ is a live online mystery which plays out in real time across three weeks, beginning on January 26th. You’ll be able to get involved in the hunt for a killer – interacting with characters, identifying clues, making decisions. Between Tuesday and Friday of each week there will be daily tasks for you to complete, or puzzles to solve. Along the way, you may well discover some cool exclusive content – but just as importantly, you won’t find any spoilers that will ruin your experience of playing Heavy Rain itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back