Y'all gonna hate me :)

On 2002-02-14 20:53, Matt wrote:
Ich:

Actually I have a Soyo S7KDA ALi MagicK 1 motherboard. It seems to work fine, stable in Windows and stuff, but in some games, there was numerous problems. Not sure if there's a documented problem on it with the R8500 though.

Doomtrooper:

http://www.3dgpu.com/misc_images/desktopgames.jpg

Start counting, bucko.

Ahhh not using official drivers will lead to this, I believe it was 6011's, BTW enabling clear type fonts will fix this or better yet get tha latest drivers off ATIs webpage that was released today.

Now if were gonna compare driver problems:

http://www.nvnews.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4

Doomtrooper, I think you were meant to count the number of games/demo's, not comment on the text corruption probably cause by JPEG compression :smile:

Ichneumon - I think it was KingRolo who had the Epox problem.

Its a shame, I have zip problems caused by my Epox/8500 set up.

DOH!!

Well Have installed over 22 games on my system and they all run GREAT !!
So there is a problem with someones configuration, and its not mine.

Games on my system presently:

1) Quake 3..for benchmarking ONLY
2) Throne of Darkness
3) Diablo 2
4) Unreal Tournament
5) AVP2
6) MOHAA
7) Serious Sam 1
:cool: Serious Sam 2
9) Maddeon 2002
10) NHL 2002
11) Red Faction
12) Severence: Blade of Darkness
13) Giants
14) Original Duke 3D <---gotta love it
15) Black and White
16) Soldier of Fortune
17) Halflife
18) Nascar 4
19) NFS 4
20) Rune
21) Max Payne
22) High Heat Baseball 2002

Doomtrooper, I think you were meant to count the number of games/demo's, not comment on the number of games installed on your computer... :smile:

Apologies to Randall for plagiarizing most of his spot-on post.

Regards

It's okay Infadel, Doomtrooper sometimes makes mistakes. :smile: I use 1280x1024 but resized the image to fit in my forums better. I believe that causes the weird text issues.

Doomtrooper:

Impressive list there. I'm glad they all work for you, just wish the same could be said for me. :cry:

Uhm, I must ask though, what's up with the "let's compare driver problems" bit you posted? I'm confused as to where this comes into this post. It seems you're justifying the bugginess of ATI's drivers by pointing out that NVIDIA has bugs in their drivers too. Every hardware in existence will have bugs in them, it's a matter of fact.

FWIW, I was using official drivers from ATI. They were the WinXP drivers that were out at the time. I don't even think there was even leaked beta WinXP drivers at the time, because the R8500 was still fairly new. From what I'm seeing though, ATI have cleaned up the drivers quite good now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt on 2002-02-15 04:48 ]</font>

I could link to

1) Your comments about how $hitty ATI drivers were on your forums on 3DGPU
2) Your comments about me on your forums about Ps 1.4..(I feel special) ;)

You were using the original drivers because I took special interest in your posts. You were playing DAOC and complaining about crashes...sorry never saw that either.

You were complaining about games not working due to drivers , well my certified technician that worked for me that has about 600 computers under his belt is posting on Nvnews this week.

FYI

http://www.nvnews.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&amp;f=4&amp;t=000845

1) Go for it, I still stand by those comments on those drivers I used.
2) See above.

Wow, certified technician. Want a cookie? :D

I just did a search at Rage3D for DAOC:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthr...e7a5&amp;threadid=33603114&amp;highlight=DAoC

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthr...e7a5&amp;threadid=33602469&amp;highlight=DAoC

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthr...e7a5&amp;threadid=33592899&amp;highlight=DAoC

Bummer, I guess you're the only one not having problems in that game with a R8500, and I guess I'm the only one who had problems with it in DAoC. Sigh ...

P.S. Even more threads with users reporting problems with DAoC, I just listed 3 for convenience's sake.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt on 2002-02-15 08:05 ]</font>

The post was to show that every video card has problems. Its also shows how childish you still are with your kid like comments. Yes a certified technician, not someone who built his first computer, not someone thats never done it before, but has had lots of indepth training.
Yes I've been hanging out there, trying to help him solve his issues. I certainly don't hang out on 3DGPU, if you don't run a Nvidia card and praise the NV, then your an oustsider and get flamed every time anything negetive is said about Nv. :rollseyes:

All hardware has bugs...some big...some small...many bugs are never even noticed by the end user, as there are workarounds made via drivers...

But there is a difference between 'pretty good' and 'very consistent'...

But honestly...All you have to do is listen to what John Carmack had to say. The little pat-on-the-back to the OGL driver team @ nVidia was a rather profound thing to say, when you consider the fact that we ARE talking about JC...The man thinks so highly of their drivers that he immediately goes into "OK...It cannot possibly be them...it must be me" mode...and that's a rather profound/flattering comment to make.

I honestly think somebody in a different forum said it best. ATI is, right now, where nVidia was in the TNT-era...The drivers were maturing, and they were getting better all the time...I think it will take ATI a few more chips before they will be in nVidia's league, IMHO...

On 2002-02-15 07:54, Matt wrote:
1) Go for it, I still stand by those comments on those drivers I used.
2) See above.

Wow, certified technician. Want a cookie? :D

I just did a search at Rage3D for DAOC:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthr...e7a5&amp;threadid=33603114&amp;highlight=DAoC

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthr...e7a5&amp;threadid=33602469&amp;highlight=DAoC

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthr...e7a5&amp;threadid=33592899&amp;highlight=DAoC

Bummer, I guess you're the only one not having problems in that game with a R8500, and I guess I'm the only one who had problems with it in DAoC. Sigh ...

P.S. Even more threads with users reporting problems with DAoC, I just listed 3 for convenience's sake.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Matt on 2002-02-15 08:05 ]</font>

Lol did you EVEN bother reading those posts !! One of them I helped troubleshoot, he had a bad memory chip on his card, even on post had artifacts the others were just settings in the display tab :rollseyes:

On 2002-02-14 14:33, Mize wrote:

The 128MB card may be a bit faster owing to less bus use, but that's about it. FSAA shouldn't be any faster, but higher resolutions are supported.

Actually they can be faster in high-res FSAA modes due less texture trashing as more local video memory will be free.

Type:
I honestly think somebody in a different forum said it best. ATI is, right now, where nVidia was in the TNT-era...The drivers were maturing, and they were getting better all the time...I think it will take ATI a few more chips before they will be in nVidia's league, IMHO...

I agree with that 100%. My old TNT had a lot of bugs and one still persist in my new GF3 drivers like the display timing problems with my Sony trinitron monitor (I have to specify the General Timing Formula :rollseyes: ).

Radeon 2D/3D image quality are great and drivers a much more mature. But anyway the nvidia drivers after a lot of time/money investment are "gold standard" for some developers, I hope ATI will follow nvidia path.

You know I really do believe this driver BS about ATi is blown way out of proportion. I know a number of people with a Radeon 8500 and not one of them has EVER complained to me about its performance, even if I pester them about it! Additionally when I go online I see, what seems to me, a lot of posts about how bad their drivers are. Moreover when someone actually implies that ATi has good products and that is based on their experience they get flamed by what seems to be an ridiculously large number of people.(Like DoomTrooper for instance.) You got to wonder how many posters are actually being legit. I think that there is a lot of nvidia fan boys out there making mountains out of molehills with regards to ATi and their drivers. I am getting pretty sick of the nvidia fan boys organizing the show at every site I go to when I read about graphics. Oh well pretty soon (the way the market is going for ATi) the only company to buy graphics cards from will be nvidia anyhow. (I actually get a bit nauseated when I think about it) Then all these jerks who faked being ATi card owners and made artificial claims about how meager their drivers really are will have to pay top dollar for nvidia products because nvidia will dictate the whole game and have little or no rivalry to keep them competitive in product and pricing. This is not to say that ATi is not deserving of some ridicule with regards to its driver development but that nvidia is making them look worse then they really are for the sake of market share. Now you can make claims that no one does this sort of thing if you like but I think that nvidia is taking advantage of this fact and taking it a little further then they should by creating a driver smear campaign against ATi. ATi really is an excellent company with a wide variety of products (the same can not be said for nvidia) really I think that they are getting the “bum wrapâ€￾ here. When I think of all the filthy tricks that nvidia has played to get where they are it just about makes me sick, sad really, and what makes it worse is to know that in the future I will be forced to buy their products……..at whatever price they want.

Sabastian

Typedef Enum,

Hmmm. I agree that what JC said was a nice compliment about Nvidias OpenGL. That does not remove the fact that Nvidia still releases buggy drivers from time to time. Their entire 23.xx set was very problematic for many people.

I also partially agree with your statement about ATi and where they are at. Gernerally Speaking their hardware is beyond Nvidia and everyone else taken from a pure feature standpoint. So I resent the implication from your post that "the need a coupple more chips to get to where Nvidia is". I know you were talking about drivers, but that does not come through real clear and may be misinterpreted. Driver Wise, If Ati continues down the Unified driver path then you are probably right. If they however, fall off the turnip truck, and bail the unified driver..... We ati owners could be in for the long haul..... ;)

At any rate, I find that people have similar complaints to ATi about Nvidia drivers, and products on Nvidia sites and Game sites. The difference being that usually everyone expects to see a fix right around the corner. Hopefully ATi will get to the place where, regardless off the problem, the confidense is there that It will get resolved. That ATi's Driver Team is competent and DESIRES to get the absolute BEST out of the hardware they can.

Sabastian,

Doomtrooper is PRO ATi.

What wnenever you guys need a whipping boy his name is at the top of the list or something?

ohhhh...

Ati is doing fine. They are not going anywhere. They nearly daily sign new 3rd party vendors to sell their Radeon line. Their Laptop market strength is very high.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hellbinder[CE] on 2002-02-15 17:26 ]</font>

&lt;rant>
OK, I just couldn't keep it to myself this time...I too agree with Rev that ben6 is somewhat boastful with his posts pertaining being that he is "in the know". Kinda like *neener* *neener* posts if you ask me...but oh well he's free to post what he feels like posting so I guess it's ok in that aspect.

BTW, this isn't coming out from my ass as I've been lurking B3D for a while and can recall numerous ben6 style posts where he'll state he knows something but under is obviously under an NDA...IMHO I'd keep stuff like that to myself, no sense in boasting.

&lt;/rant>

Matt,

I'm on the DAoC Euro beta and the only problem I've ever had from teh 7206's through to the 9106's is losing my character 'paper-doll' if I've left w-buffer enabled.

I know Doomtrooper can seem a rah rah no problems here move along, but honestly some of us 8500 users are OK with our rigs &amp; games:)

On 2002-02-15 17:23, Hellbinder[CE] wrote:
Sabastian,

Doomtrooper is PRO ATi.

What wnenever you guys need a whipping boy his name is at the top of the list or something?

Whatever man, how many "whipping boys" are on the nvidia fan boy list tha are PRO nvidia? God forbid someone have some "PRO" comments for ATi.

Sabastian

Oh BTW how can anyone think Ben's and Rev's comments were anything but banter with us?

IT'S only a graphics card/gaming!

Back