Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked out the PSN version, and I was completely wrong in my original take on the lip-syncing being dubbed in German. It's English, recording a date and time, but the lip-syncing was atrocious. If they haven't got that working correctly, the whole illusion is doomed.

I checked out the PSN version, and I was completely wrong in my original take on the lip-syncing being dubbed in German. It's English, recording a date and time, but the lip-syncing was atrocious. If they haven't got that working correctly, the whole illusion is doomed.

Well we know they will have it working, as that's where a lot of their research has been focused.

It seems it's full of quick time events again... For me that's bad. I thought we were through the Dragon's Lair days...

The sound sync is slightly off in the released trailer.

It seems it's full of quick time events again... For me that's bad. I thought we were through the Dragon's Lair days...

I'm more worried about the use of the motion control. Out of all the games that I played that use it, I only like it in Folklore. The rest is always better with traditional controls IMO.

Someone hasn't read the info on gameplay.

You control the character, everywhere she goes, what decisions she makes and what to interact with.

In some outcomes of your decisions, eg. getting caught by the guy (you could have run out of the house.) you can control what to interact with to defeat him and survive...eg. look at the phone and you can hit him with the phone, look at the window and you jump out the window, look at the stairs and you can make a run for it. There aren't set quick time events...and none are fatal if you miss them. Yes you could miss a button and he kills you with the knife, but the story will continue with that character dead.

I think it's interesting - in this case what seems like QTE is actually a mix between QTE and mouse-clicking on an object to use it as you would in a more traditional point and click adventure game.

It was more than slightly off when I watched it. The lips were moving when there was no speech, rather than a fraction of a second mis-syncing. I'm sure it'll be fixed, but it does ruin the illusion of the trailer to a good degree.

:LOL: If it's that bad, I'm sure they will fix it. The demo is not part of the game anyway, so I am guessing they will get to it eventually (or may be never -- should they show the actual game scenes later).

:D

I didn't mean the "dragon's lair" comment to be taken literally.;)
Qte's are fun in games like RE4 or GoW, but I think that a game that relies that heavily on them is more of an interactive movie...

I think the point is, they aren't QTEs in Heavy Rain. They are more like Madden, i.e. symbols on screen which allow you to press the corresponding button if you so choose to perform that action.

True. The whole point Heavy Rain is trying to make is that even if you "fail" and get killed during one of these events, the game progresses and so does the story.

I heard there are 8 different characters you play as, depending on whether you die and where and whatnot.

I am so sold.

True. The whole point Heavy Rain is trying to make is that even if you "fail" and get killed during one of these events, the game progresses and so does the story.

I heard there are 8 different characters you play as, depending on whether you die and where and whatnot.

I am so sold.

Wow ! Is that true? That is so cool! Does any other game offers this?
That will make me replay it god knows how many times, permutations and combinations depending on the situations in which a character can die.

And yes, those are options of actions not QTEs exactly.If they map a throw object to "X" and block with object to "O" and likewise then this kind of gameplay can become intuitive.So, you see a vase, and instinctively you press"X' to throw it at him, you see a table or something, you press "O" to block with it.

and the face of the girl is completely stiff when she talks and enters the room and turns around! Where did all the mocap tech go ?:rolleyes:

Wow ! Is that true? That is so cool! Does any other game offers this?

That's what I last heard ;) Don't take my word for it though, we should wait for them to dump more info about the game till we know what it will be like for sure.

Also, no I doubt any other game did something like that. I would probably know :p

Translated preview from Meristation

http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1925888&postcount=165

We were able to watch the game shine at LGC, and truth be told, it's surprising what's being achieved with this title; enough is said when the worldwide press staff applauded what was happening on the screen: tension, graphical prowess, awe-inspiring narrative, great sound score...

More details in the link. I see that Heavy Rain aims to play with my emotion.

I think the point is, they aren't QTEs in Heavy Rain. They are more like Madden, i.e. symbols on screen which allow you to press the corresponding button if you so choose to perform that action.

If by that you mean that each symbol represents the same action then I'm Ok.
But it seemed to me by the EU trailer on psn that it was random.
I think that you'll be able to perform actions the way you described when you control your character directly. And at some points, the game will enter cutscene mode were you'll have to press buttons to clear them...

If by that you mean that each symbol represents the same action then I'm Ok.
But it seemed to me by the EU trailer on psn that it was random.
I think that you'll be able to perform actions the way you described when you control your character directly. And at some points, the game will enter cutscene mode were you'll have to press buttons to clear them...

I think, like MGS4, even if the game is in cutscene mode, the player can look around. As you pan the environment, it is possible to say, choose the window or the front door to enter the building. Cutscenes and gameplay are the same thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back