Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepbrown

Veteran
Well, I thought I'd start up another thread for Quantic Dream's upcoming PS3 game Heavy Rain.

heavyrain-three.jpg

The new screenshots that were in the last thread can be found in this gallery: http://www.ripten.com/heavy-rain-image-gallery/

A new french video tour of Quantic Dream's studio can be found here: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/250288.html

And here's an old IGN interview that will let you in on some information about the game: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/711/711613p3.html

Why is "Realtime Footage" in the name of the thread? Who knows when will trailer hit the web...

There's what appears to be a tiny bit of HR footage running (crappily I might say) in a dev's workstation (devkit?) in the video linked in the OP.

Can't wait to see what they've shown in closed doors at E3. GC can't come soon enough. :smile:

Why is "Realtime Footage" in the name of the thread? Who knows when will trailer hit the web...

Yes...in the video i linked there's a short demo of the town we see in the screenshots. Not high quality though, but gives you an idea...first such footage we've seen.

Hmm, I'd hardly call that realtime footage. It's a terrible framerate and looks like it isn't running on the console either. I'm gonna edit the title.

"All shadows are dynamic ."
Does he mean all lights cast shadows, or no prebaked lighting?
The exact interpretation would mean all shadows are being created in realtime, which ought to cover character and scenery shadows. Convention may see them mean character shadows only, but if they have an open world with day/night cycle, like GTA they'll have be doing the whole lot in realtime.

Would be interesting to know if it's using deferred rendering like KZ2 and GTA4, and how it is different.

David Cage
Nowadays, video games are a media that reaches maturity. And that is starting to imply emotions, just like movies, litterature or theatre. We're trying to make people cry or laugh when they play a video game. It's only getting started and is the goal of our industry for the upcoming years.

I hope the game has Uncharted's shadow quality. The low res and flickering shadow will kill any realism in the character model. The screens look good overall. Can't wait to see more than the close up facial (or rather, eyes) video.

Would be interesting to know if it's using deferred rendering like KZ2 and GTA4, and how it is different.

I hope the game has Uncharted's shadow quality. The low res and flickering shadow will kill any realism in the character model. The screens look good overall. Can't wait to see more than the close up facial (or rather, eyes) video.

I think they'll be soft and...flickery.

Saw it unfold @ GAF. Still not digging the face (too smooth and plastic-y) but my god im loving the environment!

The lighting, the shadows, the textures, it looks great. Hope to see more HR in the future :D

As the audio was dubbed in German (or at least the lips didn't match anything she was saying!), we've no idea of the lip-syncing quality which was so off in the Audition demo. Did look fabulous in visuals. Dubious about gameplay, as it looks very QTE based, like a souped-up Dragon's Lair!

Gamespot preview: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/heavyrain/news.html?sid=6196255

This was a much more intense, action-filled scenario, the kind in which you feel like you're in serious danger, but these were only two of the possible scenarios that a player could have gone through. We were told that the player controlling Madison had messed up numerous times but still managed to escape. You could have killed the villain in various ways; you could have stayed hidden and called the police. Madison could also be killed, and the fascinating part is that the game would not be over. Events would merely continue with that information taken into account. Cage was tight-lipped about any further details as to how this would work or how things would continue, but we do know that there is no game over in Heavy Rain.

We also know that there are 60 scenes in Heavy Rain, and each one will have different gameplay and narrative. The overall theme will be dark, given that it's a thriller. Cage tells us that the game will be full of twists and turns and will include many surprises. He says that it will offer a new way of interacting with a new kind of storytelling that extends beyond the cutscenes and never-ending dialogue. In this new genre, it's not about your reaction and how you move the controller, but about what decisions you make as a player to make the story unfold. The experience will be different each time.

From what we've seen so far, this is shaping up to be a game that will keep gamers talking until the shipping date. Quantic Dream has been very careful about keeping the story secret, and from this latest demo, the story and experience can only get better. In our brief adventure with Madison, we already felt like we were a part of the story in the way that the action, dialogue, and sound were handled. Visually, the characters come strikingly close to looking real, not just in terms of the graphics but also in how their movements and voice acting enhance that sense of realism. Even though it is a single-player game, watching the events unfold is just as intense and exciting for an audience.

Oh man. I've been reading impressions and watched the video on YT and I am seriously pumped and intrigued by this game!

Hopefully that interactive storyline will be better than Fahrenheit's, which no matter what choices you made, you would always end up with the same outcome several times during the storyline. And the different ending's were only effected by your few choices in the final short chapter.

Edit: They explained Fahrenheit's interactive storyline with the same rubberband example, so I guess it's the same here, just more way's to interact. I do like the fact that there is no game over. Fahrenheit had some weird game over's, like a policewoman quitting her job because she was afraid to go in a dark basement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back